Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad from Arsenal if he comes like Gray has a point to prove . To there old clubs and more importantly to themselves. He win 4/5 caps for England when he played as RB and I’m sure any negotiations would involve talk of playing at RB . He’s young // he has pace about him // can carry the ball . Just because he hasn’t a 50mill price tag or a Italian sounding name you can’t dismiss him as a player . Who knows with a alleged 2nd bid gone in for the Scottish lad maybe Niles is seen as a centre Mid ??? Rondon I suspect will come in on a free with low wages , certainly not the figures the doomsayers are saying on this thread . It’ll be another really good bit of business on a 12 month contract . Then for me it’s either one of Diaz // Lingard // Dan James ( loan ) and I reckon that will be our lot !!
This thread is going to be bonkers tomorrow
Tomorrow is one of those days to start the day with a nice chianti

Would rather have Patterson on a permanent but a loan for this guy is a big improvement on Kenny as back up. He's quick and strong too and able to cover different positions. We could have done with him on the bench at the weekend for instance.

I think Seamus has proven that he is still a decent option, but he needs to be used sparingly to keep him fit for the bigger games. This signing will enable us to do that IMO.

It may not solve our long term problem but it's a decent short term solution IMO. He was excellent in the FA Cup final just over 12 months ago against a good Chelsea team, at left wing back too, so it shows he has it in his locker.

Might be a chance of us doing both?

Patterson is still 19.

Might be a chance of us doing both?

Patterson is still 19.
I wouldn't say no to that. Our bench the other day shows just how short our squad is.

My only concern is that Maitland Niles being here would limit opportunities for the young lad to develop. He needs to be playing and I still need convincing that we have a manager that is prepared to trust in youth.

Really? He’s awful. One good game in 15. Really smashed it out of the park in Germany and at Fulham. He’s everything that has been wrong with our recruitment process over the last few years. Won’t be a starter for Leicester. Squad filler.

….’everything that has been wrong with our recruitment process over the past few years’, seems way off the mark.

If anything the one area we’ve had success is buying young prospects for a low fee (Lookman, DCL, Holgate, Stones etc). What’s wrong with our recruitment process is buying ordinary players for ridiculous amounts of money.

Its giving lads an opportunity to play.

There is a psychological theory in sport called superstar theory, essentially there are superstars - that are always tipped to make it coming up the ranks, all the talent in the world, highly regarded. But they dont make it as they dont put the hard yards in at important parts of development.

Then there are lads below the superstars, who get knocked back, not favored, rejected and are left out on the ledge. They become hungry, hard working, convince themselves to work hard to achieve and react to the adversity and build resilience- some overtake the superstars and become top players. But they need the opportunity they need the foundation to play, they need to be developed nurtured and cultivated,, they need the opportunity to play and develop - im thinking of the likes of Arteta here. Gray may be a current case in point.

We can give some of these players an opportunity a foundation to develop. There is a vacuum there, if you pick the right ones, with the right character in my opinion. Its historically what we are good, we've been a great club for it and in a way we need to get back to it.

As i said earlier, you need to back your manager to develop these players and your DOF to make the right decisions.

Yes that's a really interesting concept, and to a degree you see it a lot with the England team don't you? Loads of lads from un-fancied academies who get that critical experience between 18-22 playing 1st team football. Almost that harshness that this involves makes them more rounded and ready to step up. Try as we might, it's very hard to replicate at top clubs.

I think attitude is right too. A lot of the players I mentioned had a bit of a chip on their shoulder. I felt we might get that with Gray, having a bit of a point to prove, and Niles may be similar. I always thought Moyes both had that character and looked for it in players as well. The sorts of people who would muck in and look a bit resentfully at those above them and want to turn them over. Overall we have probably signed too many superstars over the last 5 years, and not enough lads who really appreciate being here.

As for backing the DOF/manager yes. However hard that feels of course you have to give their signings a fair chance. In fairness this summer,- and I know it's early days- the signings have started well. If we can improve the squad with 4 or 5 first team options for under 10m it's outstanding business and not a continuation with the first 2-3 years under Moshiri.

Benitez bolstering the squad with players with premier league experience, pace, and a point to prove. Far far better than us begging players who don’t really want to play for us to be here then giving them over 100k a week for the luxury of them turning out and pretending to run for us.

I have just said similar above.

We have tried to bring in a level of player we couldn't have before with money, but for the most part they feel they are doing us a favour. It's been a bit of a disaster really. Of late, the last 2 seasons anyway, we seem to have brought players in who want to be here. Allan is perhaps the exception to the above rule, as he was a superstar, but seems to be a great pro and I could never question his work ethic or application.

We are signing players and almost saying to them "go on then, go and show them why they were wrong about you". That feels a far better model to me.

I know people are pining for this Luiz fella from Porto. I'm not wholly sold on him mate. He's scored 6 league goals his last 2 seasons. I'm not sure why we would be wanting to spend 40m+ on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back