Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton takeover rumours

Will anything come of today's buyer/investor news?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it works mate to be honest, especially these days as people are on to it.

I think they do it as they're a bit clueless mate and like to appear to be doing 'something' rather than 'nothing'.

Totally understand what you mean, but I think we sometimes fit our ideas of the board to meet our own narrative.

On one hand they're stupid and put out stories like this without realising that it makes them look even worse, enter in to poor commercial agreements because they don't realise we could do better, and get duped by people living in bedsits. On the other hand, they have achieved their primary objective of keeping hold of the club for 20 years, while also keeping the majority of the fan base on side, controlling the media to ensure that they never get any negative press, and tying potential investors in legal knots which mean that they can't disclose their interest before, during, or many years after they enter in to talks. It's very difficult to see how they can be criminally incompetent and evil geniuses at the same time.

People always seem to say that the board put these stories out as a 'smokescreen' or to 'take the heat off'. Does anybody have a reasonable idea of why they would do this?

I mean, it's totally and utterly counter-productive. 90% of the fan based is resigned/pleased with the current regime and is not looking for a takeover, so why would they suddenly put out a story that one was imminent - only for it to fall through AGAIN. It makes them look incompetent, adds fuel to the idea that the asking price is too high/club isn't for sale, and wakes up a percentage of the fan base who were just content to drift along.

I can understand that they might have done it once. Maybe even twice if they thought it had been successful the first time. But the idea that they 'always do it when theres an AGM, ST deadline etc' is ridiculous. I'm not a defender of the board, but it doesn't help when their actual failings get lost in a sea of conspiracy theories and made up rubbish.

Its also around the same time as most other Companies AGM's/accounts etc, so they may also be using us/football team investment as a ploy also.

My take for what its worth.
Rumours crop up each year usually as stated specific times. Most can be dismissed instantly .I too cant see any benefit to the club & board to release these rumours , some may say to buy time but all I see is the way it alienates the fans & whips up an anti board momentum . Never a good thing in this business.
This one (could be a million miles away like) Why would these guys be over here in close season to attend a testimonial , then if facebook / twitter are to be believed to be here again for the Man Utd game ? Even to the point of walking round the pich being photographed . Cant remember seeing many Sheiks showing up twice in such a short space of time. They certainly fit the profile of owners we should be courting , being successful and have the right business acumen we need .
Maybe Bill has finally given up waiting for the "Rich Sheik" or next "Fashionable Oligarch" and sees them as the right people to take the club forward.

But then again they could just be here to see if our famous "Foot Long Hotdogs" are better than the Kansas equivalent :coffee:

Like others have said I would file this under 'AGM approaching'

It's easy to be cynical, especially with our board, but there's always going to be something coming up :-

• Season Tickets go on sale
  • Summer Transfer Window
  • Accounts Due Out
  • AGM coming up
  • Winter Transfer Window
... rinse and repeat, so, if you're looking for one of the above every time there's some sort of rumour, 90% of the time, you'll find one.

Would love it to be true as it would be a massive opportunity to progress the club. But anybody looking to do a multi million pound deal don't be posting about it on Facebook. Deals of this nature with the money involved are done in private with the least attention and fuss possible.

From what I've seen on Twitter - the ones that are spreading this rumour are the usual anti board lids who will now delight in saying "Oh aye. Takeover rumour? is it AGM time again?".....They are the ones who have started it.

It could all be true like. Can't explain their visit to Goodison - maybe they just wanted to take in a match? - maybe they're interested in buying Everton?

I wonder if anything over a takeover will even happen in my lifetime. Its the golden carrot isnt it, we all hang our hope onto it yet its always out of reach.

I wonder who would be our new chairman if bill had to step down! Can't see anyone on the board stepping up, maybe elstone?

We'll all die before the the end of Bill's reign as chairman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back