Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will do mate I'm sure.

To my knowledge, RK's only signings for So'ton that came from other PL clubs were:

Long (Hull - £12mil)
Bertrand (Chelsea - loan then buy for £10mil)

The only other person he then brought in from an English club was Austin for relative pittance.

I know people take the piss out of Long and he isn't my cup of tea, but he's been a great signing for them. Also if we weren't so overloaded with left backs I would be in for Bertrand in a heartbeat as I think he's a quality player.

Will be interesting to see who we target and whether it's Koeman or if we do get the DoF choosing the players.

that is the funny thing. All the talk over the years of foreign exports filling the league and no english players coming through and then you see how much an english player actually costs.

It is a double edged sword, you want to get as much as possible for your players but to what extent is it too much which is detrimental to the english game?

I know people take the piss out of Long and he isn't my cup of tea, but he's been a great signing for them. Also if we weren't so overloaded with left backs I would be in for Bertrand in a heartbeat as I think he's a quality player.

Will be interesting to see who we target and whether it's Koeman or if we do get the DoF choosing the players.

Yep agree. I like Long, think he offers a lot depending how you play. Gameiro is very similar but has a bit more quality.

Agree on Bertrand as well.

that is the funny thing. All the talk over the years of foreign exports filling the league and no english players coming through and then you see how much an english player actually costs.

It is a double edged sword, you want to get as much as possible for your players but to what extent is it too much which is detrimental to the english game?
That's why our academy should always be one of the highest priorities. Now and in the future.

Everything is relative! If you consider our goal return on Niasse, Liverpool's on Benteke etc. Then £20m for a Striker who scored 13 goals in a turd team and played every game is not outrageous? I think Deeney would be a good purchase for a lot of teams to be fair, and it is an indicator of just how much we have to step back when we are going on about our war chest! Everyone in the prem is going to have serious spending power this season, prices are going to be mental, so £100m would likely only buy four good players, not the seven or eight some think (judging by how many of our current squad they think we can just kick out)

That's why our academy should always be one of the highest priorities. Now and in the future.
Aye but it gives you the situation that i tried to tell zatara so many times. these kids at 18 and 19 are not good enough to fall into the first team unless you get a ross or wayne coming through. So the extent is, how do you focus on the first team and academy so much? If there is 5 young lads who need a run out, but then we are challenging for champions league football so need better players, and more experienced ones to be competitive.

Sending them on loan isn't always an option either long term. I'm all for sending them all out to gain experience but take ross for example, Warnock sent him back yet he was clearly the most talented player in elland road. The scouting report would therefore be negative for him when really he should have been on the cusp of breaking in to the team here.

Probably long winded but TLDR is you can't be competitive and focus on youth at the same time .

Aye but it gives you the situation that i tried to tell zatara so many times. these kids at 18 and 19 are not good enough to fall into the first team unless you get a ross or wayne coming through. So the extent is, how do you focus on the first team and academy so much? If there is 5 young lads who need a run out, but then we are challenging for champions league football so need better players, and more experienced ones to be competitive.

Sending them on loan isn't always an option either long term. I'm all for sending them all out to gain experience but take ross for example, Warnock sent him back yet he was clearly the most talented player in elland road. The scouting report would therefore be negative for him when really he should have been on the cusp of breaking in to the team here.

Probably long winded but TLDR is you can't be competitive and focus on youth at the same time .
I've always been of the opinion that if you're good enough, you're old enough. There is a middle road. Just look at the Ajax teams of the past. At one point you'll have to give them a chance. Of course not every player will be able to make that step up, but any half decent manager should be able to make that call.

Looking after your youth academy doesn't mean you have to play your youth players just for the sake of playing them. However, if you're not prepared to give youngsters like Davies and Dowell a chance, what's the point in having an academy?

Also of the opinion it's a lot easier for any youth player to integrate into a team that's playing well and full of confidence instead of a team that's struggling like we were under Martinez.

I've always been of the opinion that if you're good enough, you're old enough. There is a middle road. Just look at the Ajax teams of the past. At one point you'll have to give them a chance. Of course not every player will be able to make that step up, but any half decent manager should be able to make that call.

Looking after your youth academy doesn't mean you have to play your youth players just for the sake of playing them. However, if you're not prepared to give youngsters like Davies and Dowell a chance, what's the point in having an academy?
True. By all means give them minutes off the bench and stuff, but it is determining that they are good enough which is what i mean to say. Lundstrum for example had rave reviews all through the academy and then was ultimatly released, hughes was reserve captain at like 16-17 and yet released. Baxter was the next rooney, then you know what happened.

Point i mean is shoe horning players who may not be good enough for the team is possible to have a detrimental effect. the reason why chelsea and city and the like don't genuinely give their academy a go is because they play high profile and therefore have to rely on experience to do that. Abramovic for example would love to just sign a 17 year old rather than a 30 million pound player but they can't trust teenagers at that level.

Do you see where i am coming from? I'm not saying don't play kids at all, i love having academy and home grown players in the side. just focusing on it completely is also a negative thing over experienced players.

True. By all means give them minutes off the bench and stuff, but it is determining that they are good enough which is what i mean to say. Lundstrum for example had rave reviews all through the academy and then was ultimatly released, hughes was reserve captain at like 16-17 and yet released. Baxter was the next rooney, then you know what happened.

Point i mean is shoe horning players who may not be good enough for the team is possible to have a detrimental effect. the reason why chelsea and city and the like don't genuinely give their academy a go is because they play high profile and therefore have to rely on experience to do that. Abramovic for example would love to just sign a 17 year old rather than a 30 million pound player but they can't trust teenagers at that level.

Do you see where i am coming from? I'm not saying don't play kids at all, i love having academy and home grown players in the side. just focusing on it completely is also a negative thing over experienced players.
I see where you're coming from and agree completely with that. Just like I said should be one of the highest priorities. There's a time and place for youngsters to be introduced.

We'll never know if our kids are good enough at their current ages until we throw them in for a few consecutive games. That is literally the only way we'll find out and it's something eventually we'll have to try do. Pre-season is going to be very important for gauging who can step up, who won't make it & who needs a full year on loan developing.

From what I've seen of Kenny against Norwich and youth level I'd have absolutely no issue with us starting the season having not bought another RB. There are more pressing areas of the squad to fix in this instance. I don't like the idea of spending fees and wages on players just to plug squad gaps it demoralises the academy players and we might end up losing them.

I think this is the real conundrum. I don't think you can solve the issue all you can do is try to take steps to minimise it. One is having a secure manager in place who knows they have time. The big contradiction of young players, As Gary Neville said is they will improve very quickly if given a chance. A Lad completely unprepared at 18 may be a leading contender after 6 months. I do think you need a manager to feel they will have time to see the benefits of introducing younger players.

I think the ethos of the club should be steeped that way. A DOF who makes that clear as a priority in how they recruit and retain. There is also a big responsibility to ensure they are producing talent of a suitable quality.

As I said none of the above eradicates the dilemma but it can reduce it. I have to say though I am sceptical as to how far the narrative of not being good enough fits. Most of the young players I've seen at Everton over the last 3 years have been every bit as good as the senior pro's. Davies's performance in midfield was as good as I have seen from any of our midfielders all season. He was behind 2 other young central midfielder players (Ledson & Walsh). Can anyone say Galloway, Browning, Kenny, Dowell or Pennington have looked noticeably inferior over the last 12 months?

I think there has to be some acceptance that it is easy management in any industry to stick with what you know, stick with the players who have the experience and stick with those who are on the highest wages. I was delighted with Unsworth picking the team he did. However Barkley was on the bench, Mori, Besic, Peinaar were not even in the squad. Both internally and externally that will cause pressures. Fans and the media asking with multi million pound signings aren't being made and players kicking up a huge fuss.

I do think it's a big problem in England, weak management essentially putting senior pro's ahead of young players. Were Neville and Osman really better options than Barkley when Moyes left? Or were they the easier picks? I think that's why you do need a strong DOF who gives a clear outlook and the manager buys into that.

The good enough if you're young enough is often thrown at young players to say they aren't. The reality I see is players often are but they don't have the experience and profile and are easier to drop or not pick.

We'll never know if our kids are good enough at their current ages until we throw them in for a few consecutive games. That is literally the only way we'll find out and it's something eventually we'll have to try do. Pre-season is going to be very important for gauging who can step up, who won't make it & who needs a full year on loan developing.

From what I've seen of Kenny against Norwich and youth level I'd have absolutely no issue with us starting the season having not bought another RB. There are more pressing areas of the squad to fix in this instance. I don't like the idea of spending fees and wages on players just to plug squad gaps it demoralises the academy players and we might end up losing them.

Kenny should hopefully get a start in pre-season. Dowell will get an opportunity too. I have no real issues with those two or indeed Davies starting games for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back