Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been of the opinion that if you're good enough, you're old enough. There is a middle road. Just look at the Ajax teams of the past. At one point you'll have to give them a chance. Of course not every player will be able to make that step up, but any half decent manager should be able to make that call.

Looking after your youth academy doesn't mean you have to play your youth players just for the sake of playing them. However, if you're not prepared to give youngsters like Davies and Dowell a chance, what's the point in having an academy?

Also of the opinion it's a lot easier for any youth player to integrate into a team that's playing well and full of confidence instead of a team that's struggling like we were under Martinez.

It's arguably the toughest part of the game for a manager this, especially so in the 'instant results' generation, where a stretch of 6-8 bad results will see many managers sacked.

For me anyway, certain players just instantly look comfortable at this level and others not so, the ones who take to it like a duck to water - yeah they should be progressed with more and more game time to see how they handle the workload and increased expectation, the ones who need a little more time, then it's down to loaning them or keeping them in house another season and seeing if the next time they get an opportunity they take the chance more.

For example - and yeah end of season meaningless games etc, but both Kenny and to a greater degree Davies looked ready to me, ready to play 40 games straight - obviously not, but certainly ready to egt a game here or their and make the bench - starting some games to rest players or due to injury etc, the key is they looked as good if not better than the 'experienced' odler players around them or who they replaced, once you see that i honestly don't see the point in holdding them back any longer, the likes of Dowell, Pennington, Connely all looked decent/good, but not quite ready or fully developed (IMO) and could do with a loan where they are guaranteed to be playing proper competitive football for a full season. Then again i have full trust in Unsworth and the development team to handle ALL these lads in the best way possible

Kenny should hopefully get a start in pre-season. Dowell will get an opportunity too. I have no real issues with those two or indeed Davies starting games for us.

Dowell is a strange one, very talented but not quite their yet on first glance, off the trio of him, davies and kenny he looked the one who was taken aback a little by the pace of the league compared to what he was used too, then again that could easily just be the fact he is a different (more creative) type who looks to make things happen - BIG pre season ahead for him though, as now he has experienced the pace of the game, will be itneesting how he adapts and pushes on.

Davies for me looks ready right now to feature in the first team as does Kenny though, no more loans etc needed for either, but start to integrate them into the match day squads

Dowell is a strange one, very talented but not quite their yet on first glance, off the trio of him, davies and kenny he looked the one who was taken aback a little by the pace of the league compared to what he was used too, then again that could easily just be the fact he is a different (more creative) type who looks to make things happen - BIG pre season ahead for him though, as now he has experienced the pace of the game, will be itneesting how he adapts and pushes on.

Davies for me looks ready right now to feature in the first team as does Kenny though, no more loans etc needed for either, but start to integrate them into the match day squads

Dowell (and Davies) is one of the few who didn't get a chance to go out on loan and experience proper football due to his injury so I'm not really surprised he didn't look quite as up to speed. Pre-season I think he'll push to the front of the U21's waiting for first team chances.

Dowell (and Davies) is one of the few who didn't get a chance to go out on loan and experience proper football due to his injury so I'm not really surprised he didn't look quite as up to speed. Pre-season I think he'll push to the front of the U21's waiting for first team chances.

Tend to agree mate, was a badly timed injury he got (if they can ever be well timed ofc), REALLY like the look of Dowell, reminds me of Sheedy the way he just looks effortless on the ball (big compliment i know) as you say this pre seaosn will be a big one, and who knows as this time last year i don't think anyone on earth thought that Davies would break through and devlop just how fast he did, so we may have another young lad who just massively improves as well, Dowell does for me look the one that we need to really handle well - a lot of talent in that lad though

Tend to agree mate, was a badly timed injury he got (if they can ever be well timed ofc), REALLY like the look of Dowell, reminds me of Sheedy the way he just looks effortless on the ball (big compliment i know) as you say this pre seaosn will be a big one, and who knows as this time last year i don't think anyone on earth thought that Davies would break through and devlop just how fast he did, so we may have another young lad who just massively improves as well, Dowell does for me look the one that we need to really handle well - a lot of talent in that lad though

Bringing in winners and experienced heads is what's needed this summer. We don't need anymore kids with bags full of talent.

We've made that mistake in the last few years - bringing in and developing talented kids who, when they need it the most, they have winners/leaders they can look to, to drag them through the mire.

If this war chest is to believed, I would love us to make a substantial offer for say Hazard or James for 50mill and see what response we get as also it would show we are serious.
Even if we fail I would certainly be encouraged.

Would have Gameiro in for certain...

I think he could be exactly the 'type' of forward that RK looks to get in - irregardless of Rom going or not.

RK likes a 'runner' to stretch the game. Not like Moyes, who played forwards on the wing, but someone with pace and an engine to stretch the opposition defence.

I think that's the type of forward that needs to be targeted first and foremost. If Rom then leaves we also need a poacher/proper No.9

Bringing in winners and experienced heads is what's needed this summer. We don't need anymore kids with bags full of talent.

We've made that mistake in the last few years - bringing in and developing talented kids who, when they need it the most, they have winners/leaders they can look to, to drag them through the mire.

Agree.

It's done West Ham the world of good having Payet (an experienced international player at the top level) coming in his prime to add real quality.

We could do with two or three of those players (goalkeeper, centre mid/playmaker, forward and a centre half if Stones leaves), and then some smart acquisitions and we're set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back