Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me I've always thought he's a good player, but I'm not sure if he's what we need if you get me. A bit like Yarmolenko, I'd be chuffed if we got Witsel, but he's not really a deep lying playmaker. He's more a 'water carrier'. Keeps things tidy in the middle of the park and is decent in a tackle.

Possible replacement for Barry.

Yarmolenko i have a thign for mate, have done for a whilst as you know, but Witsel is the type you can genuinely put into any side and they will improve a lot, he'd be the first name on the sheet for me in our team week in week out and then choose the midfield around him, the very definition of building a strong spine type of player

a poor game from Witsel is the equivalent of a good mccarthy game influence wise, when witsel plays really well he dominates the centre mid and game like no one we have had at the club for a long time, a top keeper, him, and better coaching then we'd be more than half way their already

Fair enough mate, you'd know more than me on that.

I think Yarms was possibly a Martinez target, so he may not be somebody Koeman goes back in for. We'll see.

Witsel would certainly be a statement of intent, him and McCarthy in midfield I think would work really well. I know McCarthy gets a lot of stick on here, but if he's in the team with a primary role of being there to regain possession and make little darting third-man runs (like his first season) then we've got a player on our hands. Barry of course can't be ignored, and we've got Besic to consider.

Witsel (or, a player in a similar, dominating midfielder, mould), combined with as you say a good goalkeeper and then a playmaker should be the first three names on the list - not counting for sales. Obviously with it looking likely Rom will go, we'll need two strikers as well.

Depending on whether Stones leaves, we'd then need a centre half.

I think some of you would have turned your noses up at signing Cantona just because he was arrogant and a very naughty boy.

He's also the type of player that you don't realsie how good he is until you watch him a fair bit mate, for that role he does thats a huge compliment

I've only ever seen him play in the CL for Zenit and then internationally for Belgium - but Wilmots is a really poor coach, IMO. His tactics are like the lovechild of Martinez and LVG. Dreadful to watch at times with that crop of players.

Witsel was the one with the huge legbreaking tackle before he went to Russia as well, wasn't he?
Can see him tick in a central midfield role, but I also don't think that's a priority for us with Barry one of our best players last year, McCarthy with lots of room to improve and Besic to get fit and a couple of games on the run.

Much rather see 30m spent on a world class left winger who can both cross and dribble. Thing with having 2 defensive mids is that while Witsel might be insanely good in that role, you can get by with much less if you are proper organised and have a really good attacking 4 (striker, 2 wingers and the AM).

Possible replacement for Barry.

Yep, think this will be Barry's last season with us.

He's boss, though, and at this point should be the one of the first names on the team sheet. Think RK will really appreciate coming into a side with somebody like Barry there as well.

Witsel was the one with the huge legbreaking tackle before he went to Russia as well, wasn't he?
Can see him tick in a central midfield role, but I also don't think that's a priority for us with Barry one of our best players last year, McCarthy with lots of room to improve and Besic to get fit and a couple of games on the run.

Much rather see 30m spent on a world class left winger who can both cross and dribble. Thing with having 2 defensive mids is that while Witsel might be insanely good in that role, you can get by with much less if you are proper organised and have a really good attacking 4 (striker, 2 wingers and the AM).

I'd agree with this but I do also think we lack 'something' in midfield - somebody who is capable of controlling the game from deep.

Barry can do that but he hasn't always got the pace to cover, while that isn't McCarthy's best role.

I always think a 4-1-4-1 would be the way to go, which basically becomes a 4-3-3 when in possession. That way we have two 'box-to-box' players ahead of an anchor player, while the strikers and wingers/wide playmaker get free reign.

I'd agree with this but I do also think we lack 'something' in midfield - somebody who is capable of controlling the game from deep.

Barry can do that but he hasn't always got the pace to cover, while that isn't McCarthy's best role.

I always think a 4-1-4-1 would be the way to go, which basically becomes a 4-3-3 when in possession. That way we have two 'box-to-box' players ahead of an anchor player, while the strikers and wingers/wide playmaker get free reign.

This is something that we should be doing a lot of the time when we play 'weaker' sides, which was never the way with Moyes and never with Martinez (bar some experimentation w 3 at the back) as they were so rigid in their formations and we had so much trouble picking other teams apart.
I'd accomodate Barkley in a deeper role whenever we play the promoted sides for example as that should give him more room to run w ball at defenses and have an AM that drags their CM/CB down.

Lets see what Koeman does, I'm cautiously hopeful.

Would be very pleased if we get Witsel, Arnautovic, Pelle and one of Foster, Schmeichel or Krul (in that order of preference).

I would start to put Besic as a CB, played there lots of time and is fast, strong and our best tackler.

Would be very pleased if we get Witsel, Arnautovic, Pelle and one of Foster, Schmeichel or Krul (in that order of preference).

I would start to put Besic as a CB, played there lots of time and is fast, strong and our best tackler.

He's also about 4ft tall. Awful shout

Witsel would be a huge upgrade on McCarthy. Not sure that's a priority like

It's an absolute massive priority. Our central midfield is dreadful. You need to have a decent central midfield if you want to win games. Another season of Barry and McCarthy 'pulling the strings' would be awful, utterly awful. Both of them urgently need to be replaced if we want to achieve anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back