Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witsel was a target under Moyes regime around the time we got Fellaini he hasn't hit the heights he had been forecast to acheive.... Bags of talent but I'm pretty confident it's his consistency that's the issue... Likes getting stuck into a tackle though ala Besic I remember wishing we had got him instead of Fellaini however I think Felaini filled that cam role better than wit sell would

Think it was Steven Defour we went for Ash after they belted Liverpool in a European competition

It's an absolute massive priority. Our central midfield is dreadful. You need to have a decent central midfield if you want to win games. Another season of Barry and McCarthy 'pulling the strings' would be awful, utterly awful. Both of them urgently need to be replaced if we want to achieve anything.

Barry was class last season. Had all the players turned up like he did we would have finished much higher than 11th

Would be very pleased if we get Witsel, Arnautovic, Pelle and one of Foster, Schmeichel or Krul (in that order of preference).

I would start to put Besic as a CB, played there lots of time and is fast, strong and our best tackler.

But we've got the new Roy Keane in midfield mate, surely that is enough ???!?!

This is something that we should be doing a lot of the time when we play 'weaker' sides, which was never the way with Moyes and never with Martinez (bar some experimentation w 3 at the back) as they were so rigid in their formations and we had so much trouble picking other teams apart.
I'd accomodate Barkley in a deeper role whenever we play the promoted sides for example as that should give him more room to run w ball at defenses and have an AM that drags their CM/CB down.

Lets see what Koeman does, I'm cautiously hopeful.

Whilst Witsel is a great defensive mid, he can also play a true centre mid role, where he operates further forward as well effectively mate, gives a lot of options if he arrived

Saw Krul linked this morning. Definitely swerve him, there is better keepers out there for good money. Also saw Shane Long linked too, his work ethic is up there with Naismith. Very much doubt Lukaku will stay but I think those two up top could work...

Witsel yes.
Long yes, as backup.
Krul, I don't know. Think we can do better but it depends how much Koeman wants to spend in that area.

Fair enough mate, you'd know more than me on that.

I think Yarms was possibly a Martinez target, so he may not be somebody Koeman goes back in for. We'll see.

Witsel would certainly be a statement of intent, him and McCarthy in midfield I think would work really well. I know McCarthy gets a lot of stick on here, but if he's in the team with a primary role of being there to regain possession and make little darting third-man runs (like his first season) then we've got a player on our hands. Barry of course can't be ignored, and we've got Besic to consider.

Witsel (or, a player in a similar, dominating midfielder, mould), combined with as you say a good goalkeeper and then a playmaker should be the first three names on the list - not counting for sales. Obviously with it looking likely Rom will go, we'll need two strikers as well.

Depending on whether Stones leaves, we'd then need a centre half.

People who are judging Witsel purely on how he plays for Belgium are missing a lot of what he does IMO, Wilmotts is an absolutely dreadful coach who seems to have the Martinez obsession with always playing two defensive mids no matter what - see him doing so even at 1-0 down against Italy with 15 mins left, madness.

Witsel is the type whose more than able to play that role by himself in a game and dominate in the role, allowing the other centre mids more reign to go forward, if he's paired up with a more defensive player then it allows him to get forward a bit more as well and he has the engine to do that box to box role whilst still being defensively sound and providing cover. Next time Belgium play take a close watch at how often he's the one spreading the ball out to the likes of De Bruyne, Hazzard etc though as more often than not he is the one starting the Belgium moves forward.

Never seen Mccarthy control a game the same way Witsel can and does with regularity, under a manager like Koeman who likes a big physically imposing player int he middle - think we'd see the best of him as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back