Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely, and I am pretty sure the clubs aim as regards signings is to bring players in who will improve the squad, of course the better pedigree the better, but if we began the month wanting to sign the best available player in each position we wanted to strengthen, we would and will end up with nobody.

The most difficult markets to source players from is the domestic one, due to price inflation, and Russia/Eastern Europe, for established reasons. I hope the club is still not pursuing Witsel, the combination of his parent club and what seems a huge ego on his part should have set off alarm bells weeks ago. This has been significant time wasted.

I would love us to sign Sigurdsson but my initial thought was that's another rival PL club to haggle with over fees etc, another drawn-out saga etc.

I think the most fertile ground for us by far is the continental European market - France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Germany, and Italy. To a lesser degree after that it would be South American players. That seems pretty obvious to me but I wonder if the club are going down these avenues for players to the extent they should be. I would have thought Koeman has contacts not only in Holland and Belgium (quite obviously) but in Spain and Portugal from his time there.

If not, then you would expect Walsh to step in and show his worth. But it's leaving it late this window.
The South American markets and maybe some of the European markets you refer to might be for jan or next summers windows. I'm sure walsh's input will massive here. We are leaving it late for the start of the new season, so I think our focus will be mainly home based as there are more guarantees already based premiership players will fit in more easily and hit the ground running. Of course there is a snag to this policy as we will have to pay a premium to entice players away from other premier league clubs.

Erikson was playing in his favoured position at Spurs (no.10) he is a very good player in that position. I agree mata is a better player, but what if he doesn't want to come here? Even with moshiri's money we are finding it difficult to attract top players due to no European football. Sigurdson would be a definite upgrade on what we currently have in that position, even if he isn't a 'world beater'.

We were always going to struggle to attract the very best players, they look at us as a team who finish in the bottom half of the league. I still think we can attract better players than Sigurdsson, he isn't a £25 million improvement on what we already have. As we get closer to the window closing we will become more desperate to get new players in, but the players will also realise that there chance if their dream move is also ebbing away and they might then become more reasonable. The management need to keep their nerve.
I'm more concerned about a centre half and a centre forward at the moment, if the reports about Chelsea and City are correct then we could be left very short come the start of the season.

The rest of your analogy could read:

Player turns up and starts training - fully buying into the idea that this is our year!

Player turns out to be utter turd or doesn't gel with the rest of the red belters.

Oh well looks like next year is our year !

and repeat.

I would not set that lot across the park as our benchmark for anything - rather take the time to get it right me!
Plus a 5 year deal with a massive salary. Give them enough money and they will go anywhere, not just to the R/S who bid, and pay way over the odds for players.

....the problem with Stones 'getting his head and giving us his best' is that he's not on a mega contract at EFC (in comparison with others at the club). A mega contract is on offer but he'll be losing a fortune if he plays for another season without signing it. The club hold all the Aces which is why I think his demeanour has changed.
I hear ya.

Tell him to get his head down and if he's performing well by January there is a bumper deal waiting for him to take him on parity with Lukaku and with a buy out clause of 55m for any club that wants to take him within the next 2 seasons, after which time the clause expires.

Noticed on Sky yesterday that Alex Song has agreed to go to Rubin Kazan. I know he was injured a lot last year but I think he is an excellent player that wouldnt have broken the bank. He is athletic can break up play and got a boatload of assists for Van Persie at Arsenal with throughballs and balls over the top for him to run on to which is something big Rom would thrive on. DOnt think M'Villa would be a bad shout either. Big Sam got him playing last season and he has apparently refused to go back to Russia. Again think he would be an improvement on the ginger headless chicken.

We were always going to struggle to attract the very best players, they look at us as a team who finish in the bottom half of the league. I still think we can attract better players than Sigurdsson, he isn't a £25 million improvement on what we already have. As we get closer to the window closing we will become more desperate to get new players in, but the players will also realise that there chance if their dream move is also ebbing away and they might then become more reasonable. The management need to keep their nerve.
I'm more concerned about a centre half and a centre forward at the moment, if the reports about Chelsea and City are correct then we could be left very short come the start of the season.
All about opinions, you obviously don't think sigurdson will be an improvement on what we have, I and many others suggest otherwise.
Totally agree with you regarding stones and lukaku. If this is left too late we are going to be paying over the odds for average players to fill the void as clubs realise we will have upwards of 100m to spend should they leave.

There is absolutely no way we would sanction the sales of Stones and Lukaku without having a replacement signed or at the very least lined up to sign before the season

It's hard to give an overall judgement until we see the entire transfer landscape and that won't be for over a month yet.
Sigurdson as a marquee signing would have been very acceptable and just about doable in the previous regime(given that we bought Lukaku for 28m).
Now, however we are in a different place.
The signing of Sigurdson as part of an overall plan to strengthen the squad with another three or four signings of comparable or better quality would be very acceptable.
Sigurdson as the marquee signing would be underwhelming for most , after being fed on a diet of Wisel, Mata and Carvalho.

I think I am more nervous of the process than the result. Sigurdson is not a bad player but I would be hard pushed to say he is better than what we have. I look at a lad like Mata and he is very different and could give us something we don't have.

What worries me is we resort back to paying huge fees for reliable and decent players operating in England. It would be a chronic misuse of 100 million if 60 of it went on Sissokho and Sigurdson.

Yeah but that is no way realistic (unless we sell Stones - but even then it'd be probably about 80m net and I just can't see it, unfortunately). If it happened, cartwheels all over the place.

It's very doable mate really

Even saying we paid what we recieved for Stones to get Koulibaly

In the current market we could likely sell McCarthy for 15m comfortably, Cleverley woudl go for 10m as well, sounds mental like but look at the fees for domestic proven players now. that would cover the cost for say Carvalho

then youd be left with Begovic (10m) second mid (20m) playmaker (20-25m) backup striker (10-15m) - so a 60-70m spend which really isn't unrealistic and a fair few clubs will do that this season

I'd love for us to get Sigurdsson in - think we definitely need more options in that attacking midfield area. My ideal signing in that position would be Aaron Ramsey - but doubt we have any chance of getting him in. Still think Koeman will move a few on, Kone, Niasse, Mcgeady are surely goners..if anyone will have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back