Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Stones and Rom are sold to premiership rivals what would it take to make you optimistic about the season again ?

At the start of the window I was really hoping 1 big signing early on would help convince Rom and Stones to stay here for another season but it sounds like they are close to leaving :(

If we were to make a habit of this type of signing I would 100% be in agreement with you. However, I believe there are exceptional occasions when such signings are justified, and this is one of them.

We're crying out for a dominant defender, somebody who, for his height, is really good in the air and a fantastic organiser. We also need a natural leader on the pitch. We need these qualities right now. A quick fix if you like. We don't need a long term fix as there's plenty of potential already within the club.

Williams ticks all the boxes and some. Over the last 3 seasons I don't think I've seen a defender who has been more influential against us; at times he has seemed to keep us out singlehandedly. In fact, I find it hard to name a single opposition player who has stood out more against us. He replicated that in the euros this summer, one of the stand out players for me in what was, admittedly, a very low quality tournament.

His experience and influence on the younger defenders (whether that include Stones or his replacement) would be invaluable. His inclusion, together with a quality GK and DM, is needed to solve the significant defensive problems that have been all too evident I our pre-season so far. So yes, I believe the £10m price tag is not only justified, but actually represents good value for money in the current market given what he brings to the table.
Forgot to mention. I'd also hand him the arm band immediately.

I guess there's some small positive in the fact that we seem to be making quite a lot of clubs blow all their money on increased wages for players they already have while still having cash to splash ourselves(!)

no it doesn't mate.

we have the money. maybe not as much as some people convinced themselves, but we have enough to have agreed a €30mil fee for Witsel and bid €45mil for Koulibaly
I agree we can afford Witsel and maybe even Mata as well but we can't afford Koulibaly without the sale of Stones.
I don't know that for certain of course but I'll predict right now, with over a month to deadline, the net spend will be no where near 100 mill.
When that happens excuses will be made to facilitate the continuation of the illusion that we're super rich but Koeman, like most managers, will push to spend most of what's there so the net spend will reflect the reality of our financial level, which is very probably a reflection of our new investors financial level.

Playing Devils advocate here.

If witsel ends up with a choice between us and Juventus then we aren't signing him.

If koulibaby has a choice between us and Chelsea then we aren't signing him.

If mata has any sort of guarantee he will play this season it is very unlikely we are signing him.

If arsenal flash their knickers at Williams (if true) then we would have to pay significantly more wages than them for a 32 year old otherwise we aren't signing him.

My question is, who are the back ups? A lot of these so called deals have very high failure rates if other clubs are interested, who do we genuinely believe could be back ups who offer the same quality?

And two other points to ponder.

1. Why the hell are we waiting for other clubs to show interest in our players rather than going all out to get these deals done asap? We can't sign players by hoping they reject other teams first, we should he ruthless and get them done before the interest comes in.

2. Perhaps another issue here is the fact we aren't selling lukaku and have priced him out a move. Because his agent seems to be selling every other client this summer (look it up) so the fact we are putting a dampener in him doing a clean sweep of targets moved on (and less of a payday for him) that he could potentially cause issues for our transfer business.

Playing Devils advocate here.

If witsel ends up with a choice between us and Juventus then we aren't signing him.

If koulibaby has a choice between us and Chelsea then we aren't signing him.

If mata has any sort of guarantee he will play this season it is very unlikely we are signing him.

If arsenal flash their knickers at Williams (if true) then we would have to pay significantly more wages than them for a 32 year old otherwise we aren't signing him.

My question is, who are the back ups? A lot of these so called deals have very high failure rates if other clubs are interested, who do we genuinely believe could be back ups who offer the same quality?

And two other points to ponder.

1. Why the hell are we waiting for other clubs to show interest in our players rather than going all out to get these deals done asap? We can't sign players by hoping they reject other teams first, we should he ruthless and get them done before the interest comes in.

2. Perhaps another issue here is the fact we aren't selling lukaku and have priced him out a move. Because his agent seems to be selling every other client this summer (look it up) so the fact we are putting a dampener in him doing a clean sweep of targets moved on (and less of a payday for him) that he could potentially cause issues for our transfer business.

How would he be able to do that exactly, when none of the players we are linked with our his clients and the agent world is cuthroat so not exactly gonna get other agents to help him out is he

I don't doubt Erwin that we will be very busy. It's whether we have the ability to get deals over the line that concerns me. City and Chelsea had no such issues getting the players when they found their money. Indeed City were coming from deep in the depths of no markdom at the time too.

Maybe times have changed now and it's harder but I still am hoping for big things.

How would he be able to do that exactly, when none of the players we are linked with our his clients and the agent world is cuthroat so not exactly gonna get other agents to help him out is he
This agent isn't just a run of the mill one, he carries a lot of weight in thst area of the football world. So if he wanted to cause issues for us he probably could. The cutthroat element comes from getting the clients, not selling them.

Nor saying that is the case, just saying it could well be a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back