Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on that matey. Top players can have bad games don’t get me wrong. I remember when Suarez first started for Liverpool he was quite a poor finisher and missed a lot of chances but he had something about him.

People slated Lukaku for his performance At Wembley, in many ways it was his worst game for us but also his bets of the last 10. Largely because he put himself about, bullied defenders and got on the end of things. Some days it won’t go in for you, that happens but a lad with his physique should never give a defender an easy game. There were too many easy games last season.

I take the Arsenal game at home and he wondered off to the left wing. Deulofeu put cross after cross into the box and he was nowhere to be seen. He was waiting for the perfect cut back on the edge of the box. Sometimes when the team is struggling they can’t make a perfect chance for you but you have to get in the middle between the posts and challenge for headers. That’s what Shearer did, without fail every week.

In fairness to him a lot of that was the tactics of Martinez. I do think though, top players suss that out and will go against a coaches viewpoint. They see the balance of the game. Can anyone imagine Shearer in a game Newcastle were struggling in standing on the left wing as uncontested crosses went into the box? Or Rooney? Or Suarez? Even if they had a poor game they still wouldn’t make it easy for you.

As for Koeman another good point. I think that's central to it. He has played for and managed the 3 top sides in Holland and is respected by all. The Dutch as a nation and also in football are quite happy to trade. It is expected for top players to leave Holland and always has been. I don't think it will be seen in disastrous terms by Koeman.

Yes, Dutch footballers in particular seem remarkably frank and clear about their personal feelings and ambitions, so it's probably just the norm for Koeman, and he'll feel the same regarding his managerial career. They also seem to have this strange ability to pick arguments and hold grudges while remaining dispassionate and unflustered. Developing the point, a typical Dutchman is just the thing our squad needs - someone who will tell a player clearly and succinctly that he played badly, unlike Roberto. I also reckon Koeman will tell a player how to improve in terms that are just as simple and clear, again, unlike Martinez. Straight talk and home truths will be a refreshing change.

Possibly. But in no way is he a better defender.

Williams would comfortably walk into any PL side bar maybe Spurs/City, he's been consistently in the top 5 centre-halves in the league for quite a while now. Stones on the other hand has been a liability.
Not knocking Williams, but it seems odd that a player who would walk into any side in the league is supposedly moving from a team that finished 12th to a team that finished 11th. Any particular reason why you think none of the managers of the teams he would walk into have decided to buy him?

I would expect a decision has been made about Lukaku already, certainly Chelsea will have contacted Everton about availability if they are interested.
If Everton are to sell it cannot be in the last days of the window unless the replacement/s are already in place. It would be suicide to sell your main striker and not have time to replace him adequately.
I have no doubt that Koeman, Lukaku and his agent already have an agreement in place. A transfer of this size will take weeks. Koeman will have spoken to Lukaku and judged if he is mentally committed to Everton or if his head is elsewhere, just as John Stones seems to have been looking over the wall away from Everton for the last twelve months.

Can Lukaku be replaced ?, of course he can. But, not easily.
He is too unpredictable and even if he stays we need a second striker far better than Kone because on the days when Lukaku doesn't feel like playing he is worse than useless.
I must say that in the preseason game in Germany I thought his attitude was a carry over from the end of last season , to me he did not look interested and I know that his fitness levels would be well below because he was just back into training.
Some days , his head is up and he is a fearsome player, other days(too many of them recently)he looks like he wants to be somewhere else.

Dont see the need for Adrien, Carvalho on top of Gueye. Dont see the need for any more defensive midfielders at all actually until we ship some out.

Ziyech would be interesting still. We need a striker whether Lukaku leaves or not! Very little in the way of links in that area from what I've seen.

A concern for me was that we did not have a goalkeeper in place yet but checking on when Frazer Forster signed for Southampton, it was 9 days before the season started. At the moment we are 10 days before the season starts.
Expect a goalkeeper to arrive tomorow

"There are numerous strikers who could potentially come in and score those goals, they probably won't cost £75m either."

Easy to type, harder to do. It took us 25 years to find a reliable goal-scorer. Money is no guarantee of success in finding one either. When you get one you move heaven and earth to keep them, flaws and all.

Truth is that we aren't that different to that lot over the park. Delusion is accepted more than realism, those who don't accept the delusion are excommunicated or labelled as bedwetters. To give examples of this, the 'best squad in 30 years' has failed to reach the top half of the table for the last two years. The person who assembled this squad was being described as a saviour less than seven months ago, but now our inability to reach the top half of the table is all down to his tactics and management style. The truth is that the squad itself is very poor and miles away from what is required to compete for top four. People are now using the word 'unbalanced' as a euphemism to describe a sub standard squad that is in urgent need of an overhaul.

Can you actually give an example of this from some poster Dym? I would reckon not, and think that kind of comment is akin to a tabloid news article with nada to back it up.

The truth is you constantly, and almost exclusively, post negative comments. Very tiresome. Reality is taking a balanced view of things, and I think I would say the majority of the posters who keep pulling up the moaners are balanced. Reality is not unbalanced and incessant posting of a purely negative outlook on something.

Some people would prefer the forum is not dragged down in heads on fire comments or constant one-eyed negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back