Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not knocking Williams, but it seems odd that a player who would walk into any side in the league is supposedly moving from a team that finished 12th to a team that finished 11th. Any particular reason why you think none of the managers of the teams he would walk into have decided to buy him?

The fact he is 32?

Wenger wanted jags but never came back for him after he added a few more years on his birth certificate

Shocking arent they.

The names of acceptable replacements aren't exactly springing to mind. There's an element of risk involved whichever way you approach it. Do you go for someone who has experince in the league but will hence be overpriced, or take a risk from abroad on someone who may not adapt well. A real test for Koeman and Walsh if he goes.

Thought they were meant to be ok...renato sanches to bayern was championed there first i think and im sure our moutinho offer years ago also.

If true it means no witsel as adrien and him are clones.

We wont be buying a 5 foot 9 midget to play in midfield.

I can assure you of that.

And yes, im aware that Gueye is smaller, hence the fact that we wont buy another midget.

The names of acceptable replacements aren't exactly springing to mind. There's an element of risk involved whichever way you approach it. Do you go for someone who has experince in the league but will hence be overpriced, or take a risk from abroad on someone who may not adapt well. A real test for Koeman and Walsh if he goes.

I would rather give my cat a chance than buy Bony or Benteke.

The fact he is 32?

Wenger wanted jags but never came back for him after he added a few more years on his birth certificate
But if he would walk into sides, surely the top sides wouldn't care? They have money to burn, if they thought he was that good they'd pay the money and not care about sell on value - we're talking about clubs who paid £300,000 a week to a crocked Falcao and £8m for a declining Schweinsteiger after all.

As I said, I'm not saying Williams isn't a good defender, or that he wouldn't improve our defence, but let's not pretend he's got his pick of all the teams in the league as he very clearly hasn't.

Our busy week of transfer activity could still happen maybe ? I can hope and I'm sure there is a lot of work happening behind the scenes.....

But if he would walk into sides, surely the top sides wouldn't care? They have money to burn, if they thought he was that good they'd pay the money and not care about sell on value - we're talking about clubs who paid £300,000 a week to a crocked Falcao and £8m for a declining Schweinsteiger after all.

As I said, I'm not saying Williams isn't a good defender, or that he wouldn't improve our defence, but let's not pretend he's got his pick of all the teams in the league as he very clearly hasn't.
the difference there though is falcao wasn't finished in theory and just had one bad season with monaco needing to get him off the wage bill any way they could. Schwein is just a top quality player, i'd still have him here if he was made available.

a 32 year old does not represent good business for teams at the top end of the league, because as much as williams may be great now, in a year or two he then needs replacing again. The Business strategy generally is that they can sign players who they don't have to replace. Man City for example, how many players they bought in a 12 month period which became mainstays in the team? They don't need to replace them so they can focus on areas they need to strengthen.

That is all simplified but that is the general thing. If you are a team with a genuine shot of success then you want to build it to keep being successful.

Whereas we are lacking strength and leadership at the back badly so these 2 or 3 years we get that in the team will benefit us more as we have spaces to make up. If he can have a big impact in the way the team defend he is worth the money same as barry was in his situation.

Now i never wanted us to sign barry and to be honest very wary of signing williams for the same reasons but i can't argue that he would add something we have lacked since stubbs/wier was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back