Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
prob a plan for that, i think we might do deals right up to and on deadline day..prices drop when clubs/agents realise they arent gonna get ridiculous fees/wages

this will obviously mess up the start of the season, but this is a long term plan...better to do this than get absolutely rinsed

hence the gueye deal has gone through cos of the release clause

possibly

Is there any point in signing lesser players though? Witsel Mata and Carvalhio are top players essentially, champions league players and i don't think there are too many of them knocking about that would even look twice at us right now. This is what i mean, would it really be worth signing lesser players to replace them putting us back or would taking time out and letting walsh do his thing be a better option in that situation?

There is no point in spending 100 million plus if the players don't significantly improve the team. I think anyway.

What do we do if Lukaku's legs fall off after he signs a new contract and Koeman fires Coleman and Baines out of a cannon ?

Well i'd sack koeman on the spot for doing crazy stuff like that and lukaku's legs falling off? Call it sods law seeings though he would be the first human in history for that to happen.

Doubt he would do that myself personally. A lot could change in a year, Juve may not want him, could get injured etc. Big gamble on his behalf if he does. Do you think Juve can afford him if even if they sell pogba?

Jerry McGuire mate.

the difference there though is falcao wasn't finished in theory and just had one bad season with monaco needing to get him off the wage bill any way they could. Schwein is just a top quality player, i'd still have him here if he was made available.

a 32 year old does not represent good business for teams at the top end of the league, because as much as williams may be great now, in a year or two he then needs replacing again. The Business strategy generally is that they can sign players who they don't have to replace. Man City for example, how many players they bought in a 12 month period which became mainstays in the team? They don't need to replace them so they can focus on areas they need to strengthen.

That is all simplified but that is the general thing. If you are a team with a genuine shot of success then you want to build it to keep being successful.

Whereas we are lacking strength and leadership at the back badly so these 2 or 3 years we get that in the team will benefit us more as we have spaces to make up. If he can have a big impact in the way the team defend he is worth the money same as barry was in his situation.

Now i never wanted us to sign barry and to be honest very wary of signing williams for the same reasons but i can't argue that he would add something we have lacked since stubbs/wier was here.
But the argument was that Williams would 'walk into' any side in the league. I assume that he hasn't improved beyond recognition in the last 12-24 months, so he would have been available to these teams as a 29 year old. But none of them bought him. City bought Demichelis when he was 33, Otamendi is only 3 years younger than Williams, as are players like Fazio and Ogbonna who've moved in the same time frame. Mourinho has never cared about the age of players he signs but didn't want him at Chelsea even when they desperately needed a centre half.

This sounds like i'm having a pop at Williams but i'm genuinely not - i think he'd be a decent signing for us. I just don't see the point in claiming he's one of the very best around when he patently isn't. He's one of many centre halfs who i would put in the 'good solid pro' bracket, along with Winston Reid, Scott Dann, Shawcross and Huth. I'd have any of them here but they aren't players who would walk into any side. There's no shame in that.

Look at it objectively.

In
Idrissa Gueye - £7.2m
Maarten Stekelenburg - £850k

Out
Tim Howard - Free
Felipe Mattinoni - Free
Tony Hibbert - Retired
Leon Osman - Retired
Steven Pienaar - Free

Looking at that, we've already improved our squad. One or two more (pending no sales) and I think we'll be there or there abouts.

We will have to see about Guaye, but I honestly cannot see how someone can argue that losing Pienaar who still hasn't been replaced, and losing our first choice goalkeeper who still hasn't been replaced, could possibly conclude that these actions have made us stronger?

I'm sorry, but it's made a weak squad even weaker! We need to find replacements for Howard and Pienaar, and the idea that the rest of the squad needs no improving is just not true, it is actually in need of drastic improvement.

the difference there though is falcao wasn't finished in theory and just had one bad season with monaco needing to get him off the wage bill any way they could.
Thats not really right tho, Falcao was finished. He went to Utd after the World Cup, he had that MASSIVE knee injury just before the World Cup. He was never even a shadow of that player again.

But the argument was that Williams would 'walk into' any side in the league. I assume that he hasn't improved beyond recognition in the last 12-24 months, so he would have been available to these teams as a 29 year old. But none of them bought him. City bought Demichelis when he was 33, Otamendi is only 3 years younger than Williams, as are players like Fazio and Ogbonna who've moved in the same time frame. Mourinho has never cared about the age of players he signs but didn't want him at Chelsea even when they desperately needed a centre half.

This sounds like i'm having a pop at Williams but i'm genuinely not - i think he'd be a decent signing for us. I just don't see the point in claiming he's one of the very best around when he patently isn't. He's one of many centre halfs who i would put in the 'good solid pro' bracket, along with Winston Reid, Scott Dann, Shawcross and Huth. I'd have any of them here but they aren't players who would walk into any side. There's no shame in that.
He probably could walk into most teams mate. But the difference which i was trying to explain myself (probably poorly) was that for the price, the same clubs won't want to sign him. If he was available on a free i can guarantee you he would be moving to united or someone. But for 10 million plus, they won't want to invest on him as he has a short shelf life.

Whereas we can afford to as our only aim right now is to improve our league placings and get back into europa league consistently. So he helps us do that then we can afford it, the knock on effects are positive.

It's Hobson's Choice for us with Lukaku.

I am not totally opposed to selling particularly with his attitude but it seems to me we would be doing it at the wrong time. We have already seen this summer that having additional financial resources does not make things as straightforward as we would have expected, having potentially even more money from the proceeds of a Lukaku sale (and Stones) would give us what, £200m+ in the coffers, adding to this season's existing budget, or so we are led to understand.

The issue with Lukaku leaving is that we will in all likelihood not be able to replace his goals in a like-for-like alternative. Even if we can afford to sign such a player, they are likely to be out of our scope of attractiveness.

If Lukaku leaves, does Koeman then go out and sign 3 strikers, in the hope that cumulatively, the lost goals will be replaced? That is a very risky strategy, replacing quality with quantity, at worst.
I'm not sure they will let us play with an extra 2 players on the pitch!

Agree with your point though, even with unlimited resources I'm not sure we could attract an equal or better striker than Lukaku.

Similarities with the Bale and Suarez deals.

Devils Advocate time.

What do we do if we end up waiting all window for these players to decide to join us only to be turned down at the last minute? In that situation what do we do? Do we splurge wildly on back ups which will then be over priced or do we start the season as we are? If witsel Carvalhio mata and the like are going to be weeks away, what do we do if every single one falls through?

why don't you wait and find out instead of driving yourself mental playing guessing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back