Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these quoted fees for players - making me feel old.

I remember when £3m was a monumental amount for a player.
I remember my first job, a mate calling my office phone relentlessly and nearly getting me the sack because he had been told by one of his mates who had heard from another mate that we'd signed Kanchelskis. Pre-internet ITK stuff

You know we can't do that WITHOUT selling Stones (or Rom, I guess), right?
I'm sure if we sold McCarthy, Niasse, Kone, McGeady and Oviedo there might be a bit of room to make something happen. We're already about 175k a week down on wages from Howard/Pienaar/Osman/Hibbert, so that'd be up to around 350k a week if we sold the above-mentioned players too. Let's round that down to like 275k a week if we include Gueye and Stekelenberg's new wages. Didn't we recently sign a sponsorship deal with Williams Hill? Perhaps they have other similar deals in the pipeline? Nobody really knows. It seems quite optimistic that we could do that, but we'll find out soon enough.

Possibly. But in no way is he a better defender.

Williams would comfortably walk into any PL side bar maybe Spurs/City, he's been consistently in the top 5 centre-halves in the league for quite a while now. Stones on the other hand has been a liability.

Stones defensive abilities are underrated. For a centre half at his age he's extremely good.

Truth is that we aren't that different to that lot over the park. Delusion is accepted more than realism, those who don't accept the delusion are excommunicated or labelled as bedwetters. To give examples of this, the 'best squad in 30 years' has failed to reach the top half of the table for the last two years. The person who assembled this squad was being described as a saviour less than seven months ago, but now our inability to reach the top half of the table is all down to his tactics and management style. The truth is that the squad itself is very poor and miles away from what is required to compete for top four. People are now using the word 'unbalanced' as a euphemism to describe a sub standard squad that is in urgent need of an overhaul.
However, it should also be said that the manager has lost his job , why did this happen ?
The answer really is twofold. The first is simple we were losing too many games and not were not able to close out games where the hard work had been done and yet we managed to lose the advantage.

There was also the reason that it was felt that because of the manager the squad was underperforming. That may or may not be true , but it certainly was the perception.

What is undeniable is that certain players, good players, have not performed in the last couple of seasons to their ability (Baines Mirallas Stones McCarthy) and this also contributed to the manager losing his job.
Could a different manager get last years squad into the top four, difficult to see how, but they certainly could have done much better.
Looking at last season game by game, there was an extra twenty points that could have been won without massive improvement.

If you look at the squad I don't know if you it is right to say that Baines, Stones, Jagielka, Lukaku, Mirallas, Lennon, McCarthy,Barry, Deulofeu, Barkley, Funes Mori, Coleman to name a few.
The potential, properly managed , is there to get good results. Can the squad be improved ? massively so.
But , the base is there . I certainly believe that there is far too much panic about bringing in new players, it is happening and they will make the team better. But, the players already at the club should not be discounted, two years ago that squad of players finished fifth.

Page 3000 cumin up. Everton have so far spent about about 2,3 K per page.

We only need another 40 000 pages of this thread to reach what we were promised, a hundred mil.

We go again.
COYB.

It's very clear we made a very large bid early in the process and that stands. It's also clear we've discussed personal terms and had agreement only for his demands to change.

Sorry, I mean it's clear to you, and us because you pass on your info to us. But without you nothing would be clear at all in regards to our interest.

There could be an Italian Esk (Il Esk) on a Juventus Forum (GrandOldLady?!) saying his contacts are saying similar things. And they have the press talking about them wanting him AND today the Zenit chair/president person purely spoke of Juve's interest.

I'm sure if we sold McCarthy, Niasse, Kone, McGeady and Oviedo there might be a bit of room to make something happen. We're already about 175k a week down on wages from Howard/Pienaar/Osman/Hibbert, so that'd be up to around 350k a week if we sold the above-mentioned players too. Let's round that down to like 275k a week if we include Gueye and Stekelenberg's new wages. Didn't we recently sign a sponsorship deal with Williams Hill? Perhaps they have other similar deals in the pipeline? Nobody really knows. It seems quite optimistic that we could do that, but we'll find out soon enough.
So 275k p/w to play with.

Rules allow us to increase our wage budget by £7m per season +/- any change in non broadcasting revenues.

So looking at the trading profit from those players.

We might make a bit on McCarthy (though I don't think he'll be sold), let's say we bring in £17m on him - that's a £3.5m profit.
We'll lose £6m on Kone.
We'll lose £1m on McGeady
If we loan Niasse, he's a wash. If we sell him we'll lose AT LEAST £6m
Oviedo hard to say, but let's say a couple of million profit.

Player trading will be somewhere between a £13m LOSS and about breaking even.

So we'll have a net wage "budget" for new players of somewhere between £275k p/w and about 25k p/w

Even at the top end of that, we'd have salary space for what, a couple of the players you mentioned? Certainly not anywhere near the full list.

Sadly, due to the STCC rules, we probably do NEED to sell Stones - and he'll almost certainly go. Which I guess makes this conversation kinda moot :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back