Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

You don't think John Stones will go on to be a better player than Ashley Williams?

Possibly. But in no way is he a better defender.

Williams would comfortably walk into any PL side bar maybe Spurs/City, he's been consistently in the top 5 centre-halves in the league for quite a while now. Stones on the other hand has been a liability.

Ok mate we should sell Lukaku then as making a 35-40m profit is good business, should also sell Ross btw, we paid nothing for him so getting say 30m would be fantastic, same goes for stones, we can get 50m, so in total we will have made a profit as a business of around 120m this summer.

Maybe the fans can make a song up about it :)

Alternatively try reading more than the first line of the post you quoted and try to figure out exactly where i said we should be financially irresponsible?

BTW soon as you start to look at Everton and whats defines success in pure business terms then your not worth bothering with IMO

Success is first and foremost determined by results on the pitch, anything else is a bonus but if you aren't producing then it doesn't matter what your stadium is like, what you profit sheet looks like, you have failed in what ultimately matters most

Now you're just being silly.

I was very clear in what I was saying:

'The money means absolutely nothing unless you can actually spend it end of the day mate'

The numbers of times I've heard this type of comment from people - basically trying to justify wasteful spending is beyond belief.

As well as being a football club we are a business.

Meaning we still need to be financially responsible.

Spend money and buy GOOD PLAYERS by all means. But that is not an excuse for wasteful spending. o_O

Possibly. But in no way is he a better defender.

Williams would comfortably walk into any PL side bar maybe Spurs/City, he's been consistently in the top 5 centre-halves in the league for quite a while now. Stones on the other hand has been a liability.

Stones is a fantastic defender on his day. I've seen him make tackles and blocks where I've thought "how did you do that?" Yeah, he was guilty of complacency at times which led to errors but so was everyone else in the defence under the previous regime, because they weren't actually drilled or coached. Put Williams in a Martinez defence and he'll look awful too. Stones under a proper manager will be one of the best defenders ever seen in this league in a couple of years.

But even you seem to have lowered expectations from earlier on in the window mate, less than 2 weeks until kick off and we have brought in 2 players, not the greatest really

I haven't lowered my expectations mate, in fact I usually get criticised for not having done so lol.

The end of the window is when the analysis is done, not the beginning of the season. My opinion is that the two should coincide but that's a different subject.

With respect, you could say the same about Everton there.

It's very clear we made a very large bid early in the process and that stands. It's also clear we've discussed personal terms and had agreement only for his demands to change.

I'll be happy with us selling Niasse, McGeady and Kone (fees aren't important) plus one of McCarthy/Besic, then signing Williams, a top goalkeeper, a top striker and perhaps one of Witsel/Mata/Carvalho.

Obviously if Stones leaves it all changes as we will be receiving mega money and will need a big name replacement for him, then all of the above and another 1 - 2 top players to justify selling one of our best players for the good of the squad.

Lukaku cannot be sold, end of.
You know we can't do that WITHOUT selling Stones (or Rom, I guess), right?

All these quoted fees for players - making me feel old.

I remember when £3m was a monumental amount for a player.
I remember when Newcastle signed Shearer for £15 million and my head nearly exploded! Think we were linked to Klinsmann that summer too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back