Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far it has to be said that it isn't the transfer window we all expected with just over a week to go until kick off, which is a shame and possible missed opportunity?, I mean we where told it would be a busy week but for this week it's looking increasingly likely that we will have only brought in gueye

As ever a very thoughtful piece, especially the idea that we may transition from a club that tried to retain players to one that was more open to trading, particularly given that Koeman has had some success with this strategy.

Personally I think it's a high risk strategy but perhaps it has one benefit of offering players a relatively easy exit route if we are not the right club or fail to match our ambitions.

I have thought for some time whether or not our determination to keep Stones last year, and our determination to keep Lukaku this year is counter-productive in the recruitment process. There may be a feeling that we are a difficult club to leave which in an era when it seems players move more frequently than the past may present problems.

Having said that we need a core group to build around and it is clear that Lukaku forms a key component given our reliance on his goals.

I can only stress that we have a new contract on the table for him to sign, but with potential release clauses should a CL club come knocking in the future. Raiola was happy to agree the contract with Lukaku so clearly there is not the same desire to leave Everton as suggested by some of the press.

What will make the job of him staying easier is our successes in the current window attracting a Mata, a Carvalho or Witsel etc.

Personally I believe we offer enough and will bring in sufficient talent to retain his services. I don't doubt then he will perform at his very best for Koeman, unlike the dismal effort at the end of the Martinez reign.

Do you still fancy Witsel and Carvalho being Everton players? Seems to have gone very quiet on both of them the last few days. Surely if we was to throw some extra cash at one of them to get the first 'marquee' signing over the line, it would make it a lot easier to get the rest on side with regards to selling the project to them.

tumblr_mte0leOE2z1rs1y76o1_500.gif

Truth is that we aren't that different to that lot over the park. Delusion is accepted more than realism, those who don't accept the delusion are excommunicated or labelled as bedwetters. To give examples of this, the 'best squad in 30 years' has failed to reach the top half of the table for the last two years. The person who assembled this squad was being described as a saviour less than seven months ago, but now our inability to reach the top half of the table is all down to his tactics and management style. The truth is that the squad itself is very poor and miles away from what is required to compete for top four. People are now using the word 'unbalanced' as a euphemism to describe a sub standard squad that is in urgent need of an overhaul.

Would just like to add a word in support of this view. My personal opinion FWIW, is that we urgently need 5-7 additional signings, I don't particularly have a preference for 'big' names vs Idrissa Gueye signings, just as long as the seemingly obvious gaps in the squad are addressed and in addition, Stones and Lukaku replaced (notwithstanding the difficulty with replacing RL in particular) as the case may be. I am perfectly content to accept signings brought in on their own merits as assessed by Koeman and Walsh, and still content to judge our business at the end of the window.

Things may run astray in here at times, but frustration stems from our lack of business to date, that's all. We all want the best for the club at the end of the day.

I can't blame the club at all for the logjam. We should have realised that we are just not a draw for players who want cl football. I still think we will get significant boosts to the squad, but that it is likely to be on deadline day, when players like Witsel who for the moment don't mind playing a waiting game, will sing a different tune if that cl team hasn't come calling and hes facing another year in Russia.

Do you still fancy Witsel and Carvalho being Everton players? Seems to have gone very quiet on both of them the last few days. Surely if we was to throw some extra cash at one of them to get the first 'marquee' signing over the line, it would make it a lot easier to get the rest on side with regards to selling the project to them.

I think with Witsel it's a question of do Juve really want him, and despite all that's been written there's nothing from Juve to suggest that as yet? Otherwise he will be content to join us, as he has been very close to doing so on two occasions this summer.

There's still confidence we can attract Carvalho and that work continues behind the scenes.

Mata as I mentioned yesterday has been re-ignited and I believe we have an extremely good chance of succeeding in landing what for many would be a marquee signing.

I'll be happy with us selling Niasse, McGeady and Kone (fees aren't important) plus one of McCarthy/Besic, then signing Williams, a top goalkeeper, a top striker and perhaps one of Witsel/Mata/Carvalho.

Obviously if Stones leaves it all changes as we will be receiving mega money and will need a big name replacement for him, then all of the above and another 1 - 2 top players to justify selling one of our best players for the good of the squad.

Lukaku cannot be sold, end of.

As ever a very thoughtful piece, especially the idea that we may transition from a club that tried to retain players to one that was more open to trading, particularly given that Koeman has had some success with this strategy.

Personally I think it's a high risk strategy but perhaps it has one benefit of offering players a relatively easy exit route if we are not the right club or fail to match our ambitions.

I have thought for some time whether or not our determination to keep Stones last year, and our determination to keep Lukaku this year is counter-productive in the recruitment process. There may be a feeling that we are a difficult club to leave which in an era when it seems players move more frequently than the past may present problems.

Having said that we need a core group to build around and it is clear that Lukaku forms a key component given our reliance on his goals.

I can only stress that we have a new contract on the table for him to sign, but with potential release clauses should a CL club come knocking in the future. Raiola was happy to agree the contract with Lukaku so clearly there is not the same desire to leave Everton as suggested by some of the press.

What will make the job of him staying easier is our successes in the current window attracting a Mata, a Carvalho or Witsel etc.

Personally I believe we offer enough and will bring in sufficient talent to retain his services. I don't doubt then he will perform at his very best for Koeman, unlike the dismal effort at the end of the Martinez reign.

Key to this as well mate is how, even though Rom has hardly featured in pre-season, the entire team is transitioning to a style that will suit him down to the ground.

I think with Witsel it's a question of do Juve really want him, and despite all that's been written there's nothing from Juve to suggest that as yet? Otherwise he will be content to join us, as he has been very close to doing so on two occasions this summer.

There's still confidence we can attract Carvalho and that work continues behind the scenes.

Mata as I mentioned yesterday has been re-ignited and I believe we have an extremely good chance of succeeding in landing what for many would be a marquee signing.
But even you seem to have lowered expectations from earlier on in the window mate, less than 2 weeks until kick off and we have brought in 2 players, not the greatest really

I think all three of those deals could well drag on mate. People won't like it and yes we'd all prefer them to be done earlier, but we have to accept that this is how it will be if we want big names to join us.

Given that at the end of the season we put a 65mill tag on Lukaku to ward off potential suitors, I think 65mill and Remy isn't a bad option should he still not want to play for us anymore

With respect, you could say the same about Everton there.

So far it has to be said that it isn't the transfer window we all expected with just over a week to go until kick off, which is a shame and possible missed opportunity?, I mean we where told it would be a busy week but for this week it's looking increasingly likely that we will have only brought in gueye

lol at you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back