Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you actually give an example of this from some poster Dym? I would reckon not, and think that kind of comment is akin to a tabloid news article with nada to back it up.

The truth is you constantly, and almost exclusively, post negative comments. Very tiresome. Reality is taking a balanced view of things, and I think I would say the majority of the posters who keep pulling up the moaners are balanced. Reality is not unbalanced and incessant posting of a purely negative outlook on something.

Some people would prefer the forum is not dragged down in heads on fire comments or constant one-eyed negativity

Great post

Not knocking Williams, but it seems odd that a player who would walk into any side in the league is supposedly moving from a team that finished 12th to a team that finished 11th. Any particular reason why you think none of the managers of the teams he would walk into have decided to buy him?

Considering Mertasacker is out for the rest of the year, surprised that Arsenal haven't gone in for him.

Always make me chuckle when people have a go at ITK's - no one apart from the parties involved can now anything about what is ultimately an uncertain situation, a contract negotiation. Really its us that are hanging on for even the sniff of a rumour that create the vicious circle, but ultimately its a good thing. We are passionate about the club we love.

You just have to take them for what they are - tit bits and rumours. We're being linked with a lot more people than usual because of the new owner, which is making the problem that bit worse this season. On the other hand if my agent wasn't linking me to someone with money to get me a new contract at my current club I would sack them. All compounded by persuading quality to come when we've finished bottom half - no european football and FFP.

It's all a big game isn't it. The clubs doing the business of transfers, agents swooping around trying to make cash, the traditional media drumming up ad revenue and lots of football sites and twitter accounts trying to carve a slice out for themselves with [Poor language removed] articles and worse linked reports. Then there is us the fans left in the middle - it makes your head swim the amount of people we have been linked to - in all honesty I get upset about people we haven't signed who Id never heard of a week ago let alone seen play. So goes the transfer merry-go-round.

So I say thanks to the ITKs, they make the long close season more entertaining - and help bridge the gap until we can see the boys at Goodison again.

Merlin knows...

I think we need to understand that - whatever his physique may suggest - Lukaku is not an old fashioned centre forward like Shearer. Shearer didn't give defenders an easy ride because that's the type of all action physical player he was. Lukaku is more like a Van Nistelrooy in my opinion, he wants to be in the box poaching or playing on the shoulder of defenders rather than getting involved in the rough stuff. Players like that can give the impression that they're giving defenders an easy ride but they cause defenders a lot more problems mentally (having to be aware and switched on for 90 minutes) than the physical battering rams do.

Martinez didn't play to Lukaku's strengths and he eventually got fed up with it. The sooner people realise that he'll never be that physical powerhouse they expect him to be, the sooner they'll realise he's among the very best at doing what he's good at.

I think that's reasonable but players can adapt their game. I think Lukaku can still do a lot more when he is not at 100%. I also think on some games, even van Nistlerooy got himself between the sticks and challenged for crosses.

I do wonder if our bluff has been called a little bit regarding Lukaku. We placed a 65 million fee on his head which looked exorbitant and quite laughable given a lot of his performances at the Euro's. In part due to his antics I think we probably upped that to 75 million. I think this was to put Rom in his place.

For whatever reason it looks as if Chelsea may well get close to calling our bluff and getting very close to those figures. It smacks of a panic buy in all honesty, with growing discontent at their lack of activity, fears they are being left behind by United/City and a new manager looking to make a mark while struggling to finalise deals. A Chelsea ST holder I speak to says he wants 2 up top.

I think it's left us in a quandary. In all honesty I am not sure many people would be gutted if we lost Lukaku for circa 70 million. It wouldn't feel like Lescott, Rooney or even the Stones saga last season. His first touch is poor but I think you can work around that to a point if he used his physicality better. It's more that he has too many bad games for me. I remember Lampard saying judge a footballer on his bad games not his good games as most weeks you are not having a stand out performance.

Lukaku really struggles in that regard. He was awful for 10 games last season and had games for Belguim where he was very ordinary. People may say with Everton he lost faith with the manager. However do premium level 75 million centre forwards let their performance drop to that extent over being a bit unhappy? I worry about his mental state which is critical to be a top player. Compare him to Suarez (as the fees are in the same bracket though we look likely to get more) even if it's not happening for him in front of goal he still does a lot for the team on a bad day. The same for most top players Rooney, Shearer, Ronaldo even on a bad day they still contribute.

This is the rub though. I think the board would be happy to keep Lukaku to make a statement however I think the manager may be quite au fait with him leaving. We have almost come full circle. We had a manager Moyes who was very reluctant to lose players and Martinez also seemed unwilling to lose young players. Koeman seems cut from a different cloth. Lots of players left Southampton and it never seemed to overly worry him. I think he has very high expectations from a player and if they are not interested they can go. I think he will talk to Rom, but if there's any sign he will sulk like last season I expect Koeman will volley him out personally.

When Lallana left he went and got Mane. When Schneiderlin left he got Claissie. For Shaw see Bertrand, for Chambers see Clyne, Lambert > Pelle. He seems happy to trade and generally trade upwards if the player wants to go.

I agree with everything @The Esk says in that the board won't want to sell him. He is obviously very sources up. I think we have gone full circle a bit though. Almost from managers who were reluctant to trade with a board who compelled them too, to a situation now where the board may not wish too but a manager who is quite calm with that.

I think the Lukaku situation is fluid. He may go and for the fees quoted I would be quite content. The key will be which Lukaku we get. The one who was on for 30+ goals for 2/3's of last season or the petulant lad who finished last season because of a supposed grievance he faces. I agree with everyone saying replacing 18 goals will be hard, but if he is not switched on and happy he won't score 18 goals.

This will be unpopular but if we can get in 2-3 from Long, Benteke, Bony, Berahino or Lacazette it would give us a balance we lack. I think all of the names could improve under Koeman.

DOES HE IMPROVE?

You had me sold on selling until you named his replacements :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back