Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they have a fair few deals up their sleeve that are being kept under wraps at the moment.

All depends on what the quality is mate.

If they get Ashley Williams sorted that's a cracking deal. If city don't come back in for Stones it will look even better (unlikely).

The centre of midfield has to be improved. Gueye is decent but on last season's evidence - not just the admittedly excellent stats - he isn't the player to move us on to the next tier of performance. Maybe the manager will do that to an extent.

If there remains any hope whatsoever of bringing Juan Mata in it has to be explored to the fullest. Drop Barkley back a bit (is the 8 shirt a hint or just due to Lukaku having the 10? Overwhelmingly the latter I think) drop McCarthy altogether and get Mata to link it all up. Lovely stuff and overnight improvement

So if we look at yesterday's line up, what do we DESPERATELY need?

Stek started in Goal but is he good enough - probably not - Begovich? Pains me Miranda went to Palace...

Back Three - Holgate - looks so casual and instinctive on the ball and reads the game well BUT is young and inexperienced and will get caught out so need someone there - Bruno Martins Indi/Williams/kone

Stones - Want him to stay because under Koeman he will thrive. Jags is obviously available when fit but is aging so we definitely need a CB, Pennington not good enough yet.

Mori - Not sure about him. Clearly loves us, aggressive, excellent in the air and can score the odd goal but makes mistakes and needs to be consistent with a consistent defensive team.

Baines/Coleman are fine and hope they both re-find their form being used in a more attacking role which is where Coleman in particular bosses it.

Barkley needs a back up CAM - Mata?

CDM - issues across the board - not good enough in this area and hoping Witsel solves these. Cannot see Carv happening. Gueye will tidy this area up.

Del and Mirallas are solid and I genuinely believe will smash it this season. We could probably do with a back left winger - talks of Brady seem to have gone. Lennon on the bench.

Rom up top - 100% need a striker to either support or come on and cause damage. Llorente would be an excellent choice even though 31 looks like Swans are getting him for 5 million!

So to conclude we definitely need a GK (Beg), CB (Martins Indi/Williams/Kone), CAM (Mata), Witsel, LW (?) and ST (?)

Not a lot of time but Ron saying yesterday that they are working hard and he promises players are coming in is enough for me. We have to be patient and trust.

Now for my nonsense to be scrutinised.

Wonder if we are one of the clubs interested in this Slimani fella - Algerian.

Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani is attracting interest from a string of Premier League clubs, including two that will play in the Champions League this season, Sky sources understand.

The 28-year-old Algeria international has scored 56 goals in 107 appearances for Sporting, including 31 in 44 last season.

Sporting want to keep Slimani and, aware of interest from England, they have offered him a new contract to stay in Portugal.

But Sky Sports News HQ has been told that Slimani feels it is the right time to move on and wants to play in the Premier League.

It is understood the player even had a meeting with Sporting president Bruno de Carvalho last summer in which he was assured a potential move away would be discussed this time if he scored prolifically in the Portuguese Primeira last term.

Never heard of him.

Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani is attracting interest from a string of Premier League clubs, including two that will play in the Champions League this season, Sky sources understand.

The 28-year-old Algeria international has scored 56 goals in 107 appearances for Sporting, including 31 in 44 last season.

Sporting want to keep Slimani and, aware of interest from England, they have offered him a new contract to stay in Portugal.

But Sky Sports News HQ has been told that Slimani feels it is the right time to move on and wants to play in the Premier League.

It is understood the player even had a meeting with Sporting president Bruno de Carvalho last summer in which he was assured a potential move away would be discussed this time if he scored prolifically in the Portuguese Primeira last term.

Never heard of him.

Really? Quite well known.

Looks very good but question marks over whether he'd be able to do it at Premier League level.

We were vaguely linked with him last year too.

Never heard of him.
At this rate we will just be buying their team. that is their striker and two midfielders we are signing now!

Stek started in Goal but is he good enough - probably not - Begovich? Pains me Miranda went to Palace...

Back Three - Holgate - looks so casual and instinctive on the ball and reads the game well BUT is young and inexperienced and will get caught out so need someone there - Bruno Martins Indi/Williams/kone

Stones - Want him to stay because under Koeman he will thrive. Jags is obviously available when fit but is aging so we definitely need a CB, Pennington not good enough yet.

Mori - Not sure about him. Clearly loves us, aggressive, excellent in the air and can score the odd goal but makes mistakes and needs to be consistent with a consistent defensive team.

Baines/Coleman are fine and hope they both re-find their form being used in a more attacking role which is where Coleman in particular bosses it.

CDM - issues across the board - not good enough in this area and hoping Witsel solves these. Cannot see Carv happening. Gueye will tidy this area up.

Del and Mirallas are solid and I genuinely believe will smash it this season. We could probably do with a back left winger - talks of Brady seem to have gone. Lennon on the bench.

Rom up top - 100% need a striker to either support or come on and cause damage. Llorente would be an excellent choice even though 31 looks like Swans are getting him for 5 million!

So to conclude we definitely need a GK (Beg), CB (Martins Indi/Williams/Kone), CAM (Mata), Witsel, LW (?) and ST (?)

Not a lot of time but Ron saying yesterday that they are working hard and he promises players are coming in is enough for me. We have to be patient and trust.

Agree mate.

As it stands, IMO, this is what we need (this is presuming both Rom and Stones stay, which in the case of the latter is almost certainly not happening).

Goalkeeper - Confident we will get one in and I'd wager we have a long list of targets. Stek is sound as back up though and him and Robles will compete with each other. Imagine Stek will start vs Spurs.

Centre-back - A commanding centre half to come in and add organisation and leadership. Looks like our enquiries were Fonte, Williams and Dann. Williams is the one we've gone for. He is supposedly happy to come to us and Swansea, despite going back on our initial deal, will most likely accept the money. Would be an excellent signing.

Central midfield - Gueye is a decent signing IMO, and may well have been moved onto if it turns out Carvalho did turn us down, but we need real quality in there if possible. Witsel still looks to be NO.1 target, so somebody in the box to box mould who adds presence and skill seems to be the order of the day. Think this is a position that the signing will drag on right until deadline day (deal with it peeps).

Attacking midfielder/playmaker - Mata would be the ideal scenario. Hopefully that works out.

Striker - A quality and experienced back up who ideally can hold the ball up and give us another facet to our play.

If/when Stones does go, we then need to move for a replacement for him. Should we get a central midfielder in, I imagine at least one (if not two) of Cleverley, McCarthy, Gibson and maybe even Barry (unlikely I think though) will be moved on if they've proved they're not gonna fit the new style. Not sure on Besic, think RK likes his tenacity and rightly so.

Stones will 100% be off mate, so can forget about including him, and that means we need a top notch replacement in addition the the likely arrival of Williams.

Need two cm's in addition to Gueye, otherwise one injury happens and we'd be back to Barry or McCarthy playing and same old problems.

Definitely need a wigner whose natural on the left - and one of similar quality to Mirallas and Deulofeu if we can swing it

Need a striker for sure, but Lollorent has been absolutely horrid for a couple of years at least now mate, the Sevilla fans are absolutely bouncing that he is leaving them

I'm not just using last season. Howard has been poor for 2 seasons and Pienaar has made 13 league appearances in 2 years.

I honestly can't believe that you really think we are going to miss them.

Why would you renew the contracts of 2 players who don't have anything left to offer us?

I think you are deluded if you continue to call Howard and Pienaar very good players. They once were undoubtedly but sadly no longer.

McCarthy has age on his side and is a better player to have in the squad at this moment in time than Pienaar or Howard.

I'm sorry but it's not 2010 anymore.

I don't think we ever replaced Pienaar after we first lost him, we've missed that creative link in midfield for a few years. Pienaar made a bad decision moving to Tottenham and apart from a few moments after his return he hasn't been the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back