Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally rate Jags, Funes Mori and Stones more highly. Then you've got Fonte, Kompany, Vertonghen, Alderwiereld, Van Dijk, Koscielny, Morgan, Smalling to name a few. Oh, and most of them aren't close to drawing their pension. Even if he is top 10, he's a stop gap and replacing a 23 year old international with a guy who has maybe 3 years leftat the top level and who has only looked decent for 3 seasons is not progress, it's surrender.

So basically, you can't.

You don't think we could find a younger replacement for him in the next 3 years? People really aren't thinking about the bigger picture here.

Out of that list (that aren't our players) who realistically could we sign mate?

Saints demanded £20mil when we approached for Fonte, and by all accounts VVD is valued at £40mil. Rest are at CL clubs.

Plus, I worry about how you judge a defender if you think Funes is better than Williams as it stands?

I wasn't proposing we buy any of them, I was just pointing out that selling England's most promising young defender and replacing him with a 32 year old journeyman (albeit one who has had a couple of good seasons) from Swansea for £15M quid is not progress for me. We should have looked for a younger centre back from abroad and we should have been planning for this from the end of last season. This all seems a bit like we just had a sift around and grabbed who we could get.

With respect they were not lies at all. Both attracted genuine interest from the club, we made bids on both and with Carvalho in particular were very close to concluding. Carvalho is not an absolute no at present but less likely than was the case a couple of weeks ago. Koulibaly has indicated a preference for Chelsea.
I just can't get my head around so many players being 'on the verge' or 'close' to joining us, then us failing to sign a single one of them. Carvalho, Koulibaly, Witsel, Mata off the top of my head, no doubt more too.

I've said all along, I don't believe we'll sign any of these top players and believe your sources may be wrong (appears that way, as you told us we're def signing Witsel and Mata weeks ago), but that I'd be more than prepared to eat my words and apologise to you if indeed we manage to sign players you've claimed we are after.

The damage done by Martinez appears to be much bigger than we first thought; indeed throwing money at these players doesn't even seem like it is enough to convince them to join us. Sad times really.

No one is saying Distin wasn't a good signing - for a side that bumped its head at 5th place for all the years after he joined.

'Nothing will be the same' suggested that we were aiming high, it's the new Ev dining at the top table.

All looking like a load of porkies.

We absolutely need to hold on to our top talent, much like Spurs did with Bale for example. Imagine what would have happened in if they cashed in. Or old Ronlado at Man U - look at how they rebuffed that offer from Real. Top clubs like what we are aspiring to be hold on to their talent. Moshiri out and take Bill with you.

So basically, you can't.

You don't think we could find a younger replacement for him in the next 3 years? People really aren't thinking about the bigger picture here.
Or I did, you disagree with what I said, then you carry on pushing your apologist agenda for some reason.

I've been wanting it for decades you patronising blert. We used to win things, then we decided we weren't good enough and we should be happy with what we had. Then, we had a glimmer of something more, and it was a mirage. Sorry if you don't like my tone but this summers recruitment is shaping up to be no better than any of the last 10 summers and I'm no more happy with that than I was last year or the year before that. If not now then when? No doubt you'll be telling me to grow up or that I'm a bedwetter next summer and the summer after that. I'll grow up when you grow some ambition.
It's not about me having a lack of ambition. I want to win things. I just realise that we just don't have the financial clout to compete with the big boys yet. This new guy has a fair whack but nowhere near what we would need to go out and spend £150 million plus in one summer! I think we will need the new stadium to be in progress and a better league position before the better players start taking notice.

With respect they were not lies at all. Both attracted genuine interest from the club, we made bids on both and with Carvalho in particular were very close to concluding. Carvalho is not an absolute no at present but less likely than was the case a couple of weeks ago. Koulibaly has indicated a preference for Chelsea.

Would you still think we are more likely than not to get Witsel and Mata? Need to get one of them at least.

Will we attempt to sign other "marquee" names do you think or will we have to buy at the level of Yannick Bolasie?

I can't see us getting anywhere near £80-£100m net spend now - would you agree?

Thanks again. Please keep letting us know what you are hearing. It is much appreciated.

I know we get frustrated with the lack of signings and the links to big names and then subsequent links to lesser names. We have to remember that we have a new management structure in place and their view of what we need is constantly changing. RK said the other day after Espanyol that we were too nice. So now it looks as if he is targeting more aggressive no nonsense players such a Williams and Kone. I would rather we spend less money on players that will improve the team unit rather than big money on players that stand around like a jiz bucket and offer very little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back