Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's contradictory evidence on this mate and an awful lot of spin about it which is wrapped up with criticism of the outgoing manager.

How, for example, do we account for an Everton team that went to Wembley on a massive energy sapping pitch like that taking control of the game in the last half hour and looking easily the stronger team to go on and win it if United hadn't scored in the last seconds? How does that underscore the theory? In other games earlier in the season we lost games right at the death but we'd actually won them late on to throw away. There was just a collective collapse in that team - the manager and team were estranged in the latter half of the season and discipline just wasn't there. Was conditioning a problem in RMs first season here? Not an issue then as I remember.

Imo the problem isn't fitness so much as a team that was struggling with a terrible backline who let the team as a forward going entity down badly.

Koeman shouldn't be set a low bar of raising fitness levels. I hope his speciality is sorting out discipline.

They all tie in though. The games you mentioned tended to be the exception rather than the rule,

I commented pre-season last year how unfit we looked but gave the benefit of the doubt to a pacing the team ethic, but that didn't transpire. Any team should be able to raise and draw on fumes at Wembley in such a game. The discipline thing was partly down to fitness, he was asking players to do things they weren't physically capable of maintaining, which lead to the defence having no respite and making lots of mistakes.

As for his first season I don't think the slump set in until after the new year and we again ran out of steam but I believe that was a oyes legacy, we always had a stronger second half to the season, he too didn't get them ready to hit the ground running, which is what I expect from the players more or less.

The physical side then knocked on to the mental fitness. The players need a stricter manager, none of the namby pamby stuff, playing seems easier when you can cope with the demands, if you can't cope you lose focus and mistakes happen. That's something Koeman, by the looks of it, won't tolerate.

...more bullying.
Crying+Baby+Natural+High+for+Some+Moms.jpg

They all tie in though. The games you mentioned tended to be the exception rather than the rule,

I commented pre-season last year how unfit we looked but gave the benefit of the doubt to a pacing the team ethic, but that didn't transpire. Any team should be able to raise and draw on fumes at Wembley in such a game. The discipline thing was partly down to fitness, he was asking players to do things they weren't physically capable of maintaining, which lead to the defence having no respite and making lots of mistakes.

As for his first season I don't think the slump set in until after the new year and we again ran out of steam but I believe that was a oyes legacy, we always had a stronger second half to the season, he too didn't get them ready to hit the ground running, which is what I expect from the players more or less.

The physical side then knocked on to the mental fitness. The players need a stricter manager, none of the namby pamby stuff, playing seems easier when you can cope with the demands, if you can't cope you lose focus and mistakes happen. That's something Koeman, by the looks of it, won't tolerate.

Despite his 70% remark last week that played up the fan's own prejudices about lack of fitness as an issue, I bet Koeman doesn't look at this squad and immediately think: "If only I can get this lot up to 100% we can go places". More likely he's thinking: "Where is the intensity and spirit of these players? They look suited to a different possession based game rather than the sort I want, I'm going to get rid and buy in new players".

The solution here wont be conditioning it'll be an open cheque book.

Despite his 70% remark last week that played up the fan's own prejudices about lack of fitness as an issue, I bet Koeman doesn't look at this squad and immediately think: "If only I can get this lot up to 100% we can go places". More likely he's thinking: "Where is the intensity and spirit of these players? They look suited to a different possession based game rather than the sort I want, I'm going to get rid and buy in new players".

If they are suited to a possession baed game they certainly didn't show it last season.

I imagine he will look at the current squad and know there are a few weak characters in there that need replacing.

So long as he opens it for another Lukaku type and not a Niasse type (level of player) then we'll all be happy.

don't need a ball playing centre back mate - don't really see that as a thing Koeman partuicularly looks to do with his teams, we do need another centre mid mind.

Shame to move from Stones to two CBs (one being 32) who just hoof it long. He himself was a ball playing CB.

Hans was a liar as well............. There once was an ugly duckling......... what happened..... it grew up and turned in to a beautiful swan.Liar........... a duckling turns in to a duck .... a cygnet turns in to a swan.The Whopper.
The brightest star of them all Marnie! There once was an ugly cygnet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back