Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be moving along nicely for each of Hart, Koné, and Ghezzal.

What could possibly go wrong now?............

If we can get all 3 over the line I hope I we have a striker lined up too.

I mean I think barkley's skillset is basically half of a great player and certainly not a box to box midfielder

he's quick on the turn, fast, and can put together safe passes but struggles with through balls and 'creative' passing. he's also a tricky dribbler and can finish, but he's terrible in the air, in a tackle and positionally. I don't see how this adds up to a box to box type
It's very rarely a box to box midfield player has all the attributes of the trade: I could add great control, screening and stamina to the check list you produced. If Barkley had all that he'd be off to Real Madrid for £100M.

As I said, he's definitely not a tackler and would probably injure himself trying to do it. But he's able to close down space and he can easy enough add that to his game on a more regular basis. His passing and game going forward are beyond doubt. If Koeman cant teach Barkley the type of stuff he needs to add to his game then that'd be the fault of the manager. Martinez didn't want Barkley playing that way and he hasn't acquired all the tools to do the job. The lad is in the club and on the evidence I've seen I'd rather this manager worked properly with him rather than throw record fees at players who can do some skills better than Barkley but not others.

I think that's the key for me overall with Koeman in this window. I'd like to know what he in particular brings to the party. What's his input, because I've not really seen anything so far to suggest (other than a huff and puff performance against Spurs) that he's teaching these lads new tricks.

It's very rarely a box to box midfield player has all the attributes of the trade: I could add great control, screening and stamina to the check list you produced. If Barkley had all that he'd be off to Real Madrid for £100M.

As I said, he's definitely not a tackler and would probably injure himself trying to do it. But he's able to close down space and he can easy enough add that to his game on a more regular basis. His passing and game going forward are beyond doubt. If Koeman cant teach Barkley the type of stuff he needs to add to his game then that'd be the fault of the manager. Martinez didn't want Barkley playing that way and he hasn't acquired all the tools to do the job. The lad is in the club and on the evidence I've seen I'd rather this manager worked properly with him rather than throw record fees at players who can do some skills better than Barkley but not others.

I think that's the key for me overall with Koeman in this window. I'd like to know what he in particular brings to the party. What's his input, because I've not really seen anything so far to suggest (other than a huff and puff performance against Spurs) that he's teaching these lads new tricks.

He's recognised they're not fit, which is something Martinez never did and contributed to as manager, We weren't fit going into the beginning of last season and didn't catch up by the end. We came a cropper in so many games last season because we basically ran out of steam around 60-65 minutes in. Koeman knows that and has said so, that is a huge thing to have to identify straight off and if he addresses that quickly the team will be unrecognisable from last season, imho of course.

He's recognised they're not fit, which is something Martinez never did and contributed to as manager, We weren't fit going into the beginning of last season and didn't catch up by the end. We came a cropper in so many games last season because we basically ran out of steam around 60-65 minutes in. Koeman knows that and has said so, that is a huge thing to have to identify straight off and if he addresses that quickly the team will be unrecognisable from last season, imho of course.

I think there's contradictory evidence on this mate and an awful lot of spin about it which is wrapped up with criticism of the outgoing manager.

How, for example, do we account for an Everton team that went to Wembley on a massive energy sapping pitch like that taking control of the game in the last half hour and looking easily the stronger team to go on and win it if United hadn't scored in the last seconds? How does that underscore the theory? In other games earlier in the season we lost games right at the death but we'd actually won them late on to throw away. There was just a collective collapse in that team - the manager and team were estranged in the latter half of the season and discipline just wasn't there. Was conditioning a problem in RMs first season here? Not an issue then as I remember.

Imo the problem isn't fitness so much as a team that was struggling with a terrible backline who let the team as a forward going entity down badly.

Koeman shouldn't be set a low bar of raising fitness levels. I hope his speciality is sorting out discipline.

Barkley doesn't read the game well, this means that he doesn't release the ball when he should and he doesn't take up the right positions. I have spent the last two seasons being driven mad by him taking so many touches of the ball. I didn't have that experience with him against Spurs, but after one game it's a bit soon to discern any change in how he plays. I'm not bothered that he can't tackle, if he read the game better and took up the right positions, he would be able to win the ball without tackling, as Barry and Gueye seem to do. For all his technical attributes with the ball, he has a lot of developing to do when he doesn't have the ball.

...are you not finding the honestly kinda refreshing David? In partic relation to fitness/NIASSE/transfers etc...

And, well, there's only been one huff & puff game so far Dear hasn't there, so I think that applied to most sides last weekend TBH mate.

Barkley doesn't read the game well, this means that he doesn't release the ball when he should and he doesn't take up the right positions. I have spent the last two seasons being driven mad by him taking so many touches of the ball. I didn't have that experience with him against Spurs, but after one game it's a bit soon to discern any change in how he plays. I'm not bothered that he can't tackle, if he read the game better and took up the right positions, he would be able to win the ball without tackling, as Barry and Gueye seem to do. For all his technical attributes with the ball, he has a lot of developing to do when he doesn't have the ball.
He has all the right equipment to do it. As said, what is Koeman here for if he doesn't add to a players game?

...are you not finding the honestly kinda refreshing David? In partic relation to fitness/NIASSE/transfers etc...

And, well, there's only been one huff & puff game so far Dear hasn't there, so I think that applied to most sides last weekend TBH mate.
Jesus wept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back