Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
That low a release clause surprises me, German clubs just don't have a culture of much movement in the winter and that clause would seem to leave them hugely vulnerable in a key area of their squad.

How would you judge the competition - there aren't extensive training sessions at this time of year, the games come too quickly and the payers are generally tired anyhow. And even a good training session isn't the same as a compeititve match - would you rotate the keepers?

And if you were Robles wouldn't you decide to leave if a youngster came in and immediately got parity after patiently waiting for years for your own run at the shirt?
Ive got a lot of time for you so Im hoping I dont come across adversarial.

As far as how I'd judge them, im not the manager or in the setup. I just know from watching quite a bit of the Bundesliga I think he'd be an excellent signing and a MASSIVE upgrade on Howard. Hell, there are more than a few keepers there that would be a REALLY big improvement on Howard(honestly think German keepers are the future in Europe) but I don't know if they have a release clause like Horn is reported to have.

And I get it wouldn't be 'fair' to Robles, but this isn't a 'fair' business. It's a 'results' business. Its akin to Kenny a bit, he's seen to be a significant part of the future of Everton, yet the club went in for Byram. Would that have been 'fair' to him? Or someone in another position if a major improvement becomes/became available?

Ive got a lot of time for you so Im hoping I dont come across adversarial.

As far as how I'd judge them, im not the manager or in the setup. I just know from watching quite a bit of the Bundesliga I think he'd be an excellent signing and a MASSIVE upgrade on Howard. Hell, there are more than a few keepers there that would be a REALLY big improvement on Howard(honestly think German keepers are the future in Europe) but I don't know if they have a release clause like Horn is reported to have.

And I get it wouldn't be 'fair' to Robles, but this isn't a 'fair' business. It's a 'results' business. Its akin to Kenny a bit, he's seen to be a significant part of the future of Everton, yet the club went in for Byram. Would that have been 'fair' to him? Or someone in another position if a major improvement becomes/became available?
Cheers mate, no worries about coming across as adversarial, even if you did (which you don't) I love a good argument based on different views of something as long as both parties can shake hands afterward and agree to disagree. Which is why I'm picking on you :p, hope you don't mind!

My unhappiness for recruiting a goalkeeper in the winter window boils down to three things
1) the lack of choice in the market as few are available. It sounds like Horn might be one we'd go for in a summer anyhow so that may be less of an issue.

2) I see goalkeeper as (if you'll forgive the phrase) an "unique" position. You can't rotate it during games to ease a player in and it needs a run of matches to fairly judge as the relationship with the CBs is so important, let alone allowing some adapting to a different league. So I don't see it as being realistic to integrate a goalkeeper midseason.

3) It is a position that tends to require an extended run of bad form to justify benching a player - whereas you might take a striker out for a match after a shocker with little comment, dropping a goalkeeper is seen as a far bigger vote of confidence or lack of it. Hence I don't believe there is genuine match to match competition - even though Cech and Courtois were in theoretical competition for a starting position in every match for Chelsea last season, in reality there was a clear first and second choice.

So from a personal side I think it would be far more of an ego blow to Robles to bring someone in say "you're competing directly" without giving Joel an extended chance as #1 that it would be in another role. Bringing Horn in with expectation that Robles at least started out as first choice alleviate the issue but then I can't see why Hron would want to move mideason to almost certainly sit on the bench - better for him to get another 6 months with his current club and then use a preseason to force his way into the squad,

Cheers mate, no worries about coming across as adversarial, even if you did (which you don't) I love a good argument based on different views of something as long as both parties can shake hands afterward and agree to disagree. Which is why I'm picking on you :p, hope you don't mind!

My unhappiness for recruiting a goalkeeper in the winter window boils down to three things
1) the lack of choice in the market as few are available. It sounds like Horn might be one we'd go for in a summer anyhow so that may be less of an issue.

2) I see goalkeeper as (if you'll forgive the phrase) an "unique" position. You can't rotate it during games to ease a player in and it needs a run of matches to fairly judge as the relationship with the CBs is so important, let alone allowing some adapting to a different league. So I don't see it as being realistic to integrate a goalkeeper midseason.

3) It is a position that tends to require an extended run of bad form to justify benching a player - whereas you might take a striker out for a match after a shocker with little comment, dropping a goalkeeper is seen as a far bigger vote of confidence or lack of it. Hence I don't believe there is genuine match to match competition - even though Cech and Courtois were in theoretical competition for a starting position in every match for Chelsea last season, in reality there was a clear first and second choice.

So from a personal side I think it would be far more of an ego blow to Robles to bring someone in say "you're competing directly" without giving Joel an extended chance as #1 that it would be in another role. Bringing Horn in with expectation that Robles at least started out as first choice alleviate the issue but then I can't see why Hron would want to move mideason to almost certainly sit on the bench - better for him to get another 6 months with his current club and then use a preseason to force his way into the squad,
I don't disagree with almost any of that, I think Robles deserves an extended run in the team. I don't personally think he's the answer and that's why I'd rather get in someone boss now with a view to challenging, if not completely tapping over, the #1 spot in the summer. Let's be honest, if Howard were to go this summer and let's say Martinez got in one of the bossest German keepers, I still think he would start Robles out of like what you said. Get in a keeper now, let him bed in with the team with a view for competition in the summer? Might be an open competition.

I don't disagree with almost any of that, I think Robles deserves an extended run in the team. I don't personally think he's the answer and that's why I'd rather get in someone boss now with a view to challenging, if not completely tapping over, the #1 spot in the summer. Let's be honest, if Howard were to go this summer and let's say Martinez got in one of the bossest German keepers, I still think he would start Robles out of like what you said. Get in a keeper now, let him bed in with the team with a view for competition in the summer? Might be an open competition.
Come on mate, we're not meant to reach a happy and acceptable middle ground between our views so quickly lol

I wouldn't say the games we've won have been boring at all...

If you're bored by watching us win, then don't whinge about us not winning.

You do realise that 90% isn't all of everything don't you? 90% of are games are boring of farcical IMO ... If you think backwards passing and no tackling with a shed load of disgraceful defending and individual errors is ok, then fine... This whole discussion started not with me whinging... I simply said " I agree with Merson in his rant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back