Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the fascination with net spend TBH surely it's better if we've improved the team with negative net spend.

I agree mate, I've read a lot about how clubs conduct business in the transfer window and half the people on here don't seem to want to believe it. It really doesn't work how many people think, but I'm not privy to any secret information, it's all there to read on the Internet, it's just very complicated and unromantic and not what fans want to believe or understand.

Far easier for fans to just fume at potential rumours they cling to on Twitter as hope, then bleat on about net spend, whilst throwing around Everton board cliches about, hoping to knee jerk other fans. Bit odd like.

And how is that any different than life under Kenwright?
to be fair, this net spend argument is basically worthless unless it promotes a sell to buy model and lack of investment, ala liverpool these days.

If we spent 100 million but actually made 65 incoming off two players then i call that successful business. If we sign the type of players we want in the process and managed to cut spending down then that is a good thing. I mean to have some boss net spend in the eyes of the short minded we would have to sign loads more players, who would not play then. But right now we brought in (i doubt it, but i haven't a clue) 4 new players by midnight tomorrow. We spend 18 on kone, 30 on an attacker, 2 million on the dutch right back and loan hart or begovic. net spend 50 million or just under. Is the team better? Yes. Is the squad better? Yes. Did we spend a stupid net spend? No.

This is a case where not spending seems on the available evidence e.g. Witsel, Koulibaly to be a failure to convince people to sign rather than an inability or unwillingness to spend. At one level that is even more frustrating. On another it is encouraging for the future as factor in even incremental improvement under Koeman and a new stadium announcement and you'd think we'd be a bit better placed in January/next summer. After years of let-down it is hard to be patient & have trust but right now I think there are enough reasons to do it.

Because during life under Kenwright £45mil of that £60mil would disappear on 'other operating costs'

But, my general point is we'll only sell if we get the right price and the player doesn't want to be here/is deemed surplus.

I'm of the opinion Koeman would gladly keep Macca - and it depends on whether the player wants to push through a move (I hold no grudges either way)
Kenwright wasn't able to sell a player for 50m and get an extra 35m in one window from the TV. That's 85m before Moshiri even has to dip into his pocket this window.

Because during life under Kenwright £45mil of that £60mil would disappear on 'other operating costs'

But, my general point is we'll only sell if we get the right price and the player doesn't want to be here/is deemed surplus.

I'm of the opinion Koeman would gladly keep Macca - and it depends on whether the player wants to push through a move (I hold no grudges either way)
We've recycled everything that came in of late. That was before Moshiri got here. In fact there was a net spend run up in the last couple of seasons.

We hava a billionaire in charge. Why, with squad space available and wages not a problem with the Stones sale, are we not seeing players in?

£3M negative net spend with just over a day to go in this window. I'm calling that an outrage right now.

Eh?

Witsel is nothing like Gueye, neither is Carvalho.

Gueye was always gonna come in (or a player in that mould) as Koeman wants to play that way.

Think it's clear that we prioritised other areas once we had bolstered the midfield with Gueye - that's not to say we won't look to add our 'plan B' before the window closes
I think Witsel and Carvalho were the targets for CM before Walsh arrived but they were for the same position.

Once Gueye came our links to CMs dried up.

If we look at the early Kenwright regime statement of intent we'll find that a stadium scheme also was the overriding objective.

It goes without saying that it is for us, but there surely needs to be more investment into this squad than we've seen so far...and hard luck stories about players 'almost over the line' and greedy agents just wont cut it I'm afraid.
I agree we need more investment in the squad. And, the aim must always be to improve on what we have. Thats what makes it a little more difficult becauase finding that quality, and getting them sign up, isn't easy (as its proving). There's always a reason why we don't get our targets.

Kenwright wasn't able to sell a player for 50m and get an extra 35m in one window from the TV. That's 85m before Moshiri even has to dip into his pocket this window.

BUT money has been spent on other areas as well - that is a definite.

Either way, window isn't done yet. We'll see.

Is it though Dave?

If we sell McCarthy (hypothetically, for £15mil), then we'll have brought in £65mil this summer from two sales alone.

All of that will have been re-invested back into the squad, plus some extra - making the squad better overall.
I think bringing in 65 million on these two players pretty much sums up the state of transfer prices in this crazy time. For some it appears that unless we spend 100 million before sales then it is abject failure. Ask leeds fans if they wish to go on that journey again. Whilst yes absolutely I hope, pray and have all things imaginable crossed that we bring in some sexy big named players, I do live within reality despite football seemingly living somewhere inside the twilight zone (Able hernandez Hull - 20 million mmmm yeah ok..) Think we need a CALM thread for those panicking that we will do a BK on transfer deadline day, the club has this in hand so please everybody chill and remember who runs the club now. Everything is going to be good, cant promise but remember I am the least optimistic person on this planet normally but even I have found the faith somehow and will await with baited breath for those sexy sons of you know what raising the scarf of EV at a million sky-sports witch hunters by Thursday morning.

We've recycled everything that came in of late. That was before Moshiri got here. In fact there was a net spend run up in the last couple of seasons.

We hava a billionaire in charge. Why, with squad space available and wages not a problem with the Stones sale, are we not seeing players in?

£3M negative net spend with just over a day to go in this window. I'm calling that an outrage right now.

Okay Dave, fair enough.

Let's see ey.

As I said, in your favourite season post 2000, we didn't have our 3 most important players until the last hour of deadline day.

We're in a much better position now than we were then, and we will do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back