Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not fallen into darkness at all, just contrasting the outcome versus the opportunity. The hardest thing in business is not closing deals it's getting into position to close deals and all the processes you need to go through to get to that position.

We were in position on so many deals this summer and failed to close them - that's the issue that needs addressing. I'll write more tomorrow about this.

Exactly, and I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall at the club debrief following the transfer-window. Surely heads must roll?
If the cost of a poor end-of-window is that the club finally gets rid of the dead wood still in place at Boardroom level, then it is a price worth paying. I would imagine the January window would see a very different team in charge of negotiations - Moshiri didn't get where he is by tolerating failure and incompetence.

To reply to some of the above.
1. So we should have kept a player who patently did not want to be at the club. Someone who, in the summer of 2015, handed in a WRITTEN transfer request. You clearly have no idea about running any kind of team at any level, nor the dynamics involved in working with a sporting team and keeping the morale, confidence, etc. of that team up. Stones did not want to play for Everton any longer, and that was evidenced in his performances last season. If you do not understand this, then there really is nothing more I can say on the subject...
2. Our goalkeeper stock last season was Howard & Robles. Not exactly the strongest duo. Stek has shown in his appearances this season that he is a step up from those two. Buying a player from a lesser team is no reason to denigrate them. Tim Cahill would have something to say about that. Oh, and I recall we bought a goalkeeper from a 'no-mark' team quite some time ago. His name was Gordon West, from Blackpool...
3. See '1' above. I would also say that probably 99% of Premier League players have won nothing at top flight level. You reasoning is flawed...
4. Any team picking up £30 million will be delighted (well, their supporters will be). Doesn't mean the player is no good, nor that he will not develop and improve in a different team under a different Manager.
6. Sweeping statement, with no foundation in fact. That 'garbage' team finished above us last season and got into Europe. Where have we been the last two seasons? On the slide, that's where.

It's people like you, who show total negativity, who really have nothing to contribute to a discussion/debate. Having available large sums of money is no guarantee of attracting better/top players. Our performances and finishing positions in the last two seasons have shown that. The club has to almost start again and have a great season to restore its credibility, after Martinez all but destroyed it with his 'Wigan' mentality. Again, if you can't see that, then there is nothing more to say on the subject...
So because they have a differing opinion to yours, they have nothing to contribute to a discussion?
Righto then, great way to shout down opposing voices in the name of a debate

1. So we should have kept a player who patently did not want to be at the club. Someone who, in the summer of 2015, handed in a WRITTEN transfer request. You clearly have no idea about running any kind of team at any level, nor the dynamics involved in working with a sporting team and keeping the morale, confidence, etc. of that team up. Stones did not want to play for Everton any longer, and that was evidenced in his performances last season. If you do not understand this, then there really is nothing more I can say on the subject...
2. Our goalkeeper stock last season was Howard & Robles. Not exactly the strongest duo. Stek has shown in his appearances this season that he is a step up from those two. Buying a player from a lesser team is no reason to denigrate them. Tim Cahill would have something to say about that. Oh, and I recall we bought a goalkeeper from a 'no-mark' team quite some time ago. His name was Gordon West, from Blackpool...
3. See '1' above. I would also say that probably 99% of Premier League players have won nothing at top flight level. You reasoning is flawed...
4. Any team picking up £30 million will be delighted (well, their supporters will be). Doesn't mean the player is no good, nor that he will not develop and improve in a different team under a different Manager.
6. Sweeping statement, with no foundation in fact. That 'garbage' team finished above us last season and got into Europe. Where have we been the last two seasons? On the slide, that's where.

It's people like you, who show total negativity, who really have nothing to contribute to a discussion/debate. Having available large sums of money is no guarantee of attracting better/top players. Our performances and finishing positions in the last two seasons have shown that. The club has to almost start again and have a great season to restore its credibility, after Martinez all but destroyed it with his 'Wigan' mentality. Again, if you can't see that, then there is nothing more to say on the subject...

Point number one. All fine and good about not keeping a player who doesn't want to stay. Yep. However you are stating an opinion as fact there when talking about Stones last season. A fair minded fan would take into account his age and the mess the team was in for the last two seasons. He also actually had some very good games for us, and was our best player in the cup Semi. For several games he was the main man in a defence with two youngsters with less experience than him and a newcomer to the league in Funes Mori. Being fair you would acknowledge also that young players will be prone to poor form, I would suggest the situation I describe above would also play a factor in that. As would having a transfer request turned down.

So I think you've gone in a bit haughty there and haven't taken the reasoned approach the rest of your post would seem to be asking of other posters.

Obi wan :)

We kept Rom and Ross.
We sold a player who handed in a transfer request a year ago and was inconsistent last season.
We cleared out a useless manager and back room and a group of players who'd gone past their sell by date.
We managed to ship out McGeady (somehow).
We hired a manager who doesn't settle for poor performance.
We signed arguably the most consistent CB in the league.
We signed a keeper who looks like an improvement on Tim and Joel.
We signed a live wire of a CM who will cover enough ground to let Barry play at his best.
We signed a player that will run at defences and keep them on the back foot.
We signed a backup to Rom that isn't Kone or Niasse.
We have seen signs of improvement in Ross, Kevin, and Del.

So we aimed big and failed. The modern footballer doesn't care about Everton's history, they want money and champions league football. We can provide one of those things but after two bottom half finishes we don't don't look a good bet for the other.

Let's give Walsh a chance to get settled into his role. Leicester's transfer window business was most likely due to his previous work through last season. By January he should, along with RK, have identified targets at all levels to ensure we can strengthen the team by the end of that window. With any luck we'll up and around the European spots to help that process.

All the moaning and crying on here of late makes me think people have a short memory. The Everton team of today is in a better condition than it has been over the past two seasons.

It's this kind of apologism for low standards that has kept this club in the doldrums for 30 years. Being satisfied with ageing short term replacements and players rejected by other teams of a similar standing and then dressing it up as progress is standard Everton defeatism. And if you can't see that then there really is nothing more I can say on the subject

It's this kind of apologism for low standards that has kept this club in the doldrums for 30 years. Being satisfied with ageing short term replacements and players rejected by other teams of a similar standing and then dressing it up as progress is standard Everton defeatism. And if you can't see that then there really is nothing more I can say on the subject

Your further silence on this matter is much appreciated x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back