Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate. I haven't really been watching him a lot since he left. I saw him last night and was quite impressed with his goal and a bit underwhelmed by everything else. Do you think the injury has slowed him down?
I honestly think it's a mentality thing with him. He can still run. He can still beat guys. He can still shoot when he wants. I personally don't see any physical limitations. But my heavens, watch when he gets the ball inside the final third. So hesitant. Just wants to dwell on it. Pass it sideways. He started doing this stuff if you recall at Everton and it drove Koeman nuts.

The old Ross would've been awesome in the Bernard/Iwobi role here under Carlo. I just think his mentality is gone. I keep saying he thinks he's Pirlo. He wants to sit back and move the ball. He'll take guys on at times still, but rarely in front of goal. He just has no balls anymore, honestly. Basically everything that made him special - strong, fast, aggressive, running at guys, scoring with both feet from distance, is gone. He just sees a solid backline and passes it sideways. And he's not improved on any of his defensive issues - he's not willing to tackle and his not bright enough to get into passing lanes and impact a game - so you can't really play him at CM.

It doesn't make him horrible, he still has some class on the ball, but it's a massive departure from what he was - and he was just flat out exciting as a player before.

The problem is to play like he does you've got to be hitting 20+ G+As to be worthwhile. It's similar to Ozil. When he gets 18 assists or whatever he did his first season the other stuff can be worked around. When he gets 8 it really can't.

Thats possibly true, but to have 11 assists, almost all from open play is very good. When you factor in the goals he scores too we would benefit from having someone like that in our team. I mean in his final season he has more assists than Walcott, Bernard and Sigurdsson combined so far this season, and thats with Sigurdsson on set plays.

Thats possibly true, but to have 11 assists, almost all from open play is very good. When you factor in the goals he scores too we would benefit from having someone like that in our team. I mean in his final season he has more assists than Walcott, Bernard and Sigurdsson combined so far this season, and thats with Sigurdsson on set plays.
That's fine if we are bringing him in as a winger. I don't think that's what are plan would be nor do I think he's the best we could find in that role.

I honestly think it's a mentality thing with him. He can still run. He can still beat guys. He can still shoot when he wants. I personally don't see any physical limitations. But my heavens, watch when he gets the ball inside the final third. So hesitant. Just wants to dwell on it. Pass it sideways. He started doing this stuff if you recall at Everton and it drove Koeman nuts.

The old Ross would've been awesome in the Bernard/Iwobi role here under Carlo. I just think his mentality is gone. I keep saying he thinks he's Pirlo. He wants to sit back and move the ball. He'll take guys on at times still, but rarely in front of goal. He just has no balls anymore, honestly. Basically everything that made him special - strong, fast, aggressive, running at guys, scoring with both feet from distance, is gone. He just sees a solid backline and passes it sideways. And he's not improved on any of his defensive issues - he's not willing to tackle and his not bright enough to get into passing lanes and impact a game - so you can't really play him at CM.

It doesn't make him horrible, he still has some class on the ball, but it's a massive departure from what he was - and he was just flat out exciting as a player before.

So your position is essentially that he has regressed and lost the instinctive side of his game. I think there's perhaps some truth in that, though in fairness he sort of showed that last night.

I think he's had a clutch of managers who in all honesty have probably overcomplicated the game for him. I think there's undoubtedly a move to try and mould players into a Pirlo type player, rather than allowing his to do what comes naturally, which is run forward with the ball.

I always felt that while he was here. As a player picking the ball up, driving at people and looking too get shots off he's as good as anyone. I think his issues come when you try to move him much beyond that. He's good at driving at one direction, at one speed and subtlety really throws him off.

I also happen to agree with you, that playing in a wide midfield position in a 4 probably suits him. In quite a different way to Sigurdsson he is not particularly well suited to a classic number 10 role. He's not intelligent enough to have play go through him and ultimately makes too many mistakes in possession. However playing off the flank would suit him quite well.

My gut feeling on him is that he hasn't regressed, but the system he's being asked to play brings out his contradictions and flaws more than it did at Everton. Under a more pragmatic coach I think he could be quite dangerous and he seems to be over some of his injuries. I'm not saying we throw a load of cash at him, but if a loan was available I'd be very open to that. I think he'd give us more end product than any of Walcott, Sigurdsson or Bernard currently occupying those roles.

That's fine if we are bringing him in as a winger. I don't think that's what are plan would be nor do I think he's the best we could find in that role.

Well no perhaps not. There may be better out there. I think he's potentially as good as we can attract at present, Europe may see things differently. I understand if people haven't forgiven him. Thats a different debate and I fully respect people who say after his decisions they wouldn't want him back. It's not my take, but I can fully appreciate and respect such a position. What I can't get along with though is that he's not a potential upgrade for us.

So your position is essentially that he has regressed and lost the instinctive side of his game. I think there's perhaps some truth in that, though in fairness he sort of showed that last night.

I think he's had a clutch of managers who in all honesty have probably overcomplicated the game for him. I think there's undoubtedly a move to try and mould players into a Pirlo type player, rather than allowing his to do what comes naturally, which is run forward with the ball.

I always felt that while he was here. As a player picking the ball up, driving at people and looking too get shots off he's as good as anyone. I think his issues come when you try to move him much beyond that. He's good at driving at one direction, at one speed and subtlety really throws him off.

I also happen to agree with you, that playing in a wide midfield position in a 4 probably suits him. In quite a different way to Sigurdsson he is not particularly well suited to a classic number 10 role. He's not intelligent enough to have play go through him and ultimately makes too many mistakes in possession. However playing off the flank would suit him quite well.

My gut feeling on him is that he hasn't regressed, but the system he's being asked to play brings out his contradictions and flaws more than it did at Everton. Under a more pragmatic coach I think he could be quite dangerous and he seems to be over some of his injuries. I'm not saying we throw a load of cash at him, but if a loan was available I'd be very open to that. I think he'd give us more end product than any of Walcott, Sigurdsson or Bernard currently occupying those roles.
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the managers, I think it has to do with him.

I also don't see any evidence that he'd give us more end product than Iwobi or Bernard. None. Definitely not Iwobi, who has fantastic creation numbers from open play during most of his time in the PL. I know he's everyone's whipping boy, but once he settles down and gets fully fit and in sync with everyone, he'll be great.

Sigurdsson just needs moved and I think he will be this summer.

Well no perhaps not. There may be better out there. I think he's potentially as good as we can attract at present, Europe may see things differently. I understand if people haven't forgiven him. Thats a different debate and I fully respect people who say after his decisions they wouldn't want him back. It's not my take, but I can fully appreciate and respect such a position. What I can't get along with though is that he's not a potential upgrade for us.
Potential is the key word. He can't play in a midfield two and especially can't do it with Andre Gomes so unless we are revamping the system he isn't an option there. Which means you're banking on a player with limited experience as a winger being a good winger (even if he's drifting inside a lot it is different starting wide).

I look at guys like Sarr, Trossard and Jota who can come into the league and be pretty solid right away as a sign that we can do it too. I'd love bringing in Grealish or Sarr but that's probably more money than we can spend. Abroad there are plenty of guys waiting to emerge and we just need to find the right one.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the managers, I think it has to do with him.

I also don't see any evidence that he'd give us more end product than Iwobi or Bernard. None. Definitely not Iwobi, who has fantastic creation numbers from open play during most of his time in the PL. I know he's everyone's whipping boy, but once he settles down and gets fully fit and in sync with everyone, he'll be great.

Sigurdsson just needs moved and I think he will be this summer.

No fair points, and I like Iwobi too and think he will come good for us. In fact I've even defended Sigurdsson!

However I'll give you a stat. I've used the "creativity" score generated by the FPL game. I know it's imperfect but I believe they use OPTA to help generate those numbers. In terms of creativity points per minute, he's miles ahead of all 3 on his last season with Everton (and Walcott and Richarlinson as well). He's 0.43 creativity points per minute. Iwobi is 0.24, Bernard 0.29 & 0.27, Walcott 0.21 & 0.16. Sigurdsson is 0.35, 0.35 & 0.27 (but he is on set pieces which makes a big difference). So Barkley is well ahead.

He's even ahead at Chelsea as well, this season he's averaging 0.32. So only Sigurdsson is better and if you removed set pieces he would be well behind.

It's one measure and it's not everything, but if we got the Barkley back who left us in his final season I think he'd be more creative than any of our players this season have been.

Potential is the key word. He can't play in a midfield two and especially can't do it with Andre Gomes so unless we are revamping the system he isn't an option there. Which means you're banking on a player with limited experience as a winger being a good winger (even if he's drifting inside a lot it is different starting wide).

I look at guys like Sarr, Trossard and Jota who can come into the league and be pretty solid right away as a sign that we can do it too. I'd love bringing in Grealish or Sarr but that's probably more money than we can spend. Abroad there are plenty of guys waiting to emerge and we just need to find the right one.

I don't think it's completely left field though, as he played off the right in his final season here. I'd go as far as to say he'd suit playing either side in a midfield 4.

I like Sarr and Jota but both would could substantially more than Barkley. Trossard to me has flattered to deceive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back