Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is the u23s should be playing the very same system as the first team. Same formation, same style of football etc..
U23s should mean if a player steps up he is comfortable with the first team system.
It's not about winning their league.

Agree here, feel like Unsworth is more bothered about career progression at Everton.

Honestly I don’t care if we win that just have them playing football that will see an easy transition to the first team.

Yes but the point still stands that when these players are handed over to the first team they make a huge impact and are good enough to keep getting selected by multiple different managers. Yet their performances started declining once in first team training. Why should Unsworth take the blame for that?
I think we over hype and get over excited by our academy graduates in the hope we want them to do well So when you say they were good when they burst on the scene and their decline is due to managerial changes, we’re they ever good enough? Or do we see their performances as ‘he’s a local lad give him time’ hence why Davies has over a hundred games for us and has probably played well in no more than 20.
Kenny not good enough
Davies not good enough
Luke Garbett not good enough
Pennington not good enough
And many many others

Gordon looks promising but it’s still early.
Look at other clubs academy graduates
Rashford
Greenwood
Mason Mount
Reece James
Trent from over the park!
They’re all streets ahead of any of ours

Not sure why Unsworth gets such a bad press on here. Barkley looked potent when he came out of the academy. So did Davies. Gordon is currently looking very good. Maybe the problem is the first team training which just seems to take all aggression away from any player.
There's a lot of truth in this. The academy can only put people in a position where they can be selected for the first team, and ours does a pretty decent job of that. The players not making a sufficient impression once they get there can hardly be pinned on the academy.

I think we over hype and get over excited by our academy graduates in the hope we want them to do well So when you say they were good when they burst on the scene and their decline is due to managerial changes, we’re they ever good enough? Or do we see their performances as ‘he’s a local lad give him time’ hence why Davies has over a hundred games for us and has probably played well in no more than 20.
Kenny not good enough
Davies not good enough
And many many others

Rashford
Greenwood
Mason Mount
Reece James
There's also a lot of truth in this. I've said for years, every time a young lad comes in and does OK for a couple of games you get people penciling them in as a starter for the next 10 years and then complaining that they've gone backwards when they don't turn into a star. I remember people saying Galloway was world class and genuinely touting an 18 year old Tom Davies for England because he looked like a vaguely competent midfielder for about 2 months. It's crazy.

Kenny not good enough
Davies not good enough
And many many others

Rashford
Greenwood
Mason Mount
Reece James

But those names (mainly) are top top prospects.

I don't understand the argument that our academy must be flawed just because generational talent is coming through elsewhere.

Everyone wants a local youngster coming through and making it in the prem but its just not that realistic.

United have a pretty good track record for it, but Chelsea were famous for not having anyone come through for years. I'm struggling to remember a young Liverpool player coming through and making it since Owen / Gerrard.

If the talent is there, it will make it. Of course they have to be trained properly, but nobody gives any actual evidence for Unsworth not training them properly, they just say 'that fat carthorse is useless, we havent had a youngster come through in a while'

Rashford
Greenwood
Mason Mount
Reece James
I get what you mean, but you can look at the other side too...

Look at Liverpool... before Alexander-Arnold, who was the last top class youngster that came through for them? Might genuinely have been Gerrard.

AKA since Liverpool last had a top class youngster come through, we produced Man Utd and England's top goalscorer, a midfielder who was at one point was probably worth £30-40m, a right back who made over 300 first team appearances, and completed the development an acquired young centre back who was sold to the best team in the country for £50m

Thing is the u23s should be playing the very same system as the first team. Same formation, same style of football etc..
U23s should mean if a player steps up he is comfortable with the first team system.
It's not about winning their league.
I agree. Kind of. But not sure that goes regardless of how the first team plays.

Ralph Hasenhüttl spent the lockdown documenting how Southampton teams shall train and play. Creating a manual meant for all the teams throughout the club. 4-2-2-2, high intensity, high press, playing out from the back etc. Very much in tune with how the modern game has developed the last few years. And when he one day is replaced as manager, it will be fairly easy to recruit a manager who wants to play the same style of football.

In the top leagues managers are in average replaced after 1,8 year. Ancelotti has in his five previous manager jobs been replaced after 18-24 months. We might all hope for Ancelotti to be Everton manager on the sideline of big Champions League nights in a new stadium at the Bramley-Moore Dock. It is extremely unlikely.

It is just as unlikely that the next Everton manager will share Carlos ideas, play the same formation and play same style of football. I mean, who would you go for if both Dyche and Hodgson say no?

In addition I am not sure it will be sound financially to let the academy develop 4-4-2 players. And finding good loan opportunities in the Championship would be even harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back