Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if someone said they didn't like Schneiderlein because of his character amongst others you would discount anything else they said even tho his character was in full view for all to see(and he made quotes stating as such recently as well)?
Schneiderlin was still never as bad for us as people made out because of how much they despised the perceived lack of desire (even if it was true) so I'd still say if you can't put that to one side it is hard to have a discussion about actual ability.

And yes desire matters, but as I've seen in the Iwobi thread it is a way for people to go further to disparage players they don't like more often than an actual problem.

If we’re signing Allan, Doucoure & Rodriguez, none of them will come here to sit on the bench.

We already have Davies, Sigurdsson, Delph, Gomes, Gbamin & Besic so surely a few of these are fairly close to leaving?

Schneiderlin was still never as bad for us as people made out because of how much they despised the perceived lack of desire (even if it was true) so I'd still say if you can't put that to one side it is hard to have a discussion about actual ability.

And yes desire matters, but as I've seen in the Iwobi thread it is a way for people to go further to disparage players they don't like more often than an actual problem.
Fair enough, but when character is part of the flaw in their game, could you not say that is something that shouldn't be discounted entirely? Danny Rose hates playing football but at least pretends to. And I'm not saying I think that Keane has no heart or whatever. Just that character is what separates the people who care about what they do versus the ones who are simply there to round out the numbers and a paycheck.

If we’re signing Allan, Doucoure & Rodriguez, none of them will come here to sit on the bench.

We already have Davies, Sigurdsson, Delph, Gomes, Gbamin & Besic so surely a few of these are fairly close to leaving?
Besic and Sigurdsson are probably the two. The rest are worth keeping until Gbamin is healthy but maybe someone gets shipped in January.

Fair enough, but when character is part of the flaw in their game, could you not say that is something that shouldn't be discounted entirely? Danny Rose hates playing football but at least pretends to. And I'm not saying I think that Keane has no heart or whatever. Just that character is what separates the people who care about what they do versus the ones who are simply there to round out the numbers and a paycheck.
It matters but it is also tough for people to not go over the top when they decide they think someone doesn't care or whatever so it becomes tough to really talk about.

Rose is a great example because he could be a useful backup here but I'm sure because of that attitude he has a good portion of Everton fans would be absolutely livid about it and unable to really acknowledge that he's actually pretty decent.

It matters but it is also tough for people to not go over the top when they decide they think someone doesn't care or whatever so it becomes tough to really talk about.

Rose is a great example because he could be a useful backup here but I'm sure because of that attitude he has a good portion of Everton fans would be absolutely livid about it and unable to really acknowledge that he's actually pretty decent.
I agree with both points. It's a mountain to get over and speak rationally about someone that you perceive doesn't give a toss about what they are doing. At least Rose is upfront about it. Caveat emptor or so the saying goes.

It all depends on the type of market and a number of other factors, but yes it can be that little although it doesn't meant it will be such a small amount.

Betting on football transfers and whether a manager will be sacked et al., where a lot of people could have bona fide inside knowledge, have quick moving markets.

It's not like a football game with thousands of scenarios and how sports play out, so if say Allan was signing and a few people put money on it could mean it's a cert.

If they don't act quickly, people could easily make a lot of money on them and the last thing they'll want to do is close the market; much shorter odds does the trick.

Thats all true. I have bet on niche markets before (constiteuncy betting at a general election), nothing major 2-300 quid per one. It didn't collapse the odds in that way.

I don't read too much into betting if it' round evens. You see a lot of people whon will now say City are favourites, at about evens to sign Messi. It's a long shot.

1/8 and more pertinently 1/20 is very short though. It's qualitatively shorter. When you factor in the bookies margin, and nobody else seem to be running a book apart from Skybet on each it is relatively compelling evidence at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back