Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant forgive him with what he did to us - that medical, he and Chelsea conspired against us, cost us 10 of millions in my opinion mate, left a real bad taste after all the club did for him.

On the lad as a player i agree, i always thought Martinez was the worst thing to happen to his development and have in my opinion and tole he was phenomenal and "world class" most weeks. He never became the rounded player he should and learned the hard work, dig deep, battling and dirty side of the game to give him a balanced skill set. To be fair to Koeman i think he tired to give him a boot, in that direction but ross took his bat and ball home. A good player who could have been a great once in generation player had all the talent.

I would agree re Martinez, but ultimately he's had multiple managers since then and not done much. In the end you have to put the onus and responsibility onto the player themselves.

Being very kind to the lad, i dont think he had the "menatility", to really fulfill his talent. Huge pity.

The thing for me with Ross, is I don't think he's improved since he broke through in Martinez's first season at the age of about 19. It's Tom Davies all over again. Except I do think Ross was a more talented player. It's not inevitable players improve enormously, but you would expect some improvement. You just don't see any.

You could make a case the first season under Koeman was better, I mean he was a different type of player. But essentially he peaked at 19.

The thing for me with Ross, is I don't think he's improved since he broke through in Martinez's first season at the age of about 19. It's Tom Davies all over again. Except I do think Ross was a more talented player. It's not inevitable players improve enormously, but you would expect some improvement. You just don't see any.

You could make a case the first season under Koeman was better, I mean he was a different type of player. But essentially he peaked at 19.

Its a fair point, when he broke through he was England's next big talent, he wasn't given much responsibility by Martinez and he became lazy in my opinion and lacked responsibility, tracking back, supporting and the defensive side of the game, im not saying he should be a six, but if you look at someone like KDB he puts in a massive defensive shift to support the team for an offensive midfielder, that is the standard, Ross never got there, though he was very very talented. The Martinez time was a critical time for me. Its a huge pity he didn't get 2-3 years under Moyes who would have demanded that. I think he developed a bad ego to young and his actions toward us a club would indicate that.

Since his move (it was a massively poor move) hes had limited minutes, very few full games and about a third of PL mins mostly as a sub, those years he should have been playing week in week out out and improving, hes 27 is a couple of months and almost at his appex, he could have been World Class, but for his "mentality" and subsequent decision making, there are a few contributory of factors really. its a massive pity really.

Last edited:

I cant forgive him with what he did to us - that medical, he and Chelsea conspired against us, cost us 10s of millions in my opinion mate, left a real bad taste after all the club did for him.

On the lad as a player i agree, i always thought Martinez was the worst thing to happen to his development in my opinion and being told he was "phenomenal" and "world class" most weeks created a bad ego to young. He never became the rounded player he should have and learned the hard work, responsibility, digging deep, battling and dirty side of the game to give him a balanced skill set. To be fair to Koeman i think he tried to give him a boot, in that direction but Ross took his bat and ball home. A good player who could have been a great once in generation player, had all the talent.

And now apparently Lampard is not that bothered about him.

But yes, I agree. He just seems to be lacking in intelligence. Some people are intelligent. Some are not!

...this is all going off topic a bit, but whilst we’ll never see Barkley on University Challenge, football intelligence is a little different. I’ve never been a fan of Barkley but I think this is a decent move for him and for Villa. I can particularly see him linking well with Grealish.

I loved him here but was so frustrating, hope he does well at Villa but i would expect it will be more of the same.

However if their manager asks him to play number 10 i think he will be a great signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back