Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, you will have all the costs associated with selling a player and then all the costs in buying a player to end up with arguably an inferior player and some money left over.
You're freeing up 40k a week in wages or so and getting a 10m to 15m fee. That's a pretty useful amount of money. I'm more worried about the amount of time and effort the whole thing would take for small improvement at best.

But ambition as you mentioned before isn't having Bernard play 30 games again next year.

The only scenario I want Fraser is to replace Bernard as that would be a net gain that would keep the squad a similar level. The freed up cash could then be put into actually good players.
But we have iwobi and Gordon and also Richarlison who can play down the left. If we sell Bernard why waste the money on Average.

He would want a singing on fee as a free agent, they say it’s tge same as a yearly salary. So say he’s on 80k that’s 4mil plus a 4 year deal, so that whole package could be 20mil, that’s money that could go towards a top class wide player.

But we have iwobi and Gordon and also Richarlison who can play down the left. If we sell Bernard why waste the money on Average.

He would want a singing on fee as agent, they say it’s tge same as a yearly salary. So say he’s on 80k that’s 4mil plus a 4 year deal, so that whole package could be 20mil, that’s money that could go towards a top class wide player.
I'm fine with that. We can't play Richarlison wide in a 4-4-2 though. That's a total waste. He is a forward and should only play wide in a system where he is playing like a forward still.

If the season had continued I'd be banging the drum to give Gordon minutes like I did for Lookman last year. We need to stop wasting time with nothing players and try to develop the youth. DCL and Holgate only hit their stride after years of up and down play. But the key is they kept playing.

Almost definitely there will be a loyalty bonus to be paid to Bernard and his agent will have to be paid. Fraser will get a signing on fee and his agent will have to be paid.
If it was to sign a better younger player I could see the reasoning but this would be monopoly football imo.

I'm fine with that. We can't play Richarlison wide in a 4-4-2 though. That's a total waste. He is a forward and should only play wide in a system where he is playing like a forward still.

If the season had continued I'd be banging the drum to give Gordon minutes like I did for Lookman last year. We need to stop wasting time with nothing players and try to develop the youth. DCL and Holgate only hit their stride after years of up and down play. But the key is they kept playing.
Yes I agree about Richarlison playing through the middle, my point was he’s always an option to have out wide . And even Ancelotti moved him wide late in a few games to bring on another striker

But are the young players good enough. There was a clamour for Lookman twelve months ago. He has done nothing since to show the manager was wrong to leave him out.
I think Gordon will be sent out on loan next season so that he can play every week.
The loan for JJKenny has worked well, it has given him experience and increased value for us to keep him or sell

But are the young players good enough. There was a clamour for Lookman twelve months ago. He has done nothing since to show the manager was wrong to leave him out.
I think Gordon will be sent out on loan next season so that he can play every week.
The loan for JJKenny has worked well, it has given him experience and increased value for us to keep him or sell
The older players are often not good enough either. That's my whole problem with it. Guys like Bernard, Keane and Sidibe get all the minutes but they aren't good enough and unlike some of the younger guys there is no chance they ever will be!

Again look at Calvert-Lewin. Last year he was not great, and we easily could have played Tosun or Niasse all season while saying "well he needs to play better to earn minutes" or "he should show more in training" and we would be way worse off if we took that approach. You have to trust these guys to figure it out to an extent. It won't happen overnight but there's a long term payoff and that's our most open path to being competitive.

The older players are often not good enough either. That's my whole problem with it. Guys like Bernard, Keane and Sidibe get all the minutes but they aren't good enough and unlike some of the younger guys there is no chance they ever will be!

Again look at Calvert-Lewin. Last year he was not great, and we easily could have played Tosun or Niasse all season while saying "well he needs to play better to earn minutes" or "he should show more in training" and we would be way worse off if we took that approach. You have to trust these guys to figure it out to an extent. It won't happen overnight but there's a long term payoff and that's our most open path to being competitive.
DCL was lucky we didn’t sign a top striker. And got his chance, he still needs to improve, to justify he’s good enough for a team that hopefully will challenge for the champions league spots.

Holgate the same, with us not signing Zouma, gave him his chance.

Tom Davies has had plenty though and not took them, so should be moved on imo.

DCL was lucky we didn’t sign a top striker. And got his chance, he still needs to improve, to justify he’s good enough for a team that hopefully will challenge for the champions league spots.

Holgate the same, with us not signing Zouma, gave him his chance.

Tom Davies has had plenty though and not took them, so should be moved on imo.
I agree on Davies but the key is he's played enough for us to actually make that choice.

DCL is borderline CL level right now. He's at least as good as Abraham for example whose team is likely to play CL football. He's the least of our issues and the idea that is still floated that we need a striker is off base.

This is the key for me though. There's a reason why we didn't do that, and it's because the coaches believed in him and thought he would come good, which he has. When the coaches don't appear to rate somebody - like Lookman - i'm generally content to believe that it's because they don't have the same faith. Youth development rarely comes down to just throwing someone in and seeing how they do, which is what people often advocate.

This is the key for me though. There's a reason why we didn't do that, and it's because the coaches believed in him and thought he would come good, which he has. When the coaches don't appear to rate somebody - like Lookman - i'm generally content to believe that it's because they don't have the same faith. Youth development rarely comes down to just throwing someone in and seeing how they do, which is what people often advocate.
But at the same time there is a point where the player has to play or you'll never know. Gordon is the current example. He's good enough to play with the squad and get tossed in because Bernard is having a shocker, so there is some faith there, but without playing matches he's going to stall out and we will never get him to his highest potential. As I said everyone likes to take the they should do more in training and they should earn it viewpoint but what exactly do the more senior players do to keep playing every single game even when they aren't good enough?

My opinion only, but this club never wins another trophy until it starts consistently growing players that are high potential guys aged 18-23 into top players. We've started with Richarlison and DCL, but that needs to become the normal course of business for us to ever compete again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back