Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hojbjerg would be such a David Moyes type of signing imo. Safe bet for someone who could probably do a job and improve our midfield, but not someone who would be of any help of breaking through that very self comforting glass ceiling. Desperately hope we've moved on from that now.
He’s not a world beater but I think he’d be a decent signing personally. He’d certainly be nothing like a Moyes signing, I would guess even in the last year of his contract he’d cost more than Moyes ever paid for anybody.

My main issue if we sign him would be that he’d be yet another fairly obvious signing. When Brands came in we were all excited that he was going to be unearthing gems that we’d never heard of, but the reality is we just seem to pay £20m+ for the same type of player we’ve being buying for years. Either players who haven’t quite made it at the top clubs or the best players at clubs below us who aren’t good enough for the ones above us.

He’s not a world beater but I think he’d be a decent signing personally. He’d certainly be nothing like a Moyes signing, I would guess even in the last year of his contract he’d cost more than Moyes ever paid for anybody.

My main issue if we sign him would be that he’d be yet another fairly obvious signing. When Brands came in we were all excited that he was going to be unearthing gems that we’d never heard of, but the reality is we just seem to pay £20m+ for the same type of player we’ve being buying for years. Either players who haven’t quite made it at the top clubs or the best players at clubs below us who aren’t good enough for the ones above us.
Think we pretty much agree, but maybe I've just worded it wrong/differently.

He might be a decent player, but not someone to take us to that next level that we seem to be aiming at.

Think we pretty much agree, but maybe I've just worded it wrong/differently.

He might be a decent player, but not someone to take us to that next level that we seem to be aiming at.
Yeah sorry I was going to edit my post because I maybe worded it badly too. He’s probably the type of player Moyes would have signed, but whereas he might have paid £5m for someone like him we’re looking at paying £20m. I’m not saying that Moyes was amazing here, but we genuinely seem to have lost the ability to find value in the market and that’s something he could definitely do.

Yeah sorry I was going to edit my post because I maybe worded it badly too. He’s probably the type of player Moyes would have signed, but whereas he might have paid £5m for someone like him we’re looking at paying £20m. I’m not saying that Moyes was amazing here, but we genuinely seem to have lost the ability to find value in the market and that’s something he could definitely do.
Oh definitely. I'm not as anti Moyes as a lot on here seem to be. Without him, we'd probably have been in a lot worse position. And he definitely had an eye for value in the market. It's just that imo during the 2nd half of his spell here, Everton's lack of money and ambition seemed to be very convenient for him. Apart from Wenger at Arsenal it seemed that he had the safest job in world football to me.

Hojbjerg would be such a David Moyes type of signing imo. Safe bet for someone who could probably do a job and improve our midfield, but not someone who would be of any help of breaking through that very self comforting glass ceiling. Desperately hope we've moved on from that now.

I agree that we should get as good as we can get, and Hojbjerg may be below that. But Moyes had us buying / playing CM’s that were streets ahead of the weak dross that we have right now.

Carsley and Gravesen were way better than any CM we have now, and they’d be more effective as a pair than all five of our central midfielders put together.

The same applies for Fellaini, Neville, Cahill and Osman on an individual level, and in some of their partnerships as well. Even Heitinga was better and he was really a centre half.

I agree that we should get as good as we can get, and Hojbjerg may be below that. But Moyes had us buying / playing CM’s that were streets ahead of the weak dross that we have right now.

Carsley and Gravesen were way better than any CM we have now, and they’d be more effective as a pair than all five of our central midfielders put together.

The same applies for Fellaini, Neville, Cahill and Osman on an individual level, and in some of their partnerships as well. Even Heitinga was better and he was really a centre half.
Not disagreeing there mate. If we had that midfield playing for us this season, we no doubt would be have been a lot higher up in the table. Unbelievable the amount of money that has been thrown away since Moyes left and our current midfield is miles behind that one.

Schnederlin literally played like Vieira at Southampton. Hojberg doesn't look as good as he did. I think we can do better. I hope we can also.

.....it’s difficult when not watching a player regularly, but we have to be careful because a flashy player might not always be the most effective player. I understand Hojbjerg is already skipper at Southampton, so I imagine he’s earned the total respect of teammates and coaches for both his performances and attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back