Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree mate. Gomes isn’t even that good, and is more often poor than decent away from home.

Id say that Gravesen was much better than Gomes in terms of creativity, energy and aggression, and Carsley was in a different league from a defensive perspective.

Gomes will be benched if we are lucky enough to get two even remotely decent central midfielders in the summer.

Midfielders in the post Moyes era have been massively overrated. Players like Arteta Cahill Pienaar Osman Carsley were the bed rock of teams consistently finishing top 6 and qualifying for Europe. Since then players like Barry Gueye Siggurdson and now Gomes have been hyped up as fantastic midfielders at one point or another yet have been parts of sides that have failed abysmally.

Gomes has got talent but he hasn’t shown any consistency yet. He’s better than anything else we have but he’s against what I would consider as two of the worst midfielders in Everton history in Schneiderlin and Siggurdson. The reality is though that he probably wouldn’t get in Moyes’ best team as he wouldn’t get near what Arteta was at his peak. Until we have players like Cahill and Arteta again who are turning up 8 out of 10 matches and dominating/winning games then we won’t progress at all. Gomes is probably the only current midfielder I’d keep (too early to say on Gbamin) but we need to be buying better than him so he’s not just guaranteed to walk in the team every week because he knows he’s better with one leg than Schneiderlin or Siggurdson.

Midfielders in the post Moyes era have been massively overrated. Players like Arteta Cahill Pienaar Osman Carsley were the bed rock of teams consistently finishing top 6 and qualifying for Europe. Since then players like Barry Gueye Siggurdson and now Gomes have been hyped up as fantastic midfielders at one point or another yet have been parts of sides that have failed abysmally.

Gomes has got talent but he hasn’t shown any consistency yet. He’s better than anything else we have but he’s against what I would consider as two of the worst midfielders in Everton history in Schneiderlin and Siggurdson. The reality is though that he probably wouldn’t get in Moyes’ best team as he wouldn’t get near what Arteta was at his peak. Until we have players like Cahill and Arteta again who are turning up 8 out of 10 matches and dominating/winning games then we won’t progress at all. Gomes is probably the only current midfielder I’d keep (too early to say on Gbamin) but we need to be buying better than him so he’s not just guaranteed to walk in the team every week because he knows he’s better with one leg than Schneiderlin or Siggurdson.

The one thing Gomes brings the others don't is he has done it in big games. His issue is, he doesn't replicate it enough against the rest.

Fully agree. I can’t believe I forgot to mention Arteta, who was by far the best of the lot.

Our current central midfield is the absolute worst it has been for decades, Gomes or no Gomes. It gets overrun all the time, and can’t create anything to save its life.

Please dont include Gana in the list of overhyped players. He was fantastic for us and we have desperately, DESPERATELY, missed him. He moved to PSG which nobody has any complaints about. I get the point, and for the most part your rihgt, but please Gana was unreal.

Barry was an excellent player for us as well even with his age and lack of pace. Unfortunately our manager at the time wasted what was a relatively talented squad after his opening season.

Please dont include Gana in the list of overhyped players. He was fantastic for us and we have desperately, DESPERATELY, missed him. He moved to PSG which nobody has any complaints about. I get the point, and for the most part your rihgt, but please Gana was unreal.

Barry was an excellent player for us as well even with his age and lack of pace. Unfortunately our manager at the time wasted what was a relatively talented squad after his opening season.

Gana was not unreal. He had a very good half season with us after the PSG interest, before that he had some very good games but also some very average ones. Countless games he was sloppy in possession, made silly tackles in dangerous positions and got waltzed around by opposition players (Coutinho at Anfield comes to mind). He was not an unreal midfielder for us by any definition of the word.

Out of curiosity who was the last player we signed that wasn’t out of contract before the official transfer window opened

I always think this, very rare that deals are annoucned before the window (one or two maybe a window?)

Although I do believe plenty of deals are done mid-season just not announced.

Gana was not unreal. He had a very good half season with us after the PSG interest, before that he had some very good games but also some very average ones. Countless games he was sloppy in possession, made silly tackles in dangerous positions and got waltzed around by opposition players (Coutinho at Anfield comes to mind). He was not an unreal midfielder for us by any definition of the word.

So you think Gana had only a good half season? Okay buddy.

i can’t find the Denzel Dumfries links which is heartbreaking because i remember when Brands first came in he was one of the players linked to come with him

i picked him up on the cheap on fifa and he was boss and then whenever i could remember and was bored enough to watch the dutch league highlights, i would obviously watch Ajax and then check him out when PSV came on

I would have him in a heartbeat

Obligatory Highlight Reel

I mean, I suppose the fact that PSG had been interested in the first place would suggest he must have been playing pretty well before that when you think about it?
If having good games at Anfield is your criteria of whether someone’s any good then what on earth is Arteta doing on your list? Captain Hook could count the amount of games he affected there on one hand.

Please let me know which 3 games you watched to come up with this absolute pile of garbage. I just want to understand.

I seen quite a bit of schnederlin he was brilliant, box to box , great passing wasn't flashy just got the job done. Havent seen as much of hojberg but 'leaders' from Lower clubs don't seem to be doing us much good lately with special reference to Sigurdsson. I guess we ll see though.

I remember saying that we'd bought united/England's captain, swansea's captain, burnley and ajax's captains so we should have more leadership... We ended up with no backbone still

Hopefully we stop buying utter crap from mid table sides
Where would you suggest we buy our 'utter crap' from then?

Those coming from below us are undertalented, those coming from above are massively overpriced and not much better than what we have.
Those coming in from abroad are a massive gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back