Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....it’s difficult when not watching a player regularly, but we have to be careful because a flashy player might not always be the most effective player. I understand Hojbjerg is already skipper at Southampton, so I imagine he’s earned the total respect of teammates and coaches for both his performances and attitude.
Spot on Eggs, despite the scorn for him on here, Henderson has been an ever present in a team that only just got pipped last season and have waltzed the league his season. Sometimes you only appreciate a player when you seem him week in week out. I for one never realised quite how good Paul Power was until he joined us, ditto Gareth Barry (but to a lesser extent).

I agree that we should get as good as we can get, and Hojbjerg may be below that. But Moyes had us buying / playing CM’s that were streets ahead of the weak dross that we have right now.

Carsley and Gravesen were way better than any CM we have now, and they’d be more effective as a pair than all five of our central midfielders put together.

The same applies for Fellaini, Neville, Cahill and Osman on an individual level, and in some of their partnerships as well. Even Heitinga was better and he was really a centre half.
Lee Carsley was absolutely not better than Andre Gomes. Nor was Tommy. What they were though was part of a well drilled team where everyone knew their roles.

We've had 4 managers in what, 3 years?

Lee Carsley was absolutely not better than Andre Gomes. Nor was Tommy. What they were though was part of a well drilled team where everyone knew their roles.

....that’s a bit like comparing apples with pears. Carsley had a very specific role in the team, sitting in front of the back four with real discipline. It was a role that meant he didn’t cover a lot of ground but it meant he was able to play every game.

He didn’t have the flare or ability of Gomes but we’ve struggled to find somebody as effective as Carsley in that role.

Can’t really tell you much about hojberg. He’s never really stood out for me whenever I’ve seen southampton play, he’s maybe one of those players who does a lot of ‘unseen work’ off the ball. But if it’s Ancelotti who wants him, then who are we to argue.

Hojbjerg is certainly the type of player we need but I don't know just how good he can become.

I expect we were having the same discussion when we signed Gana from Villa.

When you look at Jordan Henderson playing for our neighbours it makes you realise just how important players like this are to a team and sometimes it takes a few years for them to reach their peak

I don't think we will be spending tens of millions of pounds this summer, I think very few will, this may be a worthwhile and yet affordable transfer.

I respectfully disagree mate. Gomes isn’t even that good, and is more often poor than decent away from home.

Id say that Gravesen was much better than Gomes in terms of creativity, energy and aggression, and Carsley was in a different league from a defensive perspective.

Gomes will be benched if we are lucky enough to get two even remotely decent central midfielders in the summer.

.....it’s difficult when not watching a player regularly, but we have to be careful because a flashy player might not always be the most effective player. I understand Hojbjerg is already skipper at Southampton, so I imagine he’s earned the total respect of teammates and coaches for both his performances and attitude.
I seen quite a bit of schnederlin he was brilliant, box to box , great passing wasn't flashy just got the job done. Havent seen as much of hojberg but 'leaders' from Lower clubs don't seem to be doing us much good lately with special reference to Sigurdsson. I guess we ll see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back