Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you wouldn’t give someone a medical 4 months before they can sign? What would be the point? His leg could have fallen off in that time.

He can sign anytime. Look at Ziyech..paperwork medical the lot can be done whenever. Just can’t transfer registration out of the windows.

Even if there isn't money to burn, my hope is that the club is at least in a position to capitalise when a high-quality player is on the market at a point in their career where, for whatever reason, the top sides aren't prepared to pull the trigger on buying them. A recent example could be Bruno Fernandes, who was desperate to leave Sporting in August, and perhaps might have been persuaded to make a smaller step up once United and Tottenham balked at the asking price. To me, this has a higher potential upside than the current model of targeting players who have already shown themselves incapable of hacking it at the elite level, and I'm encouraged by the fact that we've recently seen the managerial equivalent of punching above our weight with Ancelotti.

Everton will never be 'back' until they can offer regular Champions League football, not only to players, but also sponsors, and that won't be possible without the kind of talent whose presence alone is enough to lift his teammates (eg Modric and Bale at Tottenham, Suarez at Liverpool or Silva at City). No one has had anything like that kind of impact here since Kanchelskis, and he even he only gave us his best for a criminally short amount of time (probably more comparable to Payet at West Ham than those previously mentioned).

Also, there must surely be some concern among the directors about the scouting in general. There has been something fundamentally wrong with Everton's recruitment since the Martinez regime began to unravel, and I'm not at all convinced that Brands is the man to sort this mess out. If the plan is to plug gaps with Fraser-types while hoping to rehabilitate more Barcelona rejects, I would be amazed to see this team close the gap on Wolves and Leicester, never mind Chelsea and United.

Agree with all of this.

No doubt the task is immensely difficult but a continuation of the strategy that has been known to fail will just result in more of the same.

To progress, we will actually have to take risks in the market and that involves being first to what we regard as the best emerging talent rather than shelling out £30m on an established but inherently limited player like Iwobi.

If we were to sign a player for £50m - and I cant see it happening in the current climate - being in the position we are in we would vastly overpay again.

Our issue is that due to the failure of transfer policy since 2014, we approach every summer needing a shed load of players.

Let's distill our approach, make 2-3 signings that absolutely have potential and we can get good value on - but not more Sigurdssons, Schneiderlins etc.

Spurs showed the model for us to follow - we have to buy younger and cheaper but we need players with good technical ability and not just buying rejects and players to fill holes.

He can sign anytime. Look at Ziyech..paperwork medical the lot can be done whenever. Just can’t transfer registration out of the windows.
Did Chelsea do this with ziyech? And pulisic coming to think of it
Yeah I get that, but they actually signed him, that’s a different thing. This seems to suggest we gave him a medical in February but weren’t signing him until the summer, that would make no sense.

Agree with all of this.

No doubt the task is immensely difficult but a continuation of the strategy that has been known to fail will just result in more of the same.

To progress, we will actually have to take risks in the market and that involves being first to what we regard as the best emerging talent rather than shelling out £30m on an established but inherently limited player like Iwobi.

If we were to sign a player for £50m - and I cant see it happening in the current climate - being in the position we are in we would vastly overpay again.

Our issue is that due to the failure of transfer policy since 2014, we approach every summer needing a shed load of players.

Let's distill our approach, make 2-3 signings that absolutely have potential and we can get good value on - but not more Sigurdssons, Schneiderlins etc.

Spurs showed the model for us to follow - we have to buy younger and cheaper but we need players with good technical ability and not just buying rejects and players to fill holes.

Isn't this what we used to do, back when moyes was manager, buy young and sell on, before we had money? Albeit the economics kind of made us behave in this way.

Isn't this what we used to do, back when moyes was manager, buy young and sell on, before we had money? Albeit the economics kind of made us behave in this way.

It is and I think the amount of finance we have to play with every summer relative to the big six gets overplayed year on year.

It seems to me we have Budget X for players and then try to do too much with it, meaning the potential / quality of what we get in is diluted, we overpay relatively, and the cycle starts all over again.

I'd much rather putting all our resources into two positions each summer rather than six.

We have to keep buying younger players more often than not, and get them to pay for themselves and try to make profit and reinvest.

Let's then supplement that with a signing in January and making sure we make the best use of loans and bosmans.

It is and I think the amount of finance we have to play with every summer relative to the big six gets overplayed year on year.

It seems to me we have Budget X for players and then try to do too much with it, meaning the potential / quality of what we get in is diluted, we overpay relatively, and the cycle starts all over again.

I'd much rather putting all our resources into two positions each summer rather than six.

We have to keep buying younger players more often than not, and get them to pay for themselves and try to make profit and reinvest.

Let's then supplement that with a signing in January and making sure we make the best use of loans and bosmans.
Obviously FFP is an issue this summer and maybe next.
Also covid has effected us. Like all teams.

But I keep banging the drum, that why employ Ancelotti pay him and his team a fortune. To give him young players and then sell the best ones on. We may as well have kept Duncan for 2yrs while all the old players
On huge wages leave and re-group in 2yrs.

I’m not sure Ancelotti will be happy if we sell our best player next summer and then give give him 3x 25mil kids.

Obviously FFP is an issue this summer and maybe next.
Also covid has effected us. Like all teams.

But I keep banging the drum, that why employ Ancelotti pay him and his team a fortune. To give him young players and then sell the best ones on. We may as well have kept Duncan for 2yrs while all the old players
On huge wages leave and re-group in 2yrs.

I’m not sure Ancelotti will be happy if we sell our best player next summer and then give give him 3x 25mil kids.

But we are not going to sign anyone in the true top bracket. There are enough clubs both here and abroad with the money and the appeal so that's out.

It's not about signing kids, its about making the right choices within a model that we can afford and is self-sustaining.

Last summers business is proving to be wrong in almost every respect.

Ancelotti has a three year contract - I doubt he personally thinks he can overturn 30 years of history and make us Champions League regulars in that time.

I'd much rather steady improvement over the period of his contract and then see if he is up for another three years.

Ideally we won't sell our best players if we are seen to be improving. But the more "better" players we get in, the more we can absorb selling one against our wishes.

But we are not going to sign anyone in the true top bracket. There are enough clubs both here and abroad with the money and the appeal so that's out.

It's not about signing kids, its about making the right choices within a model that we can afford and is self-sustaining.

Last summers business is proving to be wrong in almost every respect.

Ancelotti has a three year contract - I doubt he personally thinks he can overturn 30 years of history and make us Champions League regulars in that time.

I'd much rather steady improvement over the period of his contract and then see if he is up for another three years.

Ideally we won't sell our best players if we are seen to be improving. But the more "better" players we get in, the more we can absorb selling one against our wishes.

we wont sell anyone good, and I’m sure we will get the players Carlo wants im excited

I really hope that if we do buy Todibo it is one for the future and not for now because having watched his last 3 games he is mot ready for our first team. If it was my choice I would spend the extra cash and go for Gabriel and if not I believe Zouma would be a better buy than Todibo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back