Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like Sarr, but I think it's unlikely that our season will hinge on a back-up forward.
I don't know. I just don't really see another forward as a 'back up' in that way. It's about options, both for certain games and within games. We're not going to blow everyone away with the same team every week, there'll be games where it isn't working and a fresh pair of legs coming on for 20/30 minutes makes all the difference. In hindsight it's pretty clear Richarlison wasn't fit to start last week, but we didn't really have another option so we played him anyway. Another day that costs us, either because he makes the injury worse and misses ages, or because the early sub messes things up in that game. Kean wasn't good enough to make an impact but he played a part in 33 games last season, who knows what might have happened if DCL and Richarlison had had to play all those minutes themselves. As I said, you might get away with it, but I'd rather we didn't take the chance personally.

I don't know. I just don't really see another forward as a 'back up' in that way. It's about options, both for certain games and within games. We're not going to blow everyone away with the same team every week, there'll be games where it isn't working and a fresh pair of legs coming on for 20/30 minutes makes all the difference. In hindsight it's pretty clear Richarlison wasn't fit to start last week, but we didn't really have another option so we played him anyway. Another day that costs us, either because he makes the injury worse and misses ages, or because the early sub messes things up in that game. Kean wasn't good enough to make an impact but he played a part in 33 games last season, who knows what might have happened if DCL and Richarlison had had to play all those minutes themselves. As I said, you might get away with it, but I'd rather we didn't take the chance personally.

Richarlison went off and we won 4-2.

"Another day that costs us" is crystal ball talk.

Starting our fictional striker brought in during the window could also cost us.

The scum spent 40mil on a forward, couldn't play Mane and got beat 7-2.

I suppose the argument is more, are our current back ups of sufficient quality. If not is Sarr of significant quality? And if he is, is he sufficently better than the existing back ups to justify the price tag?

I appreciate Kean played a lot last season, but in terms of minutes it was much lower, and we played most of the season with 2 up top, that is now 1.

I suppose what they are weighing up, is whether Iwobi, Bernard, Gordon are good enough back up. Perhaps a curve ball, is none of them have thus far really demonstrated much desire to play wide right, whereas Sarr has played well out there.

I doubt there will be many unhappy if we were to bring Sarr in. I'm also happy with the shape of the squad if we don't know. Within the parameters we exist in, we have really moved it forward, so perhaps some perspective is required.

No time like the present if Carlo gives the thumbs up.
All i hear about him is how much bigger he is than the other players in his age bracket. That wont be the case in the PL, and i suspect Carlo wouldve included him if he thought he was good enough
As @Tennessee Blue Mike says no better time for him than now, should be on the bench more now and he's seen both Mason and Dom become favourites after been wrote off by many. He's seen Dom make and score on international debut and Mason surely would have been there too if fit. He's also seen Branthwaite play 1st team and us buy eng. U21 Godfrey. He sees other youth get their chance and take it. It's up to him to grab it-No better time for him to show he's good enough than now.

Richarlison went off and we won 4-2.

"Another day that costs us" is crystal ball talk.

Starting our fictional striker brought in during the window could also cost us.

The scum spent 40mil on a forward, couldn't play Mane and got beat 7-2.
There's nothing crystal ball about saying playing a player with a pre existing injury is a dangerous game. It's fine for you to disagree with what i'm saying, i'm only giving an opinion, but clearly playing injured players can cost you, we've got lots of examples of our own to look at.

I'm not sure there is a particularly significant demand, or after the Sancho antics United are willingly coughing up extra fees. I like Sarr, but I am aso quite happy with the squad at present and would probably see where we are come January.
I know I'm being greedy but I think Sarr is the missing ingredient in our forward options. Plus we are a bit short in numbers.

At the moment it's a would love to have rather than must have. That hopefully change next season if we get CL

I suppose the argument is more, are our current back ups of sufficient quality. If not is Sarr of significant quality? And if he is, is he sufficently better than the existing back ups to justify the price tag?

I appreciate Kean played a lot last season, but in terms of minutes it was much lower, and we played most of the season with 2 up top, that is now 1.

I suppose what they are weighing up, is whether Iwobi, Bernard, Gordon are good enough back up. Perhaps a curve ball, is none of them have thus far really demonstrated much desire to play wide right, whereas Sarr has played well out there.

I doubt there will be many unhappy if we were to bring Sarr in. I'm also happy with the shape of the squad if we don't know. Within the parameters we exist in, we have really moved it forward, so perhaps some perspective is required.
Kean got plenty of minutes in that grand scheme of things, that's my point. Not necessarily plenty of minutes for him to make an impact, but plenty of minutes when you think it would otherwise have been played by DCL and Richarlison. Effectively an extra 11 games worth of minutes, that can make a big difference in your legs over the course of a season. I also think we're still ostensibly playing 2 up front, just with a slight twist. Richarlison is tasked with getting into the box, not running the touchline, he's a striker, whatever the graphic on sky says. There's a reason Ancelotti said he thought both of them should get 20 goals, and Richarlison even mentioned in an interview this week that he believes he's playing up front.

Again, i fully appreciate that we could get away with the squad we've got. I'm not saying we can't possibly have a good season with what we've got or anything, just that I think we're a bit light in attack. I don't know whether we'll move for anyone, and if we do I don't know who it will be, but I think we could do with another option. The drop off from Richarlison (as mentioned, Ancelotti says he expects 20 goals from him) to Iwobi (best ever scoring season of 3) is very significant. Our midfield won't get a lot of goals so there's a lot of pressure on those forward players. I'd like there to be someone who can share that load with the lads currently in the side.

Is there such a player in the Championship? I wonder if we just move forward as is until January?

....I think we go with what we’ve got for now and if we’re still in the mix at Christmas he might freshen things up a bit.

It goes against my logic, but there is also the possibility Ancelotti is waiting to see if Kean can prove more effective than so far seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back