Match Thread Everton v Chelsea. 12th Sep at 12.45.

Result?

• Everton

Votes: 205 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • Chelsea all day

Votes: 34 9.2%
  • I'm only there to see us hurt them

Votes: 72 19.5%
  • I support Chelsea like

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah good seasons are often built on results like that early on. The corresponding fixture at roughly the same point last season seemed to spell the beginning of the downturn as confidence was affected. It could hopefully be the reverse process this season.

I'm more pleased that we are not leaking goals than anything, because as well as you are playing if they are going in at the back it always eats away at the confidence. Stop leaking them, stay solid, and we have enough talent to cause many problems for the opposition.
And funnily enough the corresponding fixture 2 season's ago got us our first win (Naismith) and kick started our season after 3 draws had people seriously doubting Martinez.
Last season's game had us all justifiably worried about the defence but (if I remember correctly) partially happy with the attacking verve we showed in scoring 3 and creating plenty of chances against Chelsea. Meanwhile the game the previous season had been more of a gutsy, backs to the wall, smash and grab affair. Today we combined the best elements of both those games.
So as you say, hopefully this will spur us on to great things.

And funnily enough the corresponding fixture 2 season's ago got us our first win (Naismith) and kick started our season after 3 draws had people seriously doubting Martinez.
Last season's game had us all justifiably worried about the defence but (if I remember correctly) partially happy with the attacking verve we showed in scoring 3 and creating plenty of chances against Chelsea. Meanwhile the game the previous season had been more of a gutsy, backs to the wall, smash and grab affair. Today we combined the best elements of both those games.
So as you say, hopefully this will spur us on to great things.

As Martinez himself said today, we scored 3 against them at home last season so no difference there. He then compared the resilience shown today with the complete lack of it last season. Makes me think as I said earlier that thankfully some lessons have been learnt and we can look forward more positively.

I remain convinced that the defensive resilience which had been built up over a long time was initially taken for granted and wasn't worked on, resulting in the problems we saw last season. Although this hasn't been completely reversed, it would seem that the problem has to some extent been addressed because we are not shipping goals like we were, which in turn spreads confidence throughout the team. Long may it continue.

State of him.

A comb and shave wouldn't go amiss like.

jp7p5j.jpg

10zrdp0.jpg

I really really really do not like Costa. After all the things he has done in the last year, why couldnt someone just make a crunching tackle on him?

Thats my biggest gripe today.

Actually it is my biggest gripe. Lennon came on to shore up the right hand side and help out Coleman, Mori came in to replace Coleman. Solid work everywhere.

Great result.

All we need now is the radio highlight thread with Sharpie screaming as the goals go in and some more choice quotes from the Chelsea blogs to enjoy.

COYB!

Rewatching the game.

1. The first goal was sublime...great job by Nais to hold off the defenders to get it wide...perfect run into the box...Galloway with a peach.
2. The second was a great strike. Keeper shoulda done better. A makeup for the save on Kone's header for us...Kone deserved to score...Begovic made a GREAT save on that one.
3. Matic's goal was unstoppable. The only way the keeper saves that is being out of position. Ball hit straight at the keeper but bending away to the far post. A perfect strike really.
4. Begovic shoulda done far better on the third goal. Pitchforks and torches would been out for Howard had he done the same...probably for the second too.

Difficult to pick out individuals when the team plays so cohesively as a unit said:
Cooler than a[/B] cucumber in tight spaces, solid in the tackle and simply majestic bringing the ball out from the back.....there was one drop of the shoulder that totally wrong footed half of the Paddock never mind just 3 Chelsea players.

!
Conjures up images that have nothing to do with football.

Thing that gets me, pundits stating Naismith should have been sent off for kicking Ivanovic, but no mention of Costa practically punching Coleman (history there from last season) and then the tackle from behind on Mori. Horrible man that Costa, never forgiven him for the way he treated Coleman on the own goal last season.

Thing that gets me, pundits stating Naismith should have been sent off for kicking Ivanovic, but no mention of Costa practically punching Coleman (history there from last season) and then the tackle from behind on Mori. Horrible man that Costa, never forgiven him for the way he treated Coleman on the own goal last season.

Also Ivanovic produced a two footed challenge in the second half which went unpunished and seemingly unnoticed by those analysing the game.

Interesting that the cameras switched to the bench as we got the second goal,everyone was up punching the air etc except super kev who looked like someone just nicked his last rolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back