Match Thread Everton v Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it’s relative. If it’s Godfrey we’re basically saying good luck playing 1 on 2 all day trying to attack Rich.
Yes we’re bereft of ideal options. Need to go with best 11 available. I’d love Niels to step up, think he will eventually. But Godfrey is by far the better player at the moment. Saying all that, it may be neither of them.

Chelsea last season was the jumpboard for a kick-starting our post Silva hangover thanks to Dunc but away from Goodison it was the game Carlo finally realised how big of a job he has on his hands with us.

I think our current 3-4-3 has backfired so far without Coleman and Digne but to be fair Iwobi has done well.

I'd like us to at least be balanced with James in the middle of midfield to pull the strings and keep our wing backs and wingers free to attack.

Chelsea likely to have Mount, Havertz and Kante in the middle so our midfield of Doucoure, James and Allan will be a good match.

Defensively we need height and a good shape so I can see Mina coming in to help with Giroud. Keane and Pickford are starters for sure and Keane will be needed to pick up Werner who is due to smash 4 or 5 in.

We have to put Nkounkou in at left back but I hoped he would've played against Burnley to help him settle better and Chelsea with their right side of Reese James, Havertz and Pulisic has to be one of the best in Europe nevermind the league. Luckily Nkounkou will have Richarlison to help out down that side.

Right back unless Coleman is fit and Kenny isn't been used as an option, has to be Holgate. He has more experience in that position than Godfrey plus he has good pace to compete with Chilwell overlapping and given how well he has done in the last 3 games, Iwobi will be supporting well.

Pickford
Holgate - Keane - Mina - Nkounkou
Doucoure - James - Allan
Iwobi - DCL - Richarlison

I hope Gordon gets a spot on the bench because he could impact games better than Tosun.

2-1 to Everton

As mad as it is, and at times we have been bad before we played chelsea with not many expecting us to win, but we have actually beat chelsea 4 of the last 6 times at Goodison [1 in the cup], so you just never know, as no one will really expect us to win

Won't be watching.....I need my weekends, sick of them getting ruined....the weeks are hard enough!!!

Im a terrible blue these days.

Up tha toffee's or sumert.

Chelsea last season was the jumpboard for a kick-starting our post Silva hangover thanks to Dunc but away from Goodison it was the game Carlo finally realised how big of a job he has on his hands with us.

I think our current 3-4-3 has backfired so far without Coleman and Digne but to be fair Iwobi has done well.

I'd like us to at least be balanced with James in the middle of midfield to pull the strings and keep our wing backs and wingers free to attack.

Chelsea likely to have Mount, Havertz and Kante in the middle so our midfield of Doucoure, James and Allan will be a good match.

Defensively we need height and a good shape so I can see Mina coming in to help with Giroud. Keane and Pickford are starters for sure and Keane will be needed to pick up Werner who is due to smash 4 or 5 in.

We have to put Nkounkou in at left back but I hoped he would've played against Burnley to help him settle better and Chelsea with their right side of Reese James, Havertz and Pulisic has to be one of the best in Europe nevermind the league. Luckily Nkounkou will have Richarlison to help out down that side.

Right back unless Coleman is fit and Kenny isn't been used as an option, has to be Holgate. He has more experience in that position than Godfrey plus he has good pace to compete with Chilwell overlapping and given how well he has done in the last 3 games, Iwobi will be supporting well.

Pickford
Holgate - Keane - Mina - Nkounkou
Doucoure - James - Allan
Iwobi - DCL - Richarlison

I hope Gordon gets a spot on the bench because he could impact games better than Tosun.

2-1 to Everton
I expect and hope Godrey plays LB in a back 4. Neils isn't getting anyywhere near the squad as we have seen. Rather keep it tight at the back and look to keep a clean sheet so agree with Holgate at RB . Agree with your 11 bar LB. Think a 451 when we don't have the ball is a better shape and then try break when we win the ball back .

I thought Godfrey was superb against Burnley but it's a huge ask to pop into left back against Chelsea but I'm sure he would be great.

However Nkounkou is more natural and would fit better, I don't think we'll be stretching Chelsea like we did against West Brom but to have a natural left footed wing back makes more sense than a right footed centre back.

They're going to come out flying, but there's always a chance that you can play your way into games against better teams if you're able to weather the early storm.

I think it'll be a massacre if Ancelotti sticks with a back-three, though.

I really hope he just keeps it simple for this game. No silly formations, no square pegs in round holes and no trying to be too clever. Just keep it simple.

Some of the Lampard Press Conference​

Team news​

We're the same as we were in midweek. Hakim and Callum are out for a couple of weeks. Christian had a tiny bit of awareness after the Leeds game in his hamstring but we should be as we were.

What did you learn from Ancelotti​

I was heavily influenced by him as a player and a man. He's right at the top of managers I worked with. He's had huge success at various clubs. He was a great coach, a great man and I look forward to seeing him.

Players walking off in Paris a seminal moment​

Not sure. It was important as the world moves on in right direction. Don't want to comment on a situation. Everyone knows how we at Chelsea feel about racism and equality.

What would you say to Demba Ba​

I don't know enough about the situation so don't want to get too involved.

Happy with Jorginho's attitude. Back on penalties. And what's up with Christian's hamstrings​

I didn't doubt his ability to take penalties. Normal that he will miss but he's confident in his style. Not a problem. He gives everything when he plays and trains. I'm delighted with him. Christian is a work in progress - I don't want to call it an injury. It's up to me to see how I can get the best out of him consistently.

Can Ancelotti get Everton into top six after good start and now shaky spell​

Frank Lampard says Everton have a fantastic squad and one of the best managers in the world
The Premier League is unforgiving. They've had injuries. It doesn't change my thoughts on how to approach playing them.

What you think of title race​

We're happy where we are but there's a long way to go... words aren't important at this point.

Ahead of where you expected​

Hard to say because of the variables at start of the season. We didn't have a long pre-season. Reality is we're somewhere in the middle and consistency is what we need going forward. I always want more.

Important to have PL to focus on now​

It was important for us to win our CL group and put that away until the new year. Our next four games show how challenging it is. It's important to focus and understand. We can't drop our standards.

Yes we’re bereft of ideal options. Need to go with best 11 available. I’d love Niels to step up, think he will eventually. But Godfrey is by far the better player at the moment. Saying all that, it may be neither of them.
Is Godfrey by far the better fullback? I mean it's just a weird way to look at it. Calvert-Lewin is a far better player than Doucoure but I wouldn't consider him for replacing Abdoulaye.

I think Nkounkou playing balances the team properly and gives us a chance to score goals. And we will need goals, plural, to get anything because Pickford will still be in net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back