Match Thread Everton v Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're going to come out flying, but there's always a chance that you can play your way into games against better teams if you're able to weather the early storm.

I think it'll be a massacre if Ancelotti sticks with a back-three, though.
If he plays a back 3 we will concede at least 3 and that is if it's a good day.

Is Godfrey by far the better fullback? I mean it's just a weird way to look at it. Calvert-Lewin is a far better player than Doucoure but I wouldn't consider him for replacing Abdoulaye.

I think Nkounkou playing balances the team properly and gives us a chance to score goals. And we will need goals, plural, to get anything because Pickford will still be in net.
It’s not weird. DCL would never play in Doucoures position. Whereas Godfrey has played in Nkounkou’s and did a decent job. So no not necessarily the better LB, but currently the better player. I think Niels in time will be a very good LB. I wish it was now, but based on what I’ve seen Godfrey is ahead of him. For whatever reason that also seems to be the view of Ancelotti.

It’s not weird. DCL would never play in Doucoures position. Whereas Godfrey has played in Nkounkou’s and did a decent job. So no not necessarily the better LB, but currently the better player. I think Niels in time will be a very good LB. I wish it was now, but based on what I’ve seen Godfrey is ahead of him. For whatever reason that also seems to be the view of Ancelotti.
It was Burnley. They don't press and don't have wingers. Godfrey isn't a fullback and especially a LB. Going up against Pulisic and trying to play out under pressure on his left foot will not be a pleasant time for him or us if Carlo tries it.

It was Burnley. They don't press and don't have wingers. Godfrey isn't a fullback and especially a LB. Going up against Pulisic and trying to play out under pressure on his left foot will not be a pleasant time for him or us if Carlo tries it.
Yes he isn’t a LB and it was Burnley and he was fine. Nkounkou has played once against a very poor Newcastle and was anything but fine. Playing well against Fleetwood doesn’t make him a better option against Pulisic.

Yes he isn’t a LB and it was Burnley and he was fine. Nkounkou has played once against a very poor Newcastle and was anything but fine. Playing well against Fleetwood doesn’t make him a better option against Pulisic.
Nkounkou was fine against Newcastle. The entire team was screwed by Carlo's batcrap tactical plan. As they will be again if he starts Godfrey at LB Saturday.

Nkounkou was fine against Newcastle. The entire team was screwed by Carlo's batcrap tactical plan. As they will be again if he starts Godfrey at LB Saturday.
Godrey is a better defender right now than Neils who wont even be in the squad. Hes a better option against Chelsea so i hope and think hel start LB.

Godrey is a better defender right now than Neils who wont even be in the squad. Hes a better option against Chelsea so i hope and think hel start LB.
The problem I have with it is mostly that it will severely inhibit our attacking play and we have to be an attacking team because it doesn't matter who plays we can't defend.

And that's without even getting into the fact that I don't think Godfrey is a great defender who will 100% succeed moving wide.

The problem I have with it is mostly that it will severely inhibit our attacking play and we have to be an attacking team because it doesn't matter who plays we can't defend.

And that's without even getting into the fact that I don't think Godfrey is a great defender who will 100% succeed moving wide.
We wont get that attacking threat back till digne is fit so think we should concentrate on keeping clean sheets. Is what it is

We wont get that attacking threat back till digne is fit so think we should concentrate on keeping clean sheets. Is what it is
Why would we concentrate on the thing we aren't good at and possibly can't even do? I also think you and blue toffee are both underestimating the likelihood that Godfrey is a terrible defender at LB too.

Nkounkou isn't Digne going forward but he's left footed, reasonably athletic to cover the ground and can at least attempt to cross from wide so he's the best chance we've got at keeping the team balanced. That's been the case for 3 weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back