Match Thread Everton v Man United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two individual errors gave MU victory. Without them, they wouldn't score till Christmas. Didn't feel we played with MU. more like Southampton or Palace. This was to take. And think players must feel the same. Heads up and keep fighting.
Totally agree on the impact of those two ridiculous errors.

Handed the platform to them. They then hit their 'got-a-chance-in-the-Europa-league' stride and passed around us nicely in moments - showing absolutely where Everton FB's and MF really need to build the same fluency and struggled to last night.

Timely look in the mirror if we wanna stay mid-table with the hope of pressing upwards.

Is our midfield poor at finding a pass or is it that our front 3 have so little movement / ability to take a pass in a tight position ?

For us to progress we need to completely change the front 3. I suspect that means that we have to sell Gordon and Calvert-Lewin to fund the investment in at least 3 new players.

I’ve been thinking that with our wingers not being great and maupay being better in a 2 rather than a lone striker how about a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield and Dom and maupay up front ?
Gueye as the base, iwobi the tip and Onana and garner either side.
Or doucoure could be the tip with iwobi one of the sides ?
Think we have the different permutations in midfield to make this work with the full backs providing the width.
Although the caveat to my ramblings would be we would need Patterson for this to work and not Coleman.

The energy lark,It happens Dave unfortunately from time to time,we were off it last night,along with villa away far and away our worst performance in my humble opinion,the first was on Gueye,loathe to blame Iwobi as he was ten/fifteen yards in their half trying to create for us,was a similar situation to at West Ham last season,we should be organised enough to not concede from there.
They tried to be footballers, that was the only reason we were beaten.

I blame Lampard for that. He has to have them taking no chances in their own half of the pitch and working hard for 90 minutes to get anything out of a match.

They deviated from that last night and presented a poor United team with three points.

Very frustrating match to lose and United had it far too easy. It was really unclear what we were trying to do for the most part. We tried passing it out on occasion but when it became obvious we couldn't keep the ball, we then didn't think to push Onana right up for the more direct route from goal kicks, instead inexplicably aiming at the likes of Maupay. There is a major aerial deficiency with their two centre halves and we never once tried to exploit it until DcL came on.

When a team doesn't have to do anything special to win a match at Goodison and just simply need to capitalise off of our errors, you know it's been a bad day at the office. The midfield really were the catalyst for our loss, all three were really poor in and out of possession after we scored the first goal. They've been a huge factor in our good defensive record so far so hopefully yesterday was just a blip and they're back to their best against Spurs, we'll get thrashed if they aren't.

Coleman and Gordon gave us a very mediocre right-side too, absolutely nothing came from that area all game for us until McNeil came on and whipped a couple of balls in. I was really concerned when Patterson got injured and whilst I was relieved his injury wasn't as bad as first feared, I'm still counting down the days until he's back.

Good to see Dom back and a nice cameo from Garner were the main positives from last night, not to mention the undeniable mentality improvement that saw us lay siege to their goal at the end trying to nick what would have been an underserved point. Whilst it was too little, too late, it' certainly something we didn't see at this stage last season when we were chasing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.