Match Thread Everton v Man United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They’ve gone pretty much full strength, maybe Rashford in for Ronaldo but other than that!
Our lineup against you will probably be Rashford in for Sancho, Martial in for Ronaldo and McTominay in for Casemiro. Maybe Varane in for Lindelof if he's fit enough but other than those changes it'll be close to what we have fielded tonight.

Their pace up front worries me and something we haven’t really had to deal with this season yet too much but I actually think our midfield can hold their own and their defence without Varane is very gettable as shown tonight.

Pickford

Coleman
Tarkowski
Coady
Mykolenko

Gana
Iwobi
Onana

Grey
Maupay
Gordon

Subs. Begovic, keane, vinagre, john, garner, davies, doucoure, mcneill, rondon

Given their recent run of results and the resulting pressure from their over-entitled fanbase, I reckon Ten Hag will feel the need to get a firm win. He may well go close to full strength because they've already lost one match in their EL group.

I wonder if Casemiro will get a start, considering how awful their midfield was v City.
It wasn't a particularly tough call, but: called it.

Eriksen played the entire match last night, as did Ronaldo. Casemiro got 80 minutes, Bruno Fernandes played 60.

Ten Hag rotated some of his defence, but essentially played a virtually full-strength midfield and attack. He obviously NEEDED that EL win... and very nearly didn't get it.

Tear into these from the very start, rough up their midfield and if they're stupid enough to recall Maguire then let Maupay snap at his heels all day. It's a home game, under the lights, with a crowd that could be febrile from a day on the ale. This has all the ingredients of a decent win for us, if we play mistake-free football. Big test for Coleman, Coady and Tarkowski, who will be facing some very pacy opponents.

It’s been a long time since I could say this but our midfield will outwork, outrun and outfight them and if you win the midfield battle at home with a big atmosphere, it’s hard not to get something from the game. I’m actually excited to watch this one!
You're not wrong my brother.

Last season we had possibly the worst midfield in our history, which meant we needed to have Richi neglect his attacking to add an extra man when not in possession so that we were not overrun, yet we still were.

This season we have a sold, settled bank of three, more come about through luck (injuries in defence) than judgement it must be said, and it looks like we don't necessarily need Maupay to act as a midfielder as often as Richi was.

I only wish our wing options were better, because we've gone from being abysmal in the middle of the park to being abysmal on the wings, which makes scoring goals against the good clubs so much more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.