Match Thread Everton v Nottingham Forest : 3pm KO : Saturday 20th August 2022

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lion's share in the first half but no goals... Under the cosh for the second half but only conceded one. And the assist for the goal comes from the keeper.

My MotM: Jordan Pickford.

NB: listened on radio, did not watch.

Good in spells, certainly the better team in my eyes. Pickford poor on their goal, Gray class for ours. Desperate for some attackers though. Should have won as they are tosh.
Gordon should have scored twice against Villa and guessing he missed one today as well

Forest were lucky with the goal I thought, it bounced right back to the lad.
That wasn't bad luck Pickford does it all the time. He got away with one earlier in the game , I have never been a Pickford fan but over the last 12 months he has definitely improved but this is one aspect of his game he needs to tighten up.

Just watched MotD: everything Demarai Gray did for his goal, from start to finish, was perfect. Absolutely sublime technical work on initial positioning, timing his movement, choosing the angle and shape of his run, the first touch, the second touch and the finish. Just wonderful.

Just needs consistency. Which has always been his flaw.

This place & Twitter goes into a proper meltdown after every negative result lol we aren't half a reactionary, emotional bunch us blues.

Just watched MotD: everything Demarai Gray did for his goal, from start to finish, was perfect. Absolutely sublime technical work on initial positioning, timing his movement, choosing the angle and shape of his run, the first touch, the second touch and the finish. Just wonderful.

Just needs consistency. Which has always been his flaw.
Will do wonders for his confidence!

Yesterday was a 6 out of 10 effort. It's pretty clear Frank picks on effort first, and creativity and finishing second. We keep playing Gray/Gordon/McNeil and they don't create any chances. Only Iwobi can somewhat create a chance on his day, but he's too busy in the midfield now. Voted Coady as the MOM, because there was literally no one else worthy. Iwobi just had an average game for me, id rather see him as an attacking midfielder than as a CM. Also I can't believe I'm saying this, but Rondon should have stayed on, but funny thing is we might not have scored Gray's goal, so I suppose it worked out in the end.

This is a sensible point. We’re not playing poorly nor do we look overly threatened. Simple mistakes and a lack of a striker are hampering us.

I’d be far more concerned if we weren’t at the races at all, so if/when the board resolve the front line I suspect we will start picking up three points.

The only concern is we have a sequence of games, which will be quite tough. Early points on the board would have been a big help there.
Only saw the 2nd half so take it with a pinch of salt if necessary but...

Even with a good firing forward the number of times our players failed to play a simple ball in the attacking third was incredible. I can understand them not seeing a pass that's clearly visible to someone watching from another angle but just dreadful execution of passes they attempted - dropping it behind a running player or straight at an opposition player.

And even with a good forward those front line players need to making more runs in behind. Very rarely did I see anyone busting a gut to catch up with play or offer a good run into dangerous areas when the ball was out wide in the corners. Seemed happier to slowly catch up with play as a team and force a backward pass.

Only saw the 2nd half so take it with a pinch of salt if necessary but...

Even with a good firing forward the number of times our players failed to play a simple ball in the attacking third was incredible. I can understand them not seeing a pass that's clearly visible to someone watching from another angle but just dreadful execution of passes they attempted - dropping it behind a running player or straight at an opposition player.

And even with a good forward those front line players need to making more runs in behind. Very rarely did I see anyone busting a gut to catch up with play or offer a good run into dangerous areas when the ball was out wide in the corners. Seemed happier to slowly catch up with play as a team and force a backward pass.
We play wing backs who don't get forward. it seems pointless to play that formation. I don't recall mykolenko putting a single cross in yesterday. He was really disappointing and I wouldn't be surprised if vinagre becomes our regular left back.

Our front 3 aren't good enough. The wouldn't score 10 between them if they started every game this season. Gray was the only one who showed anything. I don't think I've ever seen a player give up the ball so easily as much as Gordon.

Edit: and Davies is an attrocious footballer. Wasted so much in the first half and should've been hooked at half time. McNeill not much better second half. Both of them had an opportunity to play a through ball when we had promising attacks and both massively under hit them. Now that I remember it, Davies had one in the first half as well and massively overhit it.

That's what's killing us. We have a decent team, being hamstrung by some utter dross.

Status
Not open for further replies.