Match Thread Everton v Spurs. 3rd Jan at 1600.

How do we make Everton boss?

• Sort the goalkeeper out

Votes: 183 41.4%
  • Get Jagielka in and the defence sorted

Votes: 83 18.8%
  • Change the Manager

Votes: 42 9.5%
  • Show some patience with the young team

Votes: 56 12.7%
  • I just watch the games and can't be arsed with all this

Votes: 35 7.9%
  • I'm a Chinese spam robot you ted

Votes: 43 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a decent result in isolation. But the capitulations of the previous games made it an almost must win given the games we have coming up.

The pressure is on massively now for the next few games.
"Must win" what does that mean?

Why must we win them? The LC games, yeah, for sure. I dont think I view any of the others are that pressing, tbh. 'Want to win games', yes. But 'must'...I dont get the overwhelming urgency or significance.

Since McCarthy has been injured Besic (or Gibson) should have been in that position with Cleverley on the left where he is more effective.

Hopefully that lesson has been learnt today after the improvement in performance when they were moved into those positions.

Spurs played the possession game well today just as Everton have against many teams. Yes they should have been in front with the 2 shots off the woodwork but looking at the overall picture they did not threaten us much especially in the 2nd half. We also didn't threaten that much but thought we looked the more dangerous than spurs once Besic and Del came on. Spurs did an Everton against us...possession football but not really telling....but they are getting heaps of praise for it.

At least their goal was decent. Fair enough, maybe the tracking wasn't as good as it should've been, but it was still a tricky finish.

I don't mind those so much. It's the bread-and-butter ones we let in that drive me crazy.

So I'd put today down as a small step in the right direction. We looked so much better all over the park second half.

Spurs played the possession game well today just as Everton have against many teams. Yes they should have been in front with the 2 shots off the woodwork but looking at the overall picture they did not threaten us much especially in the 2nd half. We also didn't threaten that much but thought we looked the more dangerous than spurs once Besic and Del came on. Spurs did an Everton against us...possession football but not really telling....but they are getting heaps of praise for it.

I agree - but bear in mind that if we went into that game with spurs' form - and had been the away side & played the game they played today, it'd have been a different story.

I thought his plan was to give them the ball and bring them onto us, and I think he was spot on by saying post match that they had a lot of possession but didn't cut through a great deal.

That plan almost got us to HT with the lead. Second half we changed the shape and tempo and that worked.

Sorry mate, I think once the dust has settled on this match it'll be seen that we've handled a team in the form of their lives very cagily and expertly.

Not really sure his plan was all that different from usual. We never put pressure on anyone. He just made sure Kone was back helping the left back more often, but there was still an obvious lack of organisation. Everyone all over the place, the midfield easily bypassed and some desperate defending. We were lucky not to be 2 or 3 down at half time.

Didn't cut through, for real? We sat so far deep and they created so many chances, it was a miracle when we took the lead on the break, and they could've had 4.

Hardly "expertly". The word here is "just about".

They hit two on target outside the box first half besides the goal...which can be described as cutting through.

Since McCarthy has been injured Besic (or Gibson) should have been in that position with Cleverley on the left where he is more effective.

Hopefully that lesson has been learnt today after the improvement in performance when they were moved into those positions.

Hope so too, Kone has been nowhere near as bad as blues are making out. However I think the time has come for him to be dropped or only played up top centrally with Lukaku rather than coming in off the left.

Also think Cleverly looks decent on the left.

In a funny way I was proud of the performance today.
The defence was resolute and and barring the two shots that hit the woodwork and the goal, we closed down and threw bodies at shots.
i thought we set up like the away team today and our goal was proof of that, and second half with the changes we could of gone on to win it.
Kone was poor and needs to be dropped, I thought Cleverley had a great little game and some of his longer balls are superb. Also Besic was excellent when he came on, his workrate and aggression was what we needed at that point in the game
Spurs are a very good side and we more than matched them
As for their goal, great ball great finish....give credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back