Match Thread Everton v Swansea. 24th Jan at 1330.

What do you identify the Wirral as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
United are still well in the hunt and you can lose points hands over fist in this league in a short space of time.

I'm not saying they're out of the hunt, I just don't get your insistence that Leicester won't be top 4, especially given Man Utd's poor form all season. Can't we just root for the underdog once and learn from their success this season?

To me, the worst thing about the pass back wasn't the pass itself, it was the arrogance with which it was delayed by Stones when it should have gone earlier instead of throwing in a needless shimmy. The pass itself however, was still fine in my eyes. There was a great replay showing Howard actually taking a step back when the ball was on the way to him, at the same time as stepping back, his eyes were firmly fixed on the incoming striker... I can't actually imagine what was going through Tim's head instead of actually moving towards the ball when he saw it was coming, but there again, he has turned incredible error prone, incredibly quickly.

I'd place a 20/80 ratio of blame to Stones/Howard on that, but really, it has been coming for weeks with arrogant play at the back from Stones. Swansea were terrible and scored from pretty much their only forays forwards and were very organised at the back when they parked the bus. We never really looked like scoring and don't really have an viable alternative if Lukaku is off the pace like today.

We really need to stop buying for the future now and actually improve the first eleven. Too many players in the squad such as Hibbert, Osman, Gibson, Kone and McGeady that are just a waste of wages. No back up to Right Back, Jags out, McCarthy out, Kev injured, Besic injured... we just look paper thin again.

We will still win matches this season, and enough to stay out of real trouble, but the underlying issues remain... Teams know how to play against us because we only have 1 plan. I also think our weak goalkeeper is the biggest reason behind Stones' form. I've seen it happen at other clubs recently where the defenders don't trust the keeper and they instantly look shaky and start making mistakes (Middlesbrough, the difference between the defence in front of Tomas Meijas/Dimi Konstantopolis as one external example).

Sorry for the length of the post, don't normally post much but needed to vent today because that should have been an easy win today.

Good post and I agree with most of it.

I would reverse the culpability percentages in the Stones/Howard penalty fiasco.....and I don't buy Howard being the reason Stones has regressed so much this season as Funes Mori has been a revelation as left sided centre back, playing in front of the same, admittedly long past his sell by date, goalkeeper.

I put Stones regression down to his head having been turned and believing the hype he reads about himself.

But as I say, a very good post and I hope you post a bit more often, Ninja ;)

I've been patient and calm and reasonable but enough is enough......we are what we are: 12th, closer ot the relagation zone than top 4 deluded into thinking ordinary young players like Barkley and Stones are the real deal and generally as usual going nowhere.

In short we are Everton.

Maybe you dont want it to happen?

Maybe you should stop guessing how others think. You're invariably wrong.

Where's the next win coming from? And what makes you so certain the dissent will stop with getting to the final? Don't say that it'll be good enough to assuage my concerns or will make me pipe down because it sure as hell will not.

We're not consistent enough to go on a winning streak. One win doesn't even begin to paper over the very visible cracks. It might be alright for you, but your mindset apply to everyone else.

What is really concerning is that today wasn't a shock. Even though Swansea are rubbish, I still felt we would struggle to win. We have forgotten how to win Premier league matches.

For me, Newcastle at home is an absolutely massive match, we have to win it. What is worrying is that they can put their feet up, whilst we have two games to play before than.

Today was an absolutely massive match that we had to win.

I'm not saying they're out of the hunt, I just don't get your insistence that Leicester won't be top 4, especially given Man Utd's poor form all season. Can't we just root for the underdog once and learn from their success this season?
I dont like Leicester. They're an ugly team to watch.

My point on them is that they're a small squad and teams behind will pick up their tempo from now on in and amass a big total of points. Leicester will be hard pressed to avoid the pressure that comes with this position in the top four.

I've seen it loads: the head goes before the body.

Anything that suggests that it is possible to challenge the moneyed clubs needs to be destroyed so the continued lowering of expectations at Everton can continue...

We all want it to happen Dave, but on today's showing, it looks ever so unlikely
@Whistlin' Dixie
Different GK makes all the difference. Let's put it this way: if TH had played first leg this tie would be over right now.

We need one goal on Wednesday and they'd need three to get through without going to penalties.

I'll take that strong possibility. sad to say, many 'blues' will be hoping we dont make it.

I dont like Leicester. They're an ugly team to watch.

My point on them is that they're a small squad and teams behind will pick up their tempo from now on in and amass a big total of points. Leicester will be hard pressed to avoid the pressure that comes with this position in the top four.

I've seen it loads: the head goes before the body.

So what if they're ugly? - The only thing that matters is that they've got the points on the board. They're picking up points where they'd generally not be expected to. We're dropping points everywhere, and they'll still finish ahead of us.

Oh, my bad! They're out of both cups aren't they? :dodgy:

Different GK makes all the difference. Let's put it this way: if TH had played first leg this tie would be over right now.

We need one goal on Wednesday and they'd need three to get through without going to penalties.

I'll take that strong possibility. sad to say, many 'blues' will be hoping we dont make it.

No Blue - except the odd one paranoid about facing the RS at Wembley - will hope we don't make it past City.
I'll agree that we need to score, because El Bob simply cannot coach a defensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back