Match Thread Everton v Swansea. 24th Jan at 1330.

What do you identify the Wirral as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all well and good continually lamenting our poor fortune with defensive mistakes by individual players, but when does it change from bad luck to bad game management or tactics? Today was the perfect example, why did Stones have to play it back there? He could see Ayew was closing in, just put it out of play or down the field. Its all well and good expressing yourself on the ball but there is a time and a place. Martinez or whoever is our defensive coach at the club (do we even have one??) needs to be telling these players when and where not just every time you have the ball pass for the sake of a philosophy, because if that's the case this continual ineptitude at defending will continue.

Martinez has to take the lead in addressing our defensive failings and saying to get it out of play if in any doubt. We don't need Cruyff turns, back flicks and tippy tappy passing on our own six yard box all the time, surely he can see its counter productive, especially at a time like now when confidence must be rock bottom when it comes to our defending as a team.

Somebody wrote on this forum about Martinez adopting the Alex Ferguson mantle of we will always score one more than you, so didn't focus on the defensive side as much. The difference is he had players like Bruce, Pallister, Stam, Vidic etc who could organise and lead the defence (and know when to play and when to hoof)

No Blue - except the odd one paranoid about facing the RS at Wembley - will hope we don't make it past City.
I'll agree that we need to score, because El Bob simply cannot coach a defensive game.
I think I can categorically deny that going off many posters on here. They'd be gutted.

To me, the worst thing about the pass back wasn't the pass itself, it was the arrogance with which it was delayed by Stones when it should have gone earlier instead of throwing in a needless shimmy. The pass itself however, was still fine in my eyes. There was a great replay showing Howard actually taking a step back when the ball was on the way to him, at the same time as stepping back, his eyes were firmly fixed on the incoming striker... I can't actually imagine what was going through Tim's head instead of actually moving towards the ball when he saw it was coming, but there again, he has turned incredible error prone, incredibly quickly.

I'd place a 20/80 ratio of blame to Stones/Howard on that, but really, it has been coming for weeks with arrogant play at the back from Stones. Swansea were terrible and scored from pretty much their only forays forwards and were very organised at the back when they parked the bus. We never really looked like scoring and don't really have an viable alternative if Lukaku is off the pace like today.

We really need to stop buying for the future now and actually improve the first eleven. Too many players in the squad such as Hibbert, Osman, Gibson, Kone and McGeady that are just a waste of wages. No back up to Right Back, Jags out, McCarthy out, Kev injured, Besic injured... we just look paper thin again.

We will still win matches this season, and enough to stay out of real trouble, but the underlying issues remain... Teams know how to play against us because we only have 1 plan. I also think our weak goalkeeper is the biggest reason behind Stones' form. I've seen it happen at other clubs recently where the defenders don't trust the keeper and they instantly look shaky and start making mistakes (Middlesbrough, the difference between the defence in front of Tomas Meijas/Dimi Konstantopolis as one external example).

Sorry for the length of the post, don't normally post much but needed to vent today because that should have been an easy win today.

Great post; i think Howard gets too much flak and his loss of confidence is partly down to the fans, but i agree with everything else you say.

Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue Moooon.
There's plenty here who'll be singing it with you.

I really dont understand it.

I think it's a matter of valuing loyalty and appreciating the bigger picture rather than being fickle and running about with your hair on fire.

Wrong again. I know of NO Evertonian wants us to lose...And if there are any, then they're NOT Evertonians imo.

You might like to think there are - but only for the purpose of upholding your spurious, ridiculous claims.
I really wish that was true. Sadly it's not. It's just not.

*sigh*

There's plenty here who'll be singing it with you.

I really dont understand it.

I think it's a matter of valuing loyalty and appreciating the bigger picture rather than being fickle and running about with your hair on fire.

Says the man who would accept relegation for a tin pot cup. Oh the irony

We were awful today, there is no bigger picture

Different GK makes all the difference. Let's put it this way: if TH had played first leg this tie would be over right now.

We need one goal on Wednesday and they'd need three to get through without going to penalties.

I'll take that strong possibility. sad to say, many 'blues' will be hoping we dont make it.

Then why doesn't the clown change the keeper in the league then! It's ludicrous and Martinez is to blame.

We all want to win on Wednesday. Dave, you back your opinion and I respect that, perhaps time you respected others?

I think it's more than fair that RM is questioned for our poor form. 1 home league win in 2 months is a joke and a cup run shouldn't mask that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back