Match Thread Everton v Swansea. 24th Jan at 1330.

What do you identify the Wirral as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many discussion points from the game yesterday. So just a couple from me.

l was shocked at our work-rate and effort in the 1st half I thought well it,s probably down to the fact that the players are saving themselves for Wednesday but then I also thought they generally don,t look arsed full stop in front of the fans and a live global TV audience ! I have seen that lazy swagger before under previous Everton managers and that should be a concern for the management team and directors.

I cannot understand how two players are passed fit and then break down inside of 20 mins of the game - the medical team and the manager surely have to look at that internally. Mo looked like he had enough walking of the pitch with the constant soft tissue injury's and Kev was in no mood to run off an injury.

Swansea have lifted 3 points off a sleeping team and it was brutally easy for them in truth meanwhile Bobby is giving the GP faithfully the steely eye which is will not end well if things go pear shaped on Wed.

Players agents are going to be firmly fixed on all things Everton in the next 7 days.

We were terrible in the first half, but I think the injury to Besic was the killer so early on. The crowd went flat and so did the team.

Mirallas did attempt to stay on, and even was shown by the cameras indicating to RM that he would stay on, but the manager chose to take him off.

I think deep in our hearts we all want Bobby to turn things around and for us to win both cups. And make top 5. Hard yes. Impossible no.

On to you our boys in blue. Wednesday is the biggest game we've had since the FA cup final in 2009. Wednesday is the most important day of Roberto Martinez's Everton career.

COYB. Make us proud again.

And here's the big problem: the confidence of this squad is probably at an all-time low. And regardless of what some think on here, who have shot down previous posts of mine, that's partly down to fan attitude (this applies particularly to Barkley and Howard, although i appreciate the latter is unlikely to play on Wednesday). So, I hope it all works out. But i'm expecting the worst.

Yes.....I have cooled down a bit myself after watching the recording.

So I am done with criticising the defending at the first goal.

I am looking at the ref now.

As with Leciester's third and decisive goal, the referee ignored a blatant handball which started the move.

As with the Stoke game when he was blatantly fouled in the box, Seamus Coleman was denied a stonewall penalty when a boy handled a cross from him.

Then there is the misfiring strikers.

It is criminal Lukaku and Ross were not attacking thise wicked crosses Del was putting in with regular frequency all through the second half.

Seamus them procedes to miss two sitters.....one a contender for miss if the season.

FFS we could just as easily won that game 8-2.

I love writing this stuff.

I love arguing with those I have been arguing with all night.

I love GOT because it gives all of us a safety valve we never had back in that prehistoric time before the Internet when you came home the game, kicked the dog, insulted the wife and sent the children to their rooms....:whip:

And now I am starting to get up for Wednesday night ;)

I love you, Everton.

COYB :pint2:

To be fair to the ref with regard to the second goal, Williams didn't really have much time to move his arm, and didn't move it towards the ball. The Coleman incident is, however, a different matter.

I'd take 65m now TBF ... hahahaha .... christ almighty what a weird season.

If they were going to sleepwalk why even start players who we would need on Wednesday?

Off to Ijjy's thread ... looking forward because I'm sick of looking backwards.

Totally agree! it's well and good getting fed up etc but sometimes no matter what, a game doesn't go your way!!

I just hope we all get behind them on Weds, such a big game!
Lots of games haven't gone our way in the last couple of seasons!!!, don't worry about Wednesday the Everton fans will be well up for it, will Martinez and the team? I hope so so for the fans sake.

To be fair to the ref with regard to the second goal, Williams didn't really have much time to move his arm, and didn't move it towards the ball. The Coleman incident is, however, a different matter.
Look closely, it hit his hand then he made a discernible move to touch the ball again.....hand ball all game long!!!!!!!!

Lots of games haven't gone our way in the last couple of seasons!!!, don't worry about Wednesday the Everton fans will be well up for it, will Martinez and the team? I hope so so for the fans sake.

It's frustrating time for sure, the biggest part being the quality of player we have at our disposal. I do wonder what'll happen if we lose on Weds.

We were terrible in the first half, but I think the injury to Besic was the killer so early on. The crowd went flat and so did the team.

Mirallas did attempt to stay on, and even was shown by the cameras indicating to RM that he would stay on, but the manager chose to take him off.

We should all think ourselves lucky RM gave Mirallas any minutes at all. Scandalous misuse all season long of a quality player.

Hopefully the injury is minor... knowing our luck, it won't be.

yeah but psychology doesn't work like that does it.

If you were being paid the going rate for your job, hell if you were being paid 20/100 times that, would you perform better if 36'000 people (who have never played professional football) over-analysed every single body movement you made and booed/screamed abused when ever they decided (rightfully or wrongly) that you were doing something wrong, or they didn't agree with? or would you perform better if they didn't.
No footballer plays the perfect game every week, they will always makes mistakes but the better footballers are the ones that deal with those mistakes, get on with it and not let it effect then. Which is kind of difficult when your own support boos you or ironically claps the rest of your touches.
Utter, utter bobbins.

If someone operating the checkout at Asda gets verbal stick from a succession of customers, will that suddenly make them less competent at carrying out the tasks assigned to a checkout operator? Nope.

What about train drivers? EVERYONE hates train drivers, they get it in the neck all day long. Don't see them accidentally reversing the thing into a tree the next day though.

Estate Agents are massive weapons and therefore must get constant barracking from buyers and sellers alike - how many of them go to work the next day and forget how to take photos of bedrooms because Mr. and Mrs. Simpkins from yesterday called them a lazy git?

Any footballer who says they can't play because they are afraid of the crowd giving them verbal is, in my humble opinion, a very weak-minded person. I'd go so far as to say that they'd struggle in several other lines of work too if they are unable to take criticism.

Part of the job of a top-level footballer is parading your talent in front of your fans - these fans pay a chunk of the wages and have expectations. It's NOT reasonable to demand that the players win every game, because life isn't like that. It IS reasonable however for the fans to expect the players to VISIBLY make the effort, to create the IMPRESSION that they are trying to get a result. Part of that is NOT making stupid decisions every week, or taking HUGELY unnecessary risks. This dovetails nicely into the reasons why it's acceptable for the fans to demand more from the manager too.

Top level football is played in front of crowds of 40,000+ and if you can't handle that, then you can't be a top-level footballer.

Last edited:
Utter, utter bobbins.

If someone operating the checkout at Asda gets verbal stick from a succession of customers, will that suddenly make them less competent at carrying out the tasks assigned to a checkout operator? Nope.

What about train drivers? EVERYONE hates train drivers, they get it in the neck all day long. Don't see them accidentally reversing the thing into a tree the next day though.

Estate Agents are massive weapons and therefore must get constant barracking from buyers and sellers alike - how many of them go to work the next day and forget how to take photos of bedrooms because Mr. and Mrs. Simpkins from yesterday called them a lazy git?

Any footballer who says they can't play because they are afraid of the crowd giving them verbal is, in my humble opinion, a very weak-minded person. I'd go so far as to say that they'd struggle in several other lines of work too if they are unable to take criticism.

Part of the job of a top-level footballer is parading your talent in front of your fans - these fans pay a chunk of the wages and have expectations. It's NOT reasonable to demand that the players win every game, because life isn't like that. It IS reasonable however for the fans to expect the players to VISIBLY make the effort, to create the IMPRESSION that they are trying to get a result. Part of that is NOT making stupid decisions every week, or taking HUGELY unnecessary risks. This dovetails nicely into the reasons why it's acceptable for the fans to demand more from the manager too.

Top level football is played in front of crowds of 40,000+ and if you can't handle that, then you can't be a top-level footballer.
wow, I really hope this i some jarg attempt at a wind up and you don't actually believe any of that twaddle.

If you can't see the demotivational effect of 36,00 people screaming at your every move and booing you then there is little hope. Your Asda checkout operator will get either angry or pissed off either way they will be more likely to make mistakes the longer it goes on. Negative human emotions felt kills precision and enthusiasm. Train drivers??? eh? perhaps bus drivers.. I've seen a fair few of them angry after dealing with some tosser who's stood there drunkenly abusing them for 5 mins. Sometimes they aren't particularly safe to drive until they settle down. Are you as good a driver when you're angry or in a highly emotional state? thought not.
Estate Agents? yep, I'm sure they get upset when people have a go, how many of them will do deals when they are in a highly charged emotional state? They will wait until they can look at things rationally again before doing anything that involves large amounts of money.

In every case their ability to react to the situation is impaired by the random abuse they get.
Times that by 36,000 by giving them nowhere to hide, in front of an angry mob who's supposed to be on their side and see how well their decision making is.

You've obviously never met a human being before if you think that someone's performance won't be effected by abuse.
Why do you think Tim constantly comes out trying to overstate his confidence to convince himself he has some? Why do you think Players drink so much and sometimes turn to drugs?
Is it life or death? No. Does it require a calm head, a high mental focus and confidence? You bet. Does being booed and ironically clapped by your own support help maintain a calm head, a high mental focus and confidence? Completely the opposite.

Abusing the players is utterly self defeating and only makes things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back