Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v West Ham. 5th March at 1500.

What do you think should be Saturday's objective?

• Three points for the royal blues

Votes: 186 49.9%
  • Lay down a performance that shows we are progressing

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • Sign Willy Caballero

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • HURT PAYET

Votes: 140 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What genuinely shitty way to lose a game. You couldn't make it up with Payet scoring the winner after we should have went 3-0 up just twenty minutes before with a penalty.

There's too many hard luck stories with this Everton team for it to be coincidence or bad luck.

Anyway, interesting times. I still lean towards give him some more time under the new regime. We desperately need some leaders in this team and also agree with needing an effective defensive coach.

My personal view is that Martinez should now be told outright that his job is on the line and that he has until the end of the season to prove he can manage a game defensively. He will then have had three seasons with us, two of which have been very disappointing. He doesn't seem to have learned the lessons of his Wigan days and you have to wonder now whether he ever will. We have an exciting squad and yes, he has us playing some exciting football, but at the end of the day results matter, and in this area he is not proving he is up to the job. Unless there is a marked upturn by the end of the season there's no way i think we should start a new season with him. The last two substitutions in that game were imo tactically naive. It was not the time to showboat Niasse to the Goodison crowd when we were down to ten men (maybe in the last 5 minutes) and then to take Lukaku off for Barry at the end was almost like an admission he'd got it wrong with the Niasse substitution and an acknowledgement of the need to shore up defence when it was already too late.

Fuming I am, Fuming.
2meqntx.jpg

Frustrating... Disheartening... Unnerving... Some of the words which have flashed through my slightly tender mind this morning.

What makes it even worse was there were some real positives from the game yesterday including our work rate, effort and overall play.

We looked the much better side for large swathes of the game even when we were down to ten men, but capitulating just sums up our season.

Whose to blame? I don't think there was one singular person or aspect to blame however Rom, Mirallas and Martinez must take some of it.

Scoring the penalty would have most probably finished the game off, however Kevin put us in an inherently difficult situation due to his rashness.

I don't agree with all this slow run ups and slight strokes in an attempt to place the ball, when the best way to score a pen is with power.

Yet up to that point Rom had looked really positive with his goal, movement and general work rate. Unfortunately, the miss sucked it out of him!

Bringing Lennon off as well, who was by far our best player with was harassing and closing down their wide players, unbalanced the side.

The Niasse substitution was tactically naive and needless, as if he's not fit (as people keep mentioning) then Martinez should have known that.

We went from being a side who were controlling the play well and curtailing West Ham, to allowing them freedom to swing balls into the box.

Once they were able to do that and score their first goal, you could feel that it was then out of our hands and down to their effectiveness.

In the long term though, it's a hugely worrying trend that we have so often been unable to see out a game due to our frailties and mistakes.

People mention Groundhog Day... well it is certainly starting to feel like that. One step forward before the ultimate two steps back.

If we want to eventually retake a European position then we need to stop making these stupid errors as it's holding us back from success.

Getting to be a lot like Groundhog Day except the film was actually funny.
I thought exactly the same when I woke up this morning. Again and again and again.............. How many more, any other big club, he would have been binned after last seasons live comedy. I just hope the new shareholder can assert some kind of common sense and get shut of this idiot before their is a murder.

Different managers, different players required.

Moyes' Naismith didn't score a single goal, yet under Martinez he played well and scored quite a few.
Moyes' Naismith scored 4 goals and Naismith playing well under Martinez is debatable to say the least. He had a purple patch March-September 2014 but then returned to being a crime against football.

Did Slaven really say they were the better team throughout the whole 90?

No Slaven, you were battered and you got back in the game when we decided to play as Everton Football Club in minute 78 you [Poor language removed] grease monkey

If this is my last ever post on here then so be it. That is complete bollocks.

Watching the highlights afterwards mate only proved my point.

I'm not trying to sound pig-headed, but when I'm working on a game - as I was yesterday with ours - then you do have to become kind of detached and above it in order to remain observant.

Martinez, for the first 75 minutes, got his tactics spot on. The team were playing excellently and we were far the better side with 10 men. I don't think many neutrals or W.Ham fans would disagree.

That penalty miss (which obviously was touch and go whether it was a pen), shook us and that has to be on Lukaku to put that away.

To then do what Martinez did, which is undo all that good work with one of the most baffling subs that a manager has made this season, is ridiculous and something I won't defend him for.

We saw both sides of RM yesterday. A manager that knows how to set a team up and manage them from a difficult situation when we went a man down, and then the one who suddenly undid all that work with the sub and in that 10 minutes had absolutely no plan B.

I'm always adamant that the players must take some of the blame and that is still definitely the case, but I also won't defend RM on yesterday's result.

Personally, I think people do need to accept that if he went tomorrow, we wouldn't get a proven 'top' manager in. It won't happen. 1 - due to our league position, 2 - those managers are all currently at other clubs and would not leave with 10 games in a season to go.

That's why we should re-assess in the summer. Barring an FA Cup win, or if we somehow turn around this form which I think after the humiliation of yesterday will be very difficult, then he would rightly be under a lot of pressure and should probably go - if we had the replacement lined up.

But i'm not into the thought of us changing manager at this point in the season. I've seen some people suggest Ferguson, Unsworth or Sheedy. Ridiculous - no Prem experience or even senior manager experience between them.

As much as RM got it wrong the players also have to take a lot of blame for that collapse also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back