Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v West Ham. 5th March at 1500.

What do you think should be Saturday's objective?

• Three points for the royal blues

Votes: 186 49.9%
  • Lay down a performance that shows we are progressing

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • Sign Willy Caballero

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • HURT PAYET

Votes: 140 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
State of the Reffing here, he's looking right at the Keeper.

Cc0g6wsXIAEkaYg.jpg

Matinez made good players look like fools yesterday, the most bizzare
changes hes ever made, nice guy but tactically illiterate and hes not
going to change...

Antonio on Goals on Sunday saying they'd watched video's on us being pants at defending crosses and that was a tactic Bilic drilled into them.

Exactly what I said before the match but the key thing is that we were defending them well yesterday up until their first goal.

The reason for this was Lennon was either buzzing across to help stop it at source, or due to him being a more defensively-minded player, he dropped back and allowed McCarthy to drop deep into the area.

Jimmy Mac cleared loads of crosses yesterday but suddenly when Lennon went off he was out marking the midfielders due to Niasse not being at all similar to Lennon in anyway - obviously.

That meant there was space in our area and they exploited it - helped by some truly crap defending from both Jagielka and Mori.

Bilic's comments after the game did my head in saying how no one could argue West Ham didn't deserve it. Bollcoks. West Ham were crap and outplayed by 10 men. They won because Martinez made abysmal substitutions and our defence are a bunch of amateurs when it comes to dealing with crosses.

Watching the highlights afterwards mate only proved my point.

I'm not trying to sound pig-headed, but when I'm working on a game - as I was yesterday with ours - then you do have to become kind of detached and above it in order to remain observant.

Martinez, for the first 75 minutes, got his tactics spot on. The team were playing excellently and we were far the better side with 10 men. I don't think many neutrals or W.Ham fans would disagree.

That penalty miss (which obviously was touch and go whether it was a pen), shook us and that has to be on Lukaku to put that away.

To then do what Martinez did, which is undo all that good work with one of the most baffling subs that a manager has made this season, is ridiculous and something I won't defend him for.

We saw both sides of RM yesterday. A manager that knows how to set a team up and manage them from a difficult situation when we went a man down, and then the one who suddenly undid all that work with the sub and in that 10 minutes had absolutely no plan B.

I'm always adamant that the players must take some of the blame and that is still definitely the case, but I also won't defend RM on yesterday's result.

Personally, I think people do need to accept that if he went tomorrow, we wouldn't get a proven 'top' manager in. It won't happen. 1 - due to our league position, 2 - those managers are all currently at other clubs and would not leave with 10 games in a season to go.

That's why we should re-assess in the summer. Barring an FA Cup win, or if we somehow turn around this form which I think after the humiliation of yesterday will be very difficult, then he would rightly be under a lot of pressure and should probably go - if we had the replacement lined up.

But i'm not into the thought of us changing manager at this point in the season. I've seen some people suggest Ferguson, Unsworth or Sheedy. Ridiculous - no Prem experience or even senior manager experience between them.

As much as RM got it wrong the players also have to take a lot of blame for that collapse also.

I'm not convinced, after 35 minutes and knowing his history then he should have been looking at changing Mirallas after the yellow card, his change for Stones and Besic was the right move at half time.

I'm not convinced, after 35 minutes and knowing his history then he should have been looking at changing Mirallas after the yellow card, his change for Stones and Besic was the right move at half time.

Mate you can't blame him for that.

Had Mirallas being subbed off RM would have been slaughtered on here and by fans for 'taking our best player off'...

I didn't notice that at the game but he's certainly a fair way off his line, as he was often in the penalty shoot out last season.

To be fair though, Taylor was pretty dire for the majority of the game yesterday making some ridiculous decisions.
He's 3 yards off mate, it's ridiculous.

My personal view is that Martinez should now be told outright that his job is on the line and that he has until the end of the season to prove he can manage a game defensively. He will then have had three seasons with us, two of which have been very disappointing. He doesn't seem to have learned the lessons of his Wigan days and you have to wonder now whether he ever will. We have an exciting squad and yes, he has us playing some exciting football, but at the end of the day results matter, and in this area he is not proving he is up to the job. Unless there is a marked upturn by the end of the season there's no way i think we should start a new season with him. The last two substitutions in that game were imo tactically naive. It was not the time to showboat Niasse to the Goodison crowd when we were down to ten men (maybe in the last 5 minutes) and then to take Lukaku off for Barry at the end was almost like an admission he'd got it wrong with the Niasse substitution and an acknowledgement of the need to shore up defence
My personal view is that Martinez should now be told outright that his job is on the line and that he has until the end of the season to prove he can manage a game defensively. He will then have had three seasons with us, two of which have been very disappointing. He doesn't seem to have learned the lessons of his Wigan days and you have to wonder now whether he ever will. We have an exciting squad and yes, he has us playing some exciting football, but at the end of the day results matter, and in this area he is not proving he is up to the job. Unless there is a marked upturn by the end of the season there's no way i think we should start a new season with him. The last two substitutions in that game were imo tactically naive. It was not the time to showboat Niasse to the Goodison crowd when we were down to ten men (maybe in the last 5 minutes) and then to take Lukaku off for Barry at the end was almost like an admission he'd got it wrong with the Niasse substitution and an acknowledgement of the need to shore up defence when it was already too late.
telling Bobby he has until the end of the season , unfortunately isn't going to turn him into some sort of tactical God , just as the idiots who thought by making referees professional , was overnight going to give them better eye sight, be able to run faster and lose any bias etc etc etc

He has form for it as well based on the FA Cup tie last season where he was often the same distance of his line for most of their penalties.

You'd have liked someone to remind Taylor of that before hand! Still, if Rom had struck it well into the corner it shouldn't have been an issue.
Rom's Pen was feeble, and he has got form for it, you'd think one of the players would point that out to the Ref, if we remember the FA Cup they should.

telling Bobby he has until the end of the season , unfortunately isn't going to turn him into some sort of tactical God , just as the idiots who thought by making referees professional , was overnight going to give them better eye sight, be able to run faster and lose any bias etc etc etc

He showed how good he can be in that first 75 mate.

Great set up that worked very well up until Kev did what Kev does.

After that we reshuffled and Besic was superb after coming on. Rom slots that pen away and we're looking at the performance of the season.

Even so, he then manages to undo the hard work with that sub and I won't defend him or forgive him for that. I've not switched sides to wanting him out, but yesterday's result - given how things seemed to be heading in the right direction - has been a huge step back and I'm maybe now edging towards Chico territory and the fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back