Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v West Ham. 5th March at 1500.

What do you think should be Saturday's objective?

• Three points for the royal blues

Votes: 186 49.9%
  • Lay down a performance that shows we are progressing

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • Sign Willy Caballero

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • HURT PAYET

Votes: 140 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As i suggested after we went 2-0 up, we should have got the ball to one of the corner flags and got 10 men around it. (Maybe if we'd done that Mirallas wouldn't have been sent off. :) ).
I was still v positive after the pen and Lukaku's one on one. We had been moving the ball quite nicely and heading away quite comfortably. I thought he would bring on deulofeu to do lennons role. The Niasse switch just did not come off. He did not see much of the ball, did not hold it up and was not an out ball for a long clearance that Deulofeu might have been. Mind you if he had not been brought down(or was he held back?) on the edge of the box when running through..... So many ifs and buts. Can't argue with the facts we have found quite a few ways this season to spoil our own good work.

I was still v positive after the pen and Lukaku's one on one. We had been moving the ball quite nicely and heading away quite comfortably. I thought he would bring on deulofeu to do lennons role. The Niasse switch just did not come off. He did not see much of the ball, did not hold it up and was not an out ball for a long clearance that Deulofeu might have been. Mind you if he had not been brought down(or was he held back?) on the edge of the box when running through..... So many ifs and buts. Can't argue with the facts we have found quite a few ways this season to spoil our own good work.
Think Martinez said there would be disappointments ,didn't think he meant every home game tbh.

Mirallis and Martinez should go. The former was yet again sent off whilst the latter substituted Lennon with zero. We were playing with 9 men for the last 15 minutes. I hope the new investor will sort things in Summer and not wait for the start of next season.

I like both of them a lot, but i'm beginning to think that their time is up here. Mirallas has a lot of admirable qualities, but his temperament is a liability. As i've already mentioned re Martinez, i think both should be given until the end of the season to prove they deserve a place at our Club, and if not it's time to show them the door.

West Ham exploited our achilles heal and it didn't take tactical genius to do it. Bilic used the alladyce type tactic of pump the ball in the box because we have little full backs and only one CB that can possibly win a header. The CMs are bypassed with the lumps and the attackers are usually one to one with the CBs. Our RB and LB allow too much space and invite the crosses time and time again. Jags put in a good few tackles in but in the air he is not good under pressure. I hope with the money we have we can get another CB who is good in the air and more defensive minded tall LB and RB

Hmm, it would be a tough call to get rid of any of Coleman, Jags, Mori, Oviedo, Baines, Galloway, Browning. It's the midfield that needs sorting imo. An attack-minded LB and RB wouldn't be such a liability if we had a bit more defensive ability in midfield.

The goalkeeoer actually made it easier for Rom.

All he had to do when he committed himself like that was blast it down the middle or roll it into the far corner......in that picture the goalie is shaping lean to the right just as Rom is about to shoot.

Albeit he is indeed off his line and the penalty should have been retaken.

As Coutinho demonstrated last week, stopping your run just before you shoot reduces the power you can get into it and it becomes a routine save for a keeper reading you right.

The trouble with this is that goalkeepers often shape to go one way to fool the penalty taker.

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on yesterday's capitulation I've been thinking about the following. Im very disappointed in Kevin Mirallas, he had the perfect opportunity to show the class we all know he is capable of. Not only us but also Martinez to hold a first team place but also the Belgian coach ready for the Euro Championships coming up.

Obviously there is our own Mr Martinez, everyone surely must agree that given last seasons difference from his first in charge had a massive effect on the team as a whole but other players have come in this year and whilst the away form has been reasonably good the home form is way below par. Everyone has spoken about poor tactics, poor substitution choices, no plan B, inability to change the team once 2-0 up and it has been made known by a first team player a while ago (Baines) that defensive training is rare at Finch Farm. Martinez is keen to play this 'attractive football' however attractive football doesn't bring the silver pots (think back to dogs of war) thats whats lacking the grit, the determination and the nasty bite sort of a Joe Parkinson / Barry Horne type player that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and put it in when it matters.

There is too much frustration within the team, players sulking when they don't get it their way Coleman, Mirallas, McCarthy, Howard and even Barkley to name a few that are very good at spitting their dummies out when the muck hits the fan and some of them pick up silly yellow cards. There is talk of not being far off winning something well lets be honest we have come within a sniff of a trip to Wembley but blew that chance but when you look at the current squad unless there is the cash injection we are all hopeful of then we will fall behind and quickly too as others now how money.

The end of this season and the summer are one of the most important in the last 20 or so years of our Club I genuinely believe that unless there are drastic changes then capitulation will happen next season the likes of Barkley, Lukaku, Stones, Coleman, Deaulofeu, etc could leave and then who knows where we could end up. Incidentally whilst mentioning Lukaku who knows where we would be this season without him so however Bill Kenwright managed to get the £28m to sign him he deserves some recognition from the upmost of haters to respect that signing, those large shoulders of Rom's have needed to be large to carry this team this season.

Im trying to remain positive but I do stand by my feelings that Roberto is not the manager to take us forward I never realised until I saw what happened at Manchester United how important a good manager is. Tactically inept but talks a good game is how I would describe Roberto, he will sadly end up somewhere like Norwich which is probably his level.

So the rest of this season what do we have to look forward too a cup run? hopefully but hopefully without the heartache again. Beat the RS who knows with that one! but it is a massive game in the race for European qualification which is where I will stop and leave you all with the question is next season too early for European football or should we look forward more to concentrating on the League and domestic cups during this new transition in our great Club.

Its hard being an Evertonian (as my arl fella always says) but stick at it my fellow blues.

That picture also does not show the 3 or so WH players who also ran into the box before the ball was struck.......

Still, it shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place. The ref got decisions wrong all over the shop, some of which were in our favour.

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on yesterday's capitulation I've been thinking about the following. Im very disappointed in Kevin Mirallas, he had the perfect opportunity to show the class we all know he is capable of. Not only us but also Martinez to hold a first team place but also the Belgian coach ready for the Euro Championships coming up.

Obviously there is our own Mr Martinez, everyone surely must agree that given last seasons difference from his first in charge had a massive effect on the team as a whole but other players have come in this year and whilst the away form has been reasonably good the home form is way below par. Everyone has spoken about poor tactics, poor substitution choices, no plan B, inability to change the team once 2-0 up and it has been made known by a first team player a while ago (Baines) that defensive training is rare at Finch Farm. Martinez is keen to play this 'attractive football' however attractive football doesn't bring the silver pots (think back to dogs of war) thats whats lacking the grit, the determination and the nasty bite sort of a Joe Parkinson / Barry Horne type player that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and put it in when it matters.

There is too much frustration within the team, players sulking when they don't get it their way Coleman, Mirallas, McCarthy, Howard and even Barkley to name a few that are very good at spitting their dummies out when the muck hits the fan and some of them pick up silly yellow cards. There is talk of not being far off winning something well lets be honest we have come within a sniff of a trip to Wembley but blew that chance but when you look at the current squad unless there is the cash injection we are all hopeful of then we will fall behind and quickly too as others now how money.

The end of this season and the summer are one of the most important in the last 20 or so years of our Club I genuinely believe that unless there are drastic changes then capitulation will happen next season the likes of Barkley, Lukaku, Stones, Coleman, Deaulofeu, etc could leave and then who knows where we could end up. Incidentally whilst mentioning Lukaku who knows where we would be this season without him so however Bill Kenwright managed to get the £28m to sign him he deserves some recognition from the upmost of haters to respect that signing, those large shoulders of Rom's have needed to be large to carry this team this season.

Im trying to remain positive but I do stand by my feelings that Roberto is not the manager to take us forward I never realised until I saw what happened at Manchester United how important a good manager is. Tactically inept but talks a good game is how I would describe Roberto, he will sadly end up somewhere like Norwich which is probably his level.

So the rest of this season what do we have to look forward too a cup run? hopefully but hopefully without the heartache again. Beat the RS who knows with that one! but it is a massive game in the race for European qualification which is where I will stop and leave you all with the question is next season too early for European football or should we look forward more to concentrating on the League and domestic cups during this new transition in our great Club.

Its hard being an Evertonian (as my arl fella always says) but stick at it my fellow blues.

A lot of good points made in that post. I'm not so sure we need Stones now, unless he is prepared to give 100% devotion to the Club, which judging from last summer's transfer request doesn't seem likely imo. Stones has immense potential, but we have decent strength in depth now in the back four and we'd be better cashing in for good money rather than keeping a player whose heart is no longer with the Club. I'd be more gutted if we lost any of the others you mention, although Barkley is still far from the finished article imo. As for Europe, I think an FA Cup win is the only thing now that might keep the likes of Rom here next season, and given a manager who can get the best out of the squad it would be great to see what we're capable of in Europe in the next campaign. However, imo that's all hypothetical. This squad seems to have had the stuffing knocked out of them, the endless capitulations must have translated to almost zero confidence in the dressing room, and although the FA Cup is traditionally unpredictable, as proven by Martinez's Wigan amongst others, i think the chances against us winning it must be about 100-1.

A lot of good points made in that post. I'm not so sure we need Stones now, unless he is prepared to give 100% devotion to the Club, which judging from last summer's transfer request doesn't seem likely imo. Stones has immense potential, but we have decent strength in depth now in the back four and we'd be better cashing in for good money rather than keeping a player whose heart is no longer with the Club. I'd be more gutted if we lost any of the others you mention, although Barkley is still far from the finished article imo. As for Europe, I think an FA Cup win is the only thing now that might keep the likes of Rom here next season, and given a manager who can get the best out of the squad it would be great to see what we're capable of in Europe in the next campaign. However, imo that's all hypothetical. This squad seems to have had the stuffing knocked out of them, the endless capitulations must have translated to almost zero confidence in the dressing room, and although the FA Cup is traditionally unpredictable, as proven by Martinez's Wigan amongst others, i think the chances against us winning it must be about 100-1.

.....sad thing is that Chelsea at home is very winnable and we might well have another game against the Hammers this season.

.....sad thing is that Chelsea at home is very winnable and we might well have another game against the Hammers this season.

Very winnable under normal circumstances, say 4 or 5 months ago, but i now have little confidence of us getting a result in this, and even less of us picking up the trophy. Even if we beat Chelsea and face lesser teams in the following match(es) you just know we'll blow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back