Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v West Ham. 5th March at 1500.

What do you think should be Saturday's objective?

• Three points for the royal blues

Votes: 186 49.9%
  • Lay down a performance that shows we are progressing

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • Sign Willy Caballero

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • HURT PAYET

Votes: 140 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I really can't see him getting sacked before the end of the season. Uhhhh what a frustrating time tho. I'm still shocked by witnessing that game yday. Too crazy.

3 of the past 4 goals conceded Joel was rooted on his line, if not behind it. The one time he did come off his line he did so half heartedly if not reluctantly.[/QUOTE

Factual but Joel came off his line plenty of times correctly during the game. The crosses leading to the goals conceded were being dealt with perfectly well by midfielders, defenders and Joel for 78 minutes until someone unbalanced the side and allowed a free-for-all on crosses.

This is my first ever post on GOT guys. Been an avid reader for a number of years but never felt the need to post until after yesterday's game. Having gone to the game here is my take on the most salient points.

Starting formation. Where the hell did three at the back come from? RM tried it for the last 15 mins against Villa midweek and it didn't work then. Why on earth did he then decide to experiment against one of the in form teams in the premier. The only two players who knew their role in the team were Joel and Rom. Everybody else looked uncomfortable with the system, which just lends itself to the tippy tappy nonsense that I thought we had, to some degree, moved away from. It was alarming the number of times we gave the ball away in our own third and it was down to pure luck/poor hammers play that we weren't punished for our mistakes. Indeed I thought we took the lead in spite of, rather than because of, the system.

John Stones. The lad is clearly suffering some sort of confidence crisis, and I thought it was a terrible decision by RM to bring him back into the team in an experimental defensive system that none of our defenders are comfortable/familiar with. Having said that, I was both startled, and deeply saddened, by the number of fans who have so obviously turned against him. I was in the street end, and it wasn't just the odd fan shouting abuse. The amount of vitriol the young man had to put up with almost every time he touched the ball was astonishing, and I've no doubt we are driving away from our club, potentially the best defender ever to have graced our famous ground. I believe he really will be that good, and we are going to lose him.

Kevin Mirallas. I'm a Mirallas fan but I believe he deserved his red card yesterday. I absolutely hate simulation so he deserved his first card, which made the tackle for the second card total lunacy. Having said that, I felt that he was also guilty of trying too hard, which I would much rather see than somebody not putting in a shift.

Ten Men. The sending off actually worked in our favour. Reverting to a flat back 4 made us more defensively sound and, more importantly, provided a balance to our play that we didn't have with 11 players on he pitch. I thought for that last 15 mins of the first half and the first 30 of the second, we played some of the best football seen at Goodison all season. Credit RM for switching Besic for Stones at half time, although I think there were probably 35000 Evertonians in the ground who would have done exactly the same thing. We defended sensibly, fought for every ball all over the pitch, broke with pace and purpose and controlled the game without really looking under any great pressure, despite all the endeavours of the excellent Payet. The players even got the much maligned home crowd completely behind them and I was even singing myself at one stage. It's why we're Evertonians and I admit I had a lump in my throat at times during that period, because I was so proud of what the boys were doing on the pitch. I could even take on the chin Rom's penalty miss and his excellent chance soon afterwards, as we were still in control and, for once this season, I couldn't see the opposition getting back into it. Then RM made his second substitution!

Substitutions. One of my biggest issues with RM is how he manages (or rather mis-manages) games in progress. Yesterdays second substitution was probably the worst example of mismanagement yet. There have been many times this season (and last season too) when the game was crying out for change, whether it be formation, personnel or both. Yesterday though, all we had to do was keep things the same. We were in total control and were still looking dangerous on the break. Everybody looked full of energy (especially Lennon). If anything, I would probably have brought on fresh legs for Barkley, but even that would have been reluctantly as he was the springboard for most of our breaks. I was totally gobsmacked when he took off our best player and replaced him with a second striker (who incidentally doesn't look remotely like a professional footballer to me). In which football manual does it instruct you to replace a midfielder with a striker when you are 2-0 up in 15 minutes to go and own to 10 men? I think it's possibly the most ridiculous substitution I have seen in 40+ years of watching football and, along with almost everybody else inside Goodison, I was not surprised when we started to surrender our lead and ultimately lose the match. Have I ever experienced so much mixed emotions watching Everton before? Probably just the 1985 F A cup final, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Everton that though.

Still shocked, still stunned, but not surprised, Lukaku, Mirallas, and the manager were all to blame, 90 minutes of being an Evertonian on Saturday to save our season.

This is my first ever post on GOT guys. Been an avid reader for a number of years but never felt the need to post until after yesterday's game. Having gone to the game here is my take on the most salient points.

Starting formation. Where the hell did three at the back come from? RM tried it for the last 15 mins against Villa midweek and it didn't work then. Why on earth did he then decide to experiment against one of the in form teams in the premier. The only two players who knew their role in the team were Joel and Rom. Everybody else looked uncomfortable with the system, which just lends itself to the tippy tappy nonsense that I thought we had, to some degree, moved away from. It was alarming the number of times we gave the ball away in our own third and it was down to pure luck/poor hammers play that we weren't punished for our mistakes. Indeed I thought we took the lead in spite of, rather than because of, the system.

John Stones. The lad is clearly suffering some sort of confidence crisis, and I thought it was a terrible decision by RM to bring him back into the team in an experimental defensive system that none of our defenders are comfortable/familiar with. Having said that, I was both startled, and deeply saddened, by the number of fans who have so obviously turned against him. I was in the street end, and it wasn't just the odd fan shouting abuse. The amount of vitriol the young man had to put up with almost every time he touched the ball was astonishing, and I've no doubt we are driving away from our club, potentially the best defender ever to have graced our famous ground. I believe he really will be that good, and we are going to lose him.

Kevin Mirallas. I'm a Mirallas fan but I believe he deserved his red card yesterday. I absolutely hate simulation so he deserved his first card, which made the tackle for the second card total lunacy. Having said that, I felt that he was also guilty of trying too hard, which I would much rather see than somebody not putting in a shift.

Ten Men. The sending off actually worked in our favour. Reverting to a flat back 4 made us more defensively sound and, more importantly, provided a balance to our play that we didn't have with 11 players on he pitch. I thought for that last 15 mins of the first half and the first 30 of the second, we played some of the best football seen at Goodison all season. Credit RM for switching Besic for Stones at half time, although I think there were probably 35000 Evertonians in the ground who would have done exactly the same thing. We defended sensibly, fought for every ball all over the pitch, broke with pace and purpose and controlled the game without really looking under any great pressure, despite all the endeavours of the excellent Payet. The players even got the much maligned home crowd completely behind them and I was even singing myself at one stage. It's why we're Evertonians and I admit I had a lump in my throat at times during that period, because I was so proud of what the boys were doing on the pitch. I could even take on the chin Rom's penalty miss and his excellent chance soon afterwards, as we were still in control and, for once this season, I couldn't see the opposition getting back into it. Then RM made his second substitution!

Substitutions. One of my biggest issues with RM is how he manages (or rather mis-manages) games in progress. Yesterdays second substitution was probably the worst example of mismanagement yet. There have been many times this season (and last season too) when the game was crying out for change, whether it be formation, personnel or both. Yesterday though, all we had to do was keep things the same. We were in total control and were still looking dangerous on the break. Everybody looked full of energy (especially Lennon). If anything, I would probably have brought on fresh legs for Barkley, but even that would have been reluctantly as he was the springboard for most of our breaks. I was totally gobsmacked when he took off our best player and replaced him with a second striker (who incidentally doesn't look remotely like a professional footballer to me). In which football manual does it instruct you to replace a midfielder with a striker when you are 2-0 up in 15 minutes to go and own to 10 men? I think it's possibly the most ridiculous substitution I have seen in 40+ years of watching football and, along with almost everybody else inside Goodison, I was not surprised when we started to surrender our lead and ultimately lose the match. Have I ever experienced so much mixed emotions watching Everton before? Probably just the 1985 F A cup final, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Everton that though.

Welcome mate, always good to see fans getting involved.

It would be different if this was a once in a blue moon deal. We have dropped so many points from winning positions that I am concerned about Roberto's credibility. Excellent eye for talent, but he seemingly can't manage a game to save his life. So many poor substitutions and decisions that have cost us week after week. It's getting old.

Don't pay attention to the haters. Your positivity and civility and general vibe a genuinely welcome presence here. Too many angry haters. Know you can fight your corner but wanted to nail my colors to the mast. This place has gotten feral in the last couple of months. Real shame.
I'm not a hater, didn't realise the lad was being genuine, he was agreeing with everyone, thought he was taking the piste,
Sincere apologies Carlos, my mistake, thanks for pointing it out LAToffee.

Welcome mate, always good to see fans getting involved.
Apologies for the verbals. Obviously had a lot to get off the old chest. And I meant to refer to the 1986 cup final by the way. The 85 one was bad enough but I was still so hung over from Rotterdam that I hardly noticed. The 86 final against the RS was the killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back