Everton Youth Teams Thread

Just turned it on late. Looks like Connolly is playing RM (done well in a couple of attacks I saw) ahead of Kenny. Haven't seen Dowell so I assume he's been taken off.

He was subbed around 60 mins.
Mexico defended well but England pretty crap in attack, missing DCL and lookman

So we finally make changes at academy level, get the best England youth teams we've had in yonks, and now we're forced to stick them in this crap formation just because Southgate likes it.

We will not win this tournament playing 3 at the back.
Hope this isn't what we're going to see at all age groups now. Having said that, Kenny is a natural for the RCB role. Only saw the last half hour but thought he was imperious. Thought we were very lightweight up front. There must be at least half a dozen forward players missing from that group. DCL, Lookman, Roberts, Izzy Brown, Solanke, Onomah and Ejaria just off the top of my head.

Hope this isn't what we're going to see at all age groups now. Having said that, Kenny is a natural for the RCB role. Only saw the last half hour but thought he was imperious. Thought we were very lightweight up front. There must be at least half a dozen forward players missing from that group. DCL, Lookman, Roberts, Izzy Brown, Solanke, Onomah and Ejaria just off the top of my head.

We've created barely anything in both games so far. Very, very boring to watch.

Didn't see the first game. This was very boring the 30 mins I saw.

I can understand why Southgate is going with a back 3 for the England team. It's because we have an absolutely awful midfield. But our young teams have some very good midfielders and I don't want to see our exciting youngsters stymied by tactics.

0-O Final score England v Mexico. Dowell didn’t make much of an impact, a few neat turns and layoffs but not a lot. Connolly was sound , without being spectacular , made his headers and his tackles, played right side of midfield ahead of Kenny, with initially Dowell either alongside him on the right or slightly ahead of him.
Kenny was our best player of the three, playing the right-sided back in a back three. Can’t think he did much wrong all game. I am only really interested in Everton players and what they are doing on the pitch, so for me it was good experience for Jonjoe playing this role. He was very disciplined in his play , sticking with his attacker, playing simple balls to GK or long balls upfield , but rarely venturing too far forward, which is what you’d expect of him in this role . He won a surprising amount of headers , something we’ve seen of him throughout the England age levels.

The Charlton CB , Konsa, was playing the other side of the back three, he looked comfortable too and is someone we were vaguely interested in around January time. Too good for our U23s though and probably too young to put into a first team squad. A decent player .
Lainez one to watch.
Indeed, he looked Mexico’s best player, tricky 17 year old who likes to run at and beat defenders, referred to as “ the Mexican Messi”;:oops:, certainly can only shoot with his left foot. Will probably appear at City and be loaned out.

A little off topic, but do ye remember that exciting Venezuela u20 team last summer that England beat in the final... The Man City reference reminded me of Yangel Herrera (played pretty much a full season for New York City). Watford's Adalberto Peñaranda played a bit for Malaga on loan.
The real star looked to be Yeferson Soteldo though (all 5' 3" of him). He's playing for
Universidad de Chile on loan from
Huachipato - any chance Marcel has any contacts in Chile?

A little off topic, but do ye remember that exciting Venezuela u20 team last summer that England beat in the final... The Man City reference reminded me of Yangel Herrera (played pretty much a full season for New York City). Watford's Adalberto Peñaranda played a bit for Malaga on loan.
The real star looked to be Yeferson Soteldo though (all 5' 3" of him). He's playing for
Universidad de Chile on loan from
Huachipato - any chance Marcel has any contacts in Chile?

Wouldn't get a work permit for them. Think Watford have to send out Peneranda AGAIN this Summer which they're annoyed about.

..no, I just think he was a better option than playing a pub player at LB, in the same way way I thought Dowell was the best RM option before Walcott arrived. I don’t know how that would manifest itself in points, I just think it would’ve added better balance, blend, creativity and goals to the team.

Fixed.

Still find it hard to believe Aidy Boothroyd has been put in charge of our most important age group team, and at the time where it contains one of our most talented crops of youngsters for a long time.

Using davek parlance it's like feeding strawberries to donkeys

I completely forgot about Roberts, has he been injured do you know? Seems to have fallen off the radar a bit.

He's a player i'd love us to bring in if we could, think he's got a lot of ability and maybe offers something we don't currently have.

Yeah, it seems we are lacking in the creative department in both games, i dont know what the reasoning for leaving certain players out is. At first i thought it may be down to who made alot of appearences this season, or who may be close to going into the england 1st team (e.g Solanke, DCL, Lookman etc) but they still selected players like Cook and Abraham who both have first team caps, and in cooks case on the stand by list

I completely forgot about Roberts, has he been injured do you know? Seems to have fallen off the radar a bit.

He's a player i'd love us to bring in if we could, think he's got a lot of ability and maybe offers something we don't currently have.
It appears he suffered a really bad hamstring injury which kept him out until end of March, and then struggled for game time. So he sounds like the ideal Everton player. Sign him up.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back