Everton Youth Teams Thread

Any good? England youth player...
Defensive midfielder who sometimes plays at the back. Pkayed in the u17 euto final we lost to Spain on pens but didnt make the subsequent WC squad. Not in the same lecel as Walsh Davies Beni or Ledson for me. If he goes I wouldnt be overly bothered.

Well Alex Denny is currently out in China with England u18s. He played in their Euro 17s team but not the one who won the U17 WC. In their first season for us only Denny and Hornby of the outside players looked any good, andwhile not spectacular, Denny made good progress last season. He’s quite big for his age and I can see him forming a good midfield partnership with Adeniran and Malenko next season for U23s, then we’ll see which one of them is capable of stepping up.

The Apollon selection was really “last man standing” stuff, I think Adeniran or Markelo would have gone if they’d been available, but Denny is younger so not a fair comparison perhaps. We should have tied him down before now, he was always going to come out of the Academy into the U23s .

As Echoed above really, he's a big lad but looks a little cumbersome to me. Always played above himself which is good, but I wonder how much of that is down to size.

I'd say behind Beni, and possibly even Joe Williams.

As an aside, Rangers would be a great move for him. If this is the route Gerrard goes down, I think it's pretty smart. If we let him go, we do need to start insisting on but back fees though.

I wonder if the role of David Unsworth will change when Silva arrives.
It would make sense to involve him with the first team in some capacity as he has brought so many through the academy to the first team.

I have a slight suspicion he may be invited to move on.

I've quoted these from the Silva thread to here.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Unsworth, I hope he stays, his role is likely to change if he does though, In the last couple of seasons he's had his own scouting system run by Jamie Hoyland and a budget to select his own player purchases (possibly overseen by Steve Walsh, who knows?), that's likely to change now with Brands in charge, the idea being to have a more coordinated approach to recruitment throughout the club.

All four of our lads played some part in the Under 21 4-0 defeat of Qatar. Didn't see the game but we finished 2nd in group to Mexico on same points and goal difference, so our participation in the semi final is not yet assured. Only the best placed second goes through, but Togo would need to hammer France by 3 goals or more to finish with a better record and you can't see that happening.

Scotland, for whom Fraser Hornby has been starring, have an excellent opportunity to reach the semi finals too if they beat South Korea tomorrow, knocking out favourites France along the way.

Be interested to see how Lewis Gibson progresses, was very highly rated and we paid biggish money for a boy his age.

...terrific last season as left sided CB. Powerful lad with a great attitude, he ended up captain of U23s in Feeney’s absence. I think we’ll find out a lot more in the next 12 months but there’s no doubt he’s developing in the right direction.

I think they are in the same position as Togo - ie they have to win by a four-goal margin to knock out England.
Only if they end up second if that makes sense. If they win the group they go through anyway. If they both win 1-0 say I think Togo go through on scoring more goals and Scotland go out.

...terrific last season as left sided CB. Powerful lad with a great attitude, he ended up captain of U23s in Feeney’s absence. I think we’ll find out a lot more in the next 12 months but there’s no doubt he’s developing in the right direction.
What made him stand out for me was his ability and composure on the ball. Never flustered and always seemed able to find a man without the sideways passing we're so used to seeing with the first team.

The only question mark I would have over him as a central defender is his height. He may be powerful as you say but he isn't particularly tall. Having said that I don't think that's such a huge problem in the modern game provided you have enough height within the team for set pieces. Something we need to address this summer.

What made him stand out for me was his ability and composure on the ball. Never flustered and always seemed able to find a man without the sideways passing we're so used to seeing with the first team.

The only question mark I would have over him as a central defender is his height. He may be powerful as you say but he isn't particularly tall. Having said that I don't think that's such a huge problem in the modern game provided you have enough height within the team for set pieces. Something we need to address this summer.

..totally agree, Fred. Height might be an issue which is why I wouldn’t totally rule out him playing a bit more at LB. saying that, he’s not small by any means and the bulk does help when challenging in the air.

How tall is he?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back