Everton Youth Teams Thread

I have a rule that unless you are knocking on the door at 18 for the first team the chances of it being opened are low... maybe I've being ruined by Rooney and Barkley who were both basically men at 18. I have no idea what they look for when a player like Walsh who appeared to the the most influential player at youth level was not considered worth a go but Baningime was.

I think it's going to be very hard for the kids and more will fall away that "we" consider great. Without long enough to checkout the kids the management need to buy players they are sure can improve the team instead of gambling on a youngster Unsworth might be punting. I have no doubt Liam Walsh would have got a run or 2 with Moyes as we didn't have the budget.

Interesting to see what RLC said about Chelsea and that's why our best 18 and 19 year olds should be playing on loan every week. Can't beat a league game with something on the line. I find the whole youth thing absorbing and exciting but very disheartening at the same time when personal favourites drop off.

I find it a little frustrating when an excellent youth prospect is cut off by us purchasing a little more developed prospect off another club. Would our own player not have achieved the same level with the other club and the only difference is exposure.

Somehow this ended up in a dump of my ponderings.. so I'll end off by saying I hope one day we'll spunk £30m in little Liam's Walsh to come back!

You have.

According to Twitter we have signed some kid from Fulham, Garcia?

In a similar vein, I picked up the other week that we were signing an England u16 player from Fulham , Rafael Garcia. I would guess from his age that he will be in the next batch of Scholars , so if it has happened we may not know until July.

I have a rule that unless you are knocking on the door at 18 for the first team the chances of it being opened are low... maybe I've being ruined by Rooney and Barkley who were both basically men at 18. I have no idea what they look for when a player like Walsh who appeared to the the most influential player at youth level was not considered worth a go but Baningime was.

I think it's going to be very hard for the kids and more will fall away that "we" consider great. Without long enough to checkout the kids the management need to buy players they are sure can improve the team instead of gambling on a youngster Unsworth might be punting. I have no doubt Liam Walsh would have got a run or 2 with Moyes as we didn't have the budget.

Interesting to see what RLC said about Chelsea and that's why our best 18 and 19 year olds should be playing on loan every week. Can't beat a league game with something on the line. I find the whole youth thing absorbing and exciting but very disheartening at the same time when personal favourites drop off.

I find it a little frustrating when an excellent youth prospect is cut off by us purchasing a little more developed prospect off another club. Would our own player not have achieved the same level with the other club and the only difference is exposure.

Somehow this ended up in a dump of my ponderings.. so I'll end off by saying I hope one day we'll spunk £30m in little Liam's Walsh to come back!

..I was a big Walsh fan too but to be fair he’s not been pulling up trees in the Championship. Beningame was clearly not as pleasing on the eye but he was very effective in that defensive midfield role. He was absolutely a stand out when the kids won the Dallas Cup a few years ago.

It’s a good point, though, about knocking on the first team door at 18. There are exceptions like Osman who was a brilliant youth player but plagued by injury. I suppose Gordon and Hornby have already had first team experience so the signs are good for them. Lewis Gibson will be hitting that age next year and has captained the U23s.

We will know about Garcia this coming week when the new Scholars are usually announced. The source I saw on him last December rated him highly from his England appearances, guess we’ll find out this coming season. I’m quite excited about the new Scholars , potentially the best bunch for a few years.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/07/04/fraser-hornby

Everton Under-23s striker Fraser Hornby declared his determination to continue his impressive progress at the Club after signing his first professional contract until the end of June 2021.

The 18-year-old has been rewarded after an encouraging year which saw him move up from the Under-18s to establish himself as a key figure for David Unsworth’s side, make his Everton first-team debut and feature for Scotland Under-21s.

Hornby – who joined the Toffees four years ago from Northampton Town – is now eager to build on his breakthrough 12 months with the Blues.

“Every young lad’s dream is to become a professional footballer and it’s my first professional deal so I’m just delighted and I can’t wait to get started now,” Hornby told evertontv.

“It’s been a memorable 12 months, considering at the start of last season I was coming back from a long-term injury.

“My main focus was just getting back playing again, scoring goals, and I had a few chances with the Under-23s. It was crazy season but full of memories and hopefully this year will bring a few more.

“Making my first-team debut was just an amazing experience. The whole occasion, travelling with the team, it being an away game, seeing all the fans - hopefully I can get more experiences like that in the future.”

After getting off to a flying start to the 2017/18 season, hitting three goals in his opening three league games for the Under-18s, Hornby was promoted to the Under-23s side.

The striker’s consistently impressive displays for the young Blues saw him handed a first-team debut as Everton took on Apollon Limassol in a Europa League clash December, leading the line with confidence and authority as the Toffees ran out 3-0 winners in Cyprus.

Hornby’s progress was recognised by Scotland Under-21 boss and former Everton midfielder Scot Gemmill, who named the youngster in his squad for this summer’s Toulon Tournament in France.

The striker went on to play an integral role as the focal point of the Scots’ attack, starting every game as they reached the semi-finals of the tournament. Scotland were edged out by eventual champions England in the last four, whose squad featured Toffees quartet Callum Connolly, Tom Davies, Kieran Dowell and Jonjoe Kenny.

Hornby’s focus is now back on Everton and the Northampton-born striker is convinced the Club provides the perfect platform for him to realise his potential.

The teenager has taken significant strides since arriving at the Blues as a midfielder back in 2014 - and has now developed into a powerful and clinical centre-forward.

“Even when I was playing in midfield I’d like to get forward and get in the box, so when [Under-18 coach] Paul Tait and Kevin Sheedy moved me to striker at Under-18s, I could just see myself playing there for many years,” Hornby explained. “I’m happy playing as a striker now and I’m looking forward to improving. I’ve only played there for a season so there’s a lot more work to do.

“Everton is a very family-orientated club, which is what I like about the place. You feel very comfortable and feel like you can express yourself. It’s a great place to be.”

Hornby is very raw at 18 , with a lot to learn about the striker role, but equally you would class him as a raw talent. He’s still got the touch of a midfielder and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets played there again , he’s a bit like Fellaini in that respect a real handful with his height. He’s the first genuine striker with potential we’ve had at U23s level for years, if he can score lots of goals at that level it’ll be a huge plus for him and the team.

As a final thought, it’s a bit odd that we waited until now to give him a contract. His Scholar contract would have been up and there are a number of talented youngsters jumping ship at the end of their Scholarship to sign contracts abroad. I guess he and the club must have been very comfortable with their arrangement.

Anyone know if Hornby is good enough to be able to get any minutes off the bench for the first team this season?

Based on what I saw against Limassol last season, I thought he was outstanding and am surprised he hasn't had more of a first team sniff since.

Also from what I hear, Hornby trains well and is a model pro..(Snigger snigger, gets coat and leaves)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back