Everton Youth Teams Thread

Based on what I saw against Limassol last season, I thought he was outstanding and am surprised he hasn't had more of a first team sniff since.

Also from what I hear, Hornby trains well and is a model pro..(Snigger snigger, gets coat and leaves)
Delayed at least an hour, sun on the track.

Including DCL?
I never regarded DCL as someone we developed into the U23s, within months he was making his 1st team debut, then injured and as far as I recall didn’t score frequently for the U23s. My point is that we haven’t had a striker scoring at U23s/21 for years. Last season I can’t even remember who the top scorer was, season before it was Harry Charsley with about 10. So Hornby has the potential to score lots of goals for the U23s , something I feel we’ve lacked previously.

I never regarded DCL as someone we developed into the U23s, within months he was making his 1st team debut, then injured and as far as I recall didn’t score frequently for the U23s. My point is that we haven’t had a striker scoring at U23s/21 for years. Last season I can’t even remember who the top scorer was, season before it was Harry Charsley with about 10. So Hornby has the potential to score lots of goals for the U23s , something I feel we’ve lacked previously.

speaking of charsley he seems to have disappeared off the planet after his loan to bolton.
edit. just seen him in pics with unsworth and a few other u23s at that house for the homeless they bought

speaking of charsley he seems to have disappeared off the planet after his loan to bolton.
edit. just seen him in pics with unsworth and a few other u23s at that house for the homeless they bought
Charsley looks like he’s filled out a bit in the pics, Matty Foulds as skinny as ever and Feeney as peely wally as ever. I wonder how fit Feeney is as I’d expect him to be in the England U19s squad for the Euro U19 tournament starting in a week or so.

I have a rule that unless you are knocking on the door at 18 for the first team the chances of it being opened are low... maybe I've being ruined by Rooney and Barkley who were both basically men at 18. I have no idea what they look for when a player like Walsh who appeared to the the most influential player at youth level was not considered worth a go but Baningime was.

I think it's going to be very hard for the kids and more will fall away that "we" consider great. Without long enough to checkout the kids the management need to buy players they are sure can improve the team instead of gambling on a youngster Unsworth might be punting. I have no doubt Liam Walsh would have got a run or 2 with Moyes as we didn't have the budget.

Interesting to see what RLC said about Chelsea and that's why our best 18 and 19 year olds should be playing on loan every week. Can't beat a league game with something on the line. I find the whole youth thing absorbing and exciting but very disheartening at the same time when personal favourites drop off.

I find it a little frustrating when an excellent youth prospect is cut off by us purchasing a little more developed prospect off another club. Would our own player not have achieved the same level with the other club and the only difference is exposure.

Somehow this ended up in a dump of my ponderings.. so I'll end off by saying I hope one day we'll spunk £30m in little Liam's Walsh to come back!

..I was a big Walsh fan too but to be fair he’s not been pulling up trees in the Championship. Beningame was clearly not as pleasing on the eye but he was very effective in that defensive midfield role. He was absolutely a stand out when the kids won the Dallas Cup a few years ago.

It’s a good point, though, about knocking on the first team door at 18. There are exceptions like Osman who was a brilliant youth player but plagued by injury. I suppose Gordon and Hornby have already had first team experience so the signs are good for them. Lewis Gibson will be hitting that age next year and has captained the U23s.

Maybe you would expect top, top players to be knocking on the door around 18 - Rooney, Barkley, Lampards and Gerrards etc, but even then only a few mins here and there generally. Plenty of other very good players won't have made their debuts or really started to become full time part of the squad until a few years later. It's only really about 21 imo that you have to start thinking about whether they are going to make the step up, and even then some will develop later than that.

Based on what I saw against Limassol last season, I thought he was outstanding and am surprised he hasn't had more of a first team sniff since.

Also from what I hear, Hornby trains well and is a model pro..(Snigger snigger, gets coat and leaves)
Hopefully the lad keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't go off the rails...

With this new contract and the move to playing as a striker, he's certainly on the right track...

Lavery signed a 1-year deal.

..just read that myself on the OS. Interesting. I suppose 1 year is designed to analyse over a season rather than tie the lad up on a lengthy contract when there is little chance of him coming through.

The Mathew Pennington contract surprised me. 3 years when we are looking to reduce the squad size and rumours that Leeds were happy to take him on a permanent deal.

..just read that myself on the OS. Interesting. I suppose 1 year is designed to analyse over a season rather than tie the lad up on a lengthy contract when there is little chance of him coming through.

The Mathew Pennington contract surprised me. 3 years when we are looking to reduce the squad size and rumours that Leeds were happy to take him on a permanent deal.

Yeh not really a massive Lavery fan myself but he’s in with the national team now so I guess this is his final look over?

Penno I dunno, depends which regime sanctioned that.

Yeh not really a massive Lavery fan myself but he’s in with the national team now so I guess this is his final look over?

Penno I dunno, depends which regime sanctioned that.

...yes, Lavery made his NI debut against Panama. He’s what I call a nice and tidy footballer, I can see the logic in him staying another season.

I think Pennington signed before Brands’ appointment but I would’ve thought he was consulted.

Maybe you would expect top, top players to be knocking on the door around 18 - Rooney, Barkley, Lampards and Gerrards etc, but even then only a few mins here and there generally. Plenty of other very good players won't have made their debuts or really started to become full time part of the squad until a few years later. It's only really about 21 imo that you have to start thinking about whether they are going to make the step up, and even then some will develop later than that.

With this new contract and the move to playing as a striker, he's certainly on the right track...
Obviously there are always exceptions to the rule but I think it's worth pointing out that of the 20 outfield players England have selected for this World Cup (keepers are a bit different) 12 of them made their England debut at 21 or younger. I think that shows that if you've not even made it into your club side by that age, you may well not make the step up.

Of the other 8, 3 had 'unconventional' paths to the national side, in that they were seemingly late bloomers who made their way up through the leagues, so only 5 of the 20 were at PL clubs but not playing for England at 21.

This is why I find it odd sometimes that people make out like DCL, Holgate and Kenny can't be expected to perform at a reasonable level in the PL yet but are destined for greatness. The fact is, most of the players who make it at the top are well on their way there at 21.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back